Emory vs. UGA in Epidemiology PhD and Infectious Disease Modeling Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epiantGI17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a prospective PhD student who has received admission offer from both Emory University and University of Georgia (UGA). I am very interested in describing infectious disease processes by analyzing risk factors (using statistical methods), as well as modeling disease dynamics. Career-wise, I would like to work with federal or state public health agency on infectious disease control and prevention after PhD (I worked with CDC as a research fellow for a year, and I fairly enjoyed it).

This is what I think so far about the two schools: Emory has a very prestigious Epi PhD program, which put great emphasis on statistical applications and classical epidemiologic methods including causal inferences. The program has started to expand more on dynamical epidemiology in the past few years. On the other hand, UGA has a smaller and younger program (relatively less known compared to Emory). But it seems to have great capacity in infectious disease modeling research, as the epi department has a very strong collaboration with their ecology department, which houses a great number of infectious disease modelers and disease ecologist. I am not that familiar with Emory's resources/capacity in disease ecology (apart from what epi department can offer).

With those said, I am wondering which program would best serve my academic and career interests? Any educated opinions will be deeply appreciated and most welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a PhD student in Public Health (not in Epi at a small university). I strongly recommend you to study at Emory. Better network connections, better professors, and well funded PhD in PhD in Public Health programs. You will easily get a great job with a degree from a prestigious school like Emory. Good luck!

I worked at Emory for a few years and can say they have very strong ties with CDC. Some of the work and research I've done is based on my earlier work.

I cannot speak to UGA and their ties.

Either way, those early research/work relationships will lead to opportunities. I found my experience at Emory opened a bunch of doors to other research, medical, and disaster preparedness work that I've had the chance to participate.

Wook