Emory RSPH - Fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the same thing even though I'm not in excess for a graduate program. Maybe it's a glitch? *fingers crossed*

Oh I'm hoping, too. This actually makes me feel much better as I've been quite nervous over the last few days.

I've never taken out grad loans and I'm well under my limits for undergrad ( < the 23k for subsidized and I have no unsubsidized loans).

I've had a heck of time with financial aid all throughout undergrad so fighting with grad schools is the LAST thing I want to do.

Members don't see this ad.

It's probably a glitch in OPUS and I wouldn't be concerned. Emory will provide sufficient funding to pay for your tuition and living expenses. Most students are able to get by on Federal Stafford Loans, assuming you have saved a little bit for grad school or are willing to work to subsidize your general living expenses. Otherwise you can take out Grad Plus Loans to finance what isn't covered by Stafford Loans. While you won't get rich off the positions, Emory also offers basically the equivalent of a federal work called the Rollins Experience Program which provides you with an opportunity to land a paid internship with a 4k annual stipend. A lot of students work at the CDC, CARE, or for policy/advocacy groups. In my case I work in a health system assisting with reporting to the joint commissions and CMS. Also consider that you get the opportunity to work over the summer to subsidize your income. This of course is heavily dependent on your concentration/interests. Within the Health Policy & Management concentration, most students pursue positions with GAO, healthcare consulting firms, health systems, or healthcare payers in the summer. Most of the other concentrations seek federal positions, non-profit positions, or receive grants for international research positions. Epi kind of goes in several different directions, with typically a mix of private and public sector summer internships. Oh, and to allay the concerns about living expenses in Atlanta it's definitely not that expensive. I'm currently doing a house share approximately 1 mile from RSPH and I pay less than $600 a month, utilities included. Looking forward to meeting the new admits at Visit Emory! I'm not biased or anything but I think Rollins has a great culture you won't find anywhere else, incredible research opportunities, top notch facilities, and a really good alumni network which opens a lot of doors.

It's probably a glitch in OPUS and I wouldn't be concerned. Emory will provide sufficient funding to pay for your tuition and living expenses. Most students are able to get by on Federal Stafford Loans, assuming you have saved a little bit for grad school or are willing to work to subsidize your general living expenses. Otherwise you can take out Grad Plus Loans to finance what isn't covered by Stafford Loans. While you won't get rich off the positions, Emory also offers basically the equivalent of a federal work called the Rollins Experience Program which provides you with an opportunity to land a paid internship with a 4k annual stipend. A lot of students work at the CDC, CARE, or for policy/advocacy groups. In my case I work in a health system assisting with reporting to the joint commissions and CMS. Also consider that you get the opportunity to work over the summer to subsidize your income. This of course is heavily dependent on your concentration/interests. Within the Health Policy & Management concentration, most students pursue positions with GAO, healthcare consulting firms, health systems, or healthcare payers in the summer. Most of the other concentrations seek federal positions, non-profit positions, or receive grants for international research positions. Epi kind of goes in several different directions, with typically a mix of private and public sector summer internships. Oh, and to allay the concerns about living expenses in Atlanta it's definitely not that expensive. I'm currently doing a house share approximately 1 mile from RSPH and I pay less than $600 a month, utilities included. Looking forward to meeting the new admits at Visit Emory! I'm not biased or anything but I think Rollins has a great culture you won't find anywhere else, incredible research opportunities, top notch facilities, and a really good alumni network which opens a lot of doors.

Wow, tons of great info here! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the info. As much as I love Emory (it is without a doubt my top choice), I refuse to go that far in to debt for any school =/

On an earlier topic, I contacted my undergrad and there's nothing wrong with my loans. It's an error of some sort on Emory's part. I'm not sure why we all got that notification but it doesn't seem to be our fault :)

