EMT Certification- should I do it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MeatballParmHero

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all

I am planning on getting EMT certified my freshman year of college by taking night classes at a local community college along with my undergrad studies. I've shadowed doctors in high school, primarily senior year, and most have said that this sounds like a fantastic idea, particularly the ER doctors I've shadowed. However, I've viewed other posts on SDN and they have mixed reviews. I've seen an awful lot of hate for it, saying paid experiences are not as valued. I planned on volunteering, shadowing, and research along side of working as an EMT. I'm not one of those kids who is going to get certified and put it on my application without legitimate work experience. I've heard people refer to having this as a "cookie cutter" application item. Out of all the premed interest group discussions I've been apart of at my undergrad school, I've heard nobody say they wanted to be an EMT. I will definitely take the time to do legitimate work for a company with this certification and not just say I have a piece of paper.

I'd love to hear y'alls thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're just doing it to put on an application, your time and money could be better spent. I personally went out and got mine, and volunteer at a fire station. I love it. I've had a standing interest in emergency medicine and working as an EMT has pushed my interest in the field further. It is a great way to get clinical experiences as you are one of the providers making choices for patients. It can be a rewarding experience, but it isn't for everyone; serious things happen. As an EMT you're going to be arriving to car crashes, domestic violence cases, assault wounds, etc. The majority of it will be more focused on helping out geriatric patients, but it isn't a position to be taken lightly and has a high burnout rate for a reason. I personally only know of one other premed who chose to do this and ultimately never used it, so I doubt it really added much to their application. However, if you can give stories about what you did as an EMT, I can't see how it wouldn't be a good addition to the application. I agree about most of the paid positions not being great. If you're being paid as an EMT, and you're just starting out, you probably work for an inter-facility transport company, which is where people pull out the term glorified taxi driver. This is because you're driving from hospital to nursing home to dialysis to hospital etc. You aren't interacting much with patients and you are just driving them around with a medic in the back. If you work for a 911 service, you'll actually be using your credentials for more than just being a $1,000 uber for someone who for medical reasons, needs to be driven around.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're just doing it to put on an application, your time and money could be better spent. I personally went out and got mine, and volunteer at a fire station. I love it. I've had a standing interest in emergency medicine and working as an EMT has pushed my interest in the field further. It is a great way to get clinical experiences as you are one of the providers making choices for patients. It can be a rewarding experience, but it isn't for everyone; serious things happen. As an EMT you're going to be arriving to car crashes, domestic violence cases, assault wounds, etc. The majority of it will be more focused on helping out geriatric patients, but it isn't a position to be taken lightly and has a high burnout rate for a reason. I personally only know of one other premed who chose to do this and ultimately never used it, so I doubt it really added much to their application. However, if you can give stories about what you did as an EMT, I can't see how it wouldn't be a good addition to the application. I agree about most of the paid positions not being great. If you're being paid as an EMT, and you're just starting out, you probably work for an inter-facility transport company, which is where people pull out the term glorified taxi driver. This is because you're driving from hospital to nursing home to dialysis to hospital etc. You aren't interacting much with patients and you are just driving them around with a medic in the back. If you work for a 911 service, you'll actually be using your credentials for more than just being a $1,000 uber for someone who for medical reasons, needs to be driven around.
Thanks for the feedback. I would love to volunteer for a fire station or try my best to get somewhere to take emergency calls. I too have an interest for emergency medicine so this is right up my alley. But do you know how much work experience is needed to get onto a volunteer spot at a station or on a county service? Like do you have just an EMT-B or did you further your training. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all

I am planning on getting EMT certified my freshman year of college by taking night classes at a local community college along with my undergrad studies. I've shadowed doctors in high school, primarily senior year, and most have said that this sounds like a fantastic idea, particularly the ER doctors I've shadowed. However, I've viewed other posts on SDN and they have mixed reviews. I've seen an awful lot of hate for it, saying paid experiences are not as valued. I planned on volunteering, shadowing, and research along side of working as an EMT. I'm not one of those kids who is going to get certified and put it on my application without legitimate work experience. I've heard people refer to having this as a "cookie cutter" application item. Out of all the premed interest group discussions I've been apart of at my undergrad school, I've heard nobody say they wanted to be an EMT. I will definitely take the time to do legitimate work for a company with this certification and not just say I have a piece of paper.

I'd love to hear y'alls thoughts

Former Volunteer EMT-B here. There are so many benefits that I found from being an EMT. It builds your interpersonal skills, communication skills, and it teaches you how to work effectively in a team of healthcare providers. Not to mention all of the patient exposure you'll have. Given the interest that you've also expressed in EM, I don't see why you shouldn't go through with your training.
People may see it as "cookie cutter", but as long as you take something significant out of this experience and express that in your applications you should be completely fine.

