Emory it is.....question about research grants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uralva

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've finally decided on Emory for some very pragmatic reasons (I wanna see my kids and I want to do the EPI track, neither of which is possible at GSU - night classes/no EPI). I thought once I decided I would feel better and excited, but I'm having severe angst over the debt. I don't think economic news is helping.

Does anyone here - especially those currently in an MPH program or graduated from one - know if there are opportunities to participate in some existing research at a university for a stipend or if non-phd students ever get research grants funded?

Members don't see this ad.

i feel you uralva. family first, then others follow. i had to pick emory over johns hopkins, my dream school because of my family. Thanks for the accommodation information.I am trying to process my financial papers for from i-20

for me it is between Emory (Global Health) and Georgia State University (Health Promotion). Emory did not offer me crap, but GSU offered me the Georgia Foundation Scholarship which will cover about 60% of my tuition. Right not I am struggling to decided whether going into major debt with Emory is worth it even though I know that they are the better program. But it also seems that GSU wants me there since they are offering a scholarship.

There are options for MPH students to get funding but it is really hard to come by (sorry) What I have been told is that there are no real scholarships for MPH but students can be Research Assistants (RA) or Teaching Assistants (TA) or maybe use work study to get a little. RA and TA usually get a tuition waiver of some sort plus a stipend but it has to be awarded to you by the program in which you have applied. I am not attending Emory but I would suggest contacting some on in the program you are attending- not necessarily the school..

Good luck..
I've finally decided on Emory for some very pragmatic reasons (I wanna see my kids and I want to do the EPI track, neither of which is possible at GSU - night classes/no EPI). I thought once I decided I would feel better and excited, but I'm having severe angst over the debt. I don't think economic news is helping.

Does anyone here - especially those currently in an MPH program or graduated from one - know if there are opportunities to participate in some existing research at a university for a stipend or if non-phd students ever get research grants funded?