That's a legitimate concern and ultimately a personal decision. I ended up working a few years before I went back to get my MPH and was fortunate enough to get employer tuition reimbursement to pay for the majority of my MBA with the rest out of pocket. When I decided to get my second masters degree in public health at Emory, I financed it mostly through Stafford Loans. As has been voiced before, the cost of Emory nearly made me to decide to go elsewhere. However what ultimately galvanized my decision to attend Emory was objectively assessing what I wanted out of the degree. I wanted the opportunity to tailor my coursework to my career aspirations. Emory met that criteria. The university charges at a block rate so last semester I was able to take additional business school classes in addition to my public health classes at no extra charge. I knew that the network mattered to me. If you go to Visit Emory, I am sure you will hear the three steps to being placed in your dream job from Career Services: Network, Network, and Network! To that end, the university is uber career oriented and has networking and career nights/events almost weekly. Finally, I looked at the payback period, industry salary average for my career path, and the projected return on investment for the degree. Yes, that's very businessy. Yet regardless of industry this is important. Look at the 5-10 year horizon and ask yourself "will the name of your degree matter for the position you want?" Graduate school has a strong branding component so if the position you want requires a 'strong brand' then obviously the reputation of the school matters. If the position is seniority based and branding doesn't matter as much then that should be taken into consideration as well. Ultimately the message I am trying to convey is when deciding on a graduate school look at a variety of metrics when weighing your decision. I am sure that there are other great public health programs out there with great bang for the buck (UNC and Michigan in-state anyone?) but in addition to making your decision based on price, also base your decision on your career needs.

That's a legitimate concern and ultimately a personal decision. I ended up working a few years before I went back to get my MPH and was fortunate enough to get employer tuition reimbursement to pay for the majority of my MBA with the rest out of pocket. When I decided to get my second masters degree in public health at Emory, I financed it mostly through Stafford Loans. As has been voiced before, the cost of Emory nearly made me to decide to go elsewhere. However what ultimately galvanized my decision to attend Emory was objectively assessing what I wanted out of the degree. I wanted the opportunity to tailor my coursework to my career aspirations. Emory met that criteria. The university charges at a block rate so last semester I was able to take additional business school classes in addition to my public health classes at no extra charge. I knew that the network mattered to me. If you go to Visit Emory, I am sure you will hear the three steps to being placed in your dream job from Career Services: Network, Network, and Network! To that end, the university is uber career oriented and has networking and career nights/events almost weekly. Finally, I looked at the payback period, industry salary average for my career path, and the projected return on investment for the degree. Yes, that's very businessy. Yet regardless of industry this is important. Look at the 5-10 year horizon and ask yourself "will the name of your degree matter for the position you want?" Graduate school has a strong branding component so if the position you want requires a 'strong brand' then obviously the reputation of the school matters. If the position is seniority based and branding doesn't matter as much then that should be taken into consideration as well. Ultimately the message I am trying to convey is when deciding on a graduate school look at a variety of metrics when weighing your decision. I am sure that there are other great public health programs out there with great bang for the buck (UNC and Michigan in-state anyone?) but in addition to making your decision based on price, also base your decision on your career needs.

Ha! Funny enough that you mention that as I'm in-state to Michigan and that's likely where I'm going.

No I totally get all of that. I'm going to my MPH straight from UG and my partner and I have 50k in debt between us already. That's why it's just not practical to take that kind of debt, no matter how much I love a school. ESPECIALLY since I can go to U of M for a bargain.

Ah well it's all in theory anyway until Emory sends us our FA packages :)

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions!

Anyone planning on going down for the admitted students days in March?

Anyone planning on going down for the admitted students days in March?

Yes, just bought my tickets down there a few days ago. Hopefully we'll meet more students like you enox, willing to really talk about their experiences. Thanks for the insight!

Hey guys! After you turned in your app to SOPHAS did Emory wait until it was approved or do they accept you before they approve it?

Hey guys! After you turned in your app to SOPHAS did Emory wait until it was approved or do they accept you before they approve it?

The initial verification and gpa calculation? SOPHAS won't even send it to Emory until this has happened.

Oh okay. I know other schools can still take a look at the application, essay, etc even before SOPHAS verifies it because they have access once the payment is sent and everything. I'm just worried because I sent my app in a few weeks ago but SOPHAS still hasn't verified my application. :(

Oh okay. I know other schools can still take a look at the application, essay, etc even before SOPHAS verifies it because they have access once the payment is sent and everything. I'm just worried because I sent my app in a few weeks ago but SOPHAS still hasn't verified my application. :(

I didn't know that was the case, I thought schools could only see that you designated them before materials are mailed. If some schools can then I'm sure Emory can too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there!

Awesome, me too! :D It'll definitely be great to get some feedback from students and scope out the faculty/Atlanta. I've never lived further south than NJ so I'm a little nervous about that but I've heard Atlanta is great.

I'm from NJ but went to school in NC and have lived here ever since - the South is amazing!