The idea is not to follow a checklist, nor avoid certain activities out of fear of having a "generic" app. The main point is to explore that which you are interested in and using your experiences to guide your decision to become a doctor.

You can also get your foot in the door by becoming a scribe at a local ER or urgent care center. You get to work directly with doctors/PA/APRNs and of course with patients too while being in the middle of the action.

Depending on the state you’re in, you can actually get your training for free. All you have to do is visit your local volunteer EMS station (and verify that they give out course waivers), volunteer with them in any way required, and then whenever your probation period is over get your free EMS training!

Become a scribe. Better experience, probably similar pay, better knowledge, access to amazing connections and letters, and a definite edge for med school.

Become a scribe. Better experience, probably similar pay, better knowledge, access to amazing connections and letters, and a definite edge for med school.
It actually depends per adcom member. Some that I’ve met, actually don’t favor scribes over EMTs and regard them as equal types of clinical experience.

OP, I say choose EMT all the way. I had the choice between becoming an EMT or a scribe, and turned down my scribe gig. I hate sitting in one place, and would rather be out in the field. It was a rewarding experience, and I saw shiit that you wouldn’t believe! Definitely EMT all the way.

Sincerely,
EMT :laugh:

Get it because it will open doors. Not everyone is successful at applying to med school, but having paid work experience will open doors for PA if you have interest in that route at any time. Also, I've never heard that paid experience was frowned upon. I got my EMT cert in 2012, and while I never worked as an EMT (pre-hospital), having that cert is actually what got me my first job in a hospital as a critical care tech in an ER. After a year doing that, I went to another hospital in a large city and worked as a tech in trauma. I got to do and see a decent amount of things that stuck with me - i.e. learning how to read rhythm strips after doing so many EKGs for the docs, learned to draw blood and place IVs, how to talk to patients by myself when I'd have to go take vitals or check glucose or etc. There's a lot of value that can come of it if you use it right, and it won't hurt having it.

It actually depends per adcom member. Some that I’ve met, actually don’t favor scribes over EMTs and regard them as equal types of clinical experience.

OP, I say choose EMT all the way. I had the choice between becoming an EMT or a scribe, and turned down my scribe gig. I hate sitting in one place, and would rather be out in the field. It was a rewarding experience, and I saw shiit that you wouldn’t believe! Definitely EMT all the way.

Sincerely,
EMT :laugh:
No it doesn’t depend on the adcoms. You don’t know what you don’t know. EMTs are trained by EMTs and medics with some basic physician input. Scribes are trained by physicians. I routinely teach my scribes things about differentials, EKGs, lab tests, diseases, medications, treatments, radiology, procedures, physcian lifestyle/finances. You don’t get that one on one physician interaction as an EMT. That’s not even including the most important thing which are the letters of rec you get from the physicians you work under (which are going to be amazing). I work in the ED so I have a very strong grasp of both jobs. Scribe > EMT.

No it doesn’t depend on the adcoms. You don’t know what you don’t know. EMTs are trained by EMTs and medics with some basic physician input. Scribes are trained by physicians. I routinely teach my scribes things about differentials, EKGs, lab tests, diseases, medications, treatments, radiology, procedures, physcian lifestyle/finances. You don’t get that one on one physician interaction as an EMT. That’s not even including the most important thing which are the letters of rec you get from the physicians you work under (which are going to be amazing). I work in the ED so I have a very strong grasp of both jobs. Scribe > EMT.
1) not all scribe positions are that beneficial
2.) ER tech positions can give the same sorts of benefits you're describing

The benefits of scribe vs emt varies so much by where you're working and what you take from it that you can't say one is better than the other. As far as direct physician contact, yes scribe can't be beat. But ems also has certain elements that scribes get none of such as actually providing medical care. If you're an emt, even a basic, on a BLS service, you are the primary care provider for a patient. You make the decisions and treat the patient. The scope of practice is very limited but that's a responsibility and experience that you can't really find anywhere else as a pre-med. Personally I've gotten a plethora of paid, volunteer, and leadership experiences from just being an EMT-B that I wouldn't trade for even the best scribing positions

The benefits of scribe vs emt varies so much by where you're working and what you take from it that you can't say one is better than the other. As far as direct physician contact, yes scribe can't be beat. But ems also has certain elements that scribes get none of such as actually providing medical care. If you're an emt, even a basic, on a BLS service, you are the primary care provider for a patient. You make the decisions and treat the patient. The scope of practice is very limited but that's a responsibility and experience that you can't really find anywhere else as a pre-med. Personally I've gotten a plethora of paid, volunteer, and leadership experiences from just being an EMT-B that I wouldn't trade for even the best scribing positions
1) correct.
2) not even close to being correct. My techs are techs. We have some interaction but scribes are attached to my hip. To even compare the two shows how naive you are regarding their roles. I would put my neck out for a scribe I like, a tech, less likely.