I went on OPUS and there was a new link for "Emory Financial Aid". I clicked on it and it said I was unauthorized to view that page. Went back and it disappeared.

Maybe it's appearing soon? lol

Was strange though.

ETA: Nevermind I can access it now. I don't have a FA package presumably because of the "loan error" that isn't really an error (sigh). Anyone else able to see their FA?

Last edited:
I went on OPUS and there was a new link for "Emory Financial Aid". I clicked on it and it said I was unauthorized to view that page. Went back and it disappeared.

Maybe it's appearing soon? lol

Was strange though.

ETA: Nevermind I can access it now. I don't have a FA package presumably because of the "loan error" that isn't really an error (sigh). Anyone else able to see their FA?

I've got the same problem; I just emailed my aid advisor to see if it truly is an error on Emory's part or if I need to take action.

Also, apparently these guys are headed towards our door this week. Anyone get one yet?
11t27n4.jpg

I've got the same problem; I just emailed my aid advisor to see if it truly is an error on Emory's part or if I need to take action.

Also, apparently these guys are headed towards our door this week. Anyone get one yet?
11t27n4.jpg

I just called and my FA advisor isn't back until Thursday. So blah. Maybe someone who is in the first half of the alphabet can get an answer from their advisor?

And I saw that on FB but no package yet :(. Oh so anxiously waiting!

@Kateosee

We might have the same advisor. I call yesterday as well and was told my advisor will be gone till Thursday as well so I just left a voice message. Hope they can clear this excess loan error soon

I got an email back from my financial aid advisor and she sent this to me:

I have cleared that checklist item for you. It refers to your undergraduate loans and does not affect your aid as a graduate student.

so I would just talk to your advisor and have them clear the hold.

Got my tracking number today! It should arrive on Tuesday. I'm in California, so it may reach closer folks before then.

Never mind, I got the email with the tracking information! I'm really excited!

what are the packages for and do I get one?

Aww still no tracking number here. Sad panda.

Got the loan business worked out. Same message as a few above. That's at least one hurdle down :)

I got my acceptance email on 2/11 and almost died from excitement. I'll be in the MPH in Environmental Health program (anyone else in that one?) So happy!

I applied to other schools as well but I haven't heard back yet, and somehow they seem less important now. Emory's my top choice. Just need to figure out loans & scholarships now...

Last edited:
I've got a tracking number, but what's in the package? I am turning in my FAFSA tonight, so I assume it's not aid info yet.

Aww still no tracking number here. Sad panda.

Got the loan business worked out. Same message as a few above. That's at least one hurdle down :)

No tracking number for me either. Hope that's not a bad thing!

No tracking number for me either. Hope that's not a bad thing!

I've already been accepted so I'm not especially worried lol. Maybe it's alphabetical or something? I tend to come late in the alphabet. After this long in the game, you just have to start rationalizing to not go crazy :scared:

I've already been accepted so I'm not especially worried lol. Maybe it's alphabetical or something? I tend to come late in the alphabet. After this long in the game, you just have to start rationalizing to not go crazy :scared:

Haha :) I'm deciding not to worry, and to just be happy I was accepted

Does anyone know when Emory's admitted students day is?

I got my acceptance email on 2/11 and almost died from excitement. I'll be in the MPH in Environmental Health program (anyone else in that one?) So happy!

I applied to other schools as well but I haven't heard back yet, and somehow they seem less important now. Emory's my top choice. Just need to figure out loans & scholarships now...

Hey congrats! I also applied to Emory in environmental health as it is one of my top choices as well, but still waiting for the decision. It's good to know the acceptances for the EH programs are rolling out. May I ask when did Sophas mailed your app and when Emory received your application?

Hey congrats! I also applied to Emory in environmental health as it is one of my top choices as well, but still waiting for the decision. It's good to know the acceptances for the EH programs are rolling out. May I ask when did Sophas mailed your app and when Emory received your application?

Thanks!

My application was mailed by Sophas on 2/6, and I got the email that Emory received it on 2/8. Good luck!

Visit Emory is on March 21 and 22. They posted the schedule online: http://www.sph.emory.edu/cms/prospective_students/admissions/visit_about.html The class visits and the CDC tour seem like they would be a cool opportunities.

From my experience last year, I would definitely take advantage of one of the class visits and there usually is a social outing at a local bar after Visit Emory. This is a great way to interact with current students and get a feel for the culture. It all depends on your comfort zone as well, but there is also an opportunity to room a couple nights with current Rollins students while at Visit Emory. Which in addition to saving you money on a hotel room, this allows you to have candid dialogue with current students about their experiences. My final piece of advice is to pursue a travel stipend. This was offered last year and I assume will again be offered this year. You can request a travel stipend application from Prudence Goss, the Associate Director for Admissions and Recruitment, just email her. Funds run out very early and you might not be eligible. However it's essentially free money which you can use to get you to Atlanta or spend at the local bar after Visit Emory ;)

From my experience last year, I would definitely take advantage of one of the class visits and there usually is a social outing at a local bar after Visit Emory. This is a great way to interact with current students and get a feel for the culture. It all depends on your comfort zone as well, but there is also an opportunity to room a couple nights with current Rollins students while at Visit Emory. Which in addition to saving you money on a hotel room, this allows you to have candid dialogue with current students about their experiences. My final piece of advice is to pursue a travel stipend. This was offered last year and I assume will again be offered this year. You can request a travel stipend application from Prudence Goss, the Associate Director for Admissions and Recruitment, just email her. Funds run out very early and you might not be eligible. However it's essentially free money which you can use to get you to Atlanta or spend at the local bar after Visit Emory ;)

Interesting! Are these travel stipends only for Visit Emory? I'm going to be out of the country on those dates but I'd still like to visit the campus perhaps another time.

Got my tracking number. I still have no idea what is in the package.

Still no tracking number for me :( Admitted to BSHE about a month ago. I'm toward the end of the alphabet, though, so maybe that's why.

Interesting! Are these travel stipends only for Visit Emory? I'm going to be out of the country on those dates but I'd still like to visit the campus perhaps another time.

Unfortunately travel stipends are only for Visit Emory and again, you have to apply early because funding is limited. We're not talking a lot of $$$$ but I figured it's worth an email.

Hi all,
I was accepted into the Global Health program Thursday and was sent the Fedex tracking info this morning. I've started looking at places to rent for the Fall. There seems to be a few current students replying in this thread. Are there any nearby apartment complexes you would recommend, popular student areas, or any do's and dont's. I found one spot located in Emory Village, near the main Emory entrance. Affordable for sure but it looks like this is on the wrong side of the campus. Would something on NE Houston Mill Rd be a better choice? Is Little Five Points doable? Any help would be greatly appreciated :cool:

Unfortunately travel stipends are only for Visit Emory and again, you have to apply early because funding is limited. We're not talking a lot of $$$$ but I figured it's worth an email.

I emailed Prudence and she sent me a sign up form to apply for the stipends, which range from $50-$250 and there were options on the form for general visits (though she emailed me after and said I had to register for Visit Emory - which is now open - before she could review the request). Confusing but could be worth a try!

Hi all,
I was accepted into the Global Health program Thursday and was sent the Fedex tracking info this morning. I've started looking at places to rent for the Fall. There seems to be a few current students replying in this thread. Are there any nearby apartment complexes you would recommend, popular student areas, or any do's and dont's. I found one spot located in Emory Village, near the main Emory entrance. Affordable for sure but it looks like this is on the wrong side of the campus. Would something on NE Houston Mill Rd be a better choice? Is Little Five Points doable? Any help would be greatly appreciated :cool:

Honestly, almost all of the apartment complexes near the medical/main campus are really nice. Little Five is doable, but traffic is always horrendous from there to campus if you plan on driving, and the area is a bit less safe.

Honestly, almost all of the apartment complexes near the medical/main campus are really nice. Little Five is doable, but traffic is always horrendous from there to campus if you plan on driving, and the area is a bit less safe.

Thank you for the speedy response! This definitely helps :)

Hey there,

As I hear about people who have heard back from Emory, I'm wondering if anyone who has heard has receieved a scholarship offer, or have those yet to go out?

Thanks!

As far as I know, scholarship nominations are due by the department around mid-February, so finalists will not know until late February/early March. However, some forums from last year seemed to imply some scholarships are given out after Visit Emory. SO that may not have helped... but I don't think anybody knows yet.

Hey, has anybody registered for Visit Emory? I tried to but it wasn't working for some reason!

Hey, has anybody registered for Visit Emory? I tried to but it wasn't working for some reason!

Yeah it won't work for me either. Its telling me there's an error around the "bringing a guest" page. I emailed them.

I emailed them too. Well, even if they have a million emails... at least they'll know we're super eager to register!