You don’t have to believe me but have you taught medical students? I can tell you that those with a previous scribe job for a few years far outperform their colleagues during MS3. You are also not understanding how powerful one phone call or letter of recommendation to the right person can be.

EMT basic is fine but like I said you don’t know what you don’t know and you don’t have a physician there at all times to correct you. EMTs think they might know things but just wait and see how little you actually know. Paramedics are even worse. Literally all my doctor friends who were former medics all say the same thing: I was so shocked with how much I thought I knew but how little I actually did know.

You get more bang for your buck as a scribe especially in the ED. Period.

So now you’re speaking for every adcom? Mmkay.

Good job picking out one thing focusing on that and ignoring everything else I said. If you take the post as a whole you’d understand but I guess you don’t want to do that so you won’t.
I’m not arguing with you.

I agree with @BTC0821

It is certainly not a waste of time, but like everything else it is not without an opportunity cost. I think it may help to list out 2-3 alternatives to becoming an EMT so you can compare them side by side.

Good job picking out one thing focusing on that and ignoring everything else I said. If you take the post as a whole you’d understand but I guess you don’t want to do that so you won’t.
Okay I will take the post as a whole then so we can clear some of the air.

1) correct.
Glad we agree on we something

2) not even close to being correct. My techs are techs. We have some interaction but scribes are attached to my hip. To even compare the two shows how naive you are regarding their roles. I would put my neck out for a scribe I like, a tech, less likely.
Notice that my original post said that tech positions can potentially give similar benefits to what you were describing with regards to learning directly from physicians. This was in response to you stating that EMTs do not get one on one physician interaction. I never intended to give the idea that a tech was equal to a scribe in terms of physician interaction and went on to specifically state that a scribe position can't be beat in this regard. To say that I was "not even close to being correct" shows a disregard or misunderstanding of my post in its entirety. As stated, the benefits of a tech position in terms of physician interaction vary a lot by hospital and relationship between tech and physician. I have seen pre-med techs who absolutely love their jobs because of how much they learn from physicians. I think in the ER at least the key to this is an outgoing tech, a physician willing to teach, and an ER that's not so insanely busy as to have no time for teaching. I have also seen people absolutely hate their tech positions for lack of the above or similar reasons. The exact same thing can be said for scribe positions. From what it sounds like, you have a teacher's mindset, and anyone would have an extremely beneficial experience working under you, but that cannot be said for everyone everywhere. I have had friends receive formal complaints for asking questions and trying to learn from the physicians outside of their specific scribe responsibilities.

You don’t have to believe me but have you taught medical students? I can tell you that those with a previous scribe job for a few years far outperform their colleagues during MS3. You are also not understanding how powerful one phone call or letter of recommendation to the right person can be.
This is a very valid point and a great contribution to the conversation. I don't have experience teaching med students as I am just a pre-med, but this observation does sound very subjective and lacks control with regards to the topic of scribe vs emt/ER tech. I suspect that previous experience working in a hospital or in medicine in general (scribe, nurse, tech, etc.) is a huge help in MS3 when the majority of students have no paid clinical experience. By simply comparing former scribes to "their colleagues" in MS3 you're mostly comparing them to people who have never worked in a hospital before. I've heard first hand from an ER attending that former EMTs are his favorite med students because of their composure under pressure among other things. Obviously this is an n=1 opinion and likely specialty specific, but so is your opinion. I would love to hear from more physicians or see more concrete evidence on links between specific paid clinical positions as a pre-med and subsequent success in MS3 and beyond.

EMT basic is fine but like I said you don’t know what you don’t know and you don’t have a physician there at all times to correct you. EMTs think they might know things but just wait and see how little you actually know. Paramedics are even worse. Literally all my doctor friends who were former medics all say the same thing: I was so shocked with how much I thought I knew but how little I actually did know.
This is very true and one of the hardest parts about being an EMT. We get an abdominal pain and the only thing we know how to do is transport in a position of comfort. In pursuing work as an EMT or medic it is key to always keep in mind how little you know. It's frustrating and humbling at the same time and really makes you value the medical education to come. Working as an EMT, especially pre-hospital, is not about learning medicine, or at least learning diagnoses, treatments, etc. You learn the basics of a limited scope of practice in school and then you learn things from experience and trial and error like how to interact and care for patients, how to work under pressure, and the responsibility of having someone's well-being in your hands. If you're goal in a paid clinical job is to learn as much "medicine" as you can prior to med school then don't be an EMT; however I don't believe that is the point of medical exposure during pre-med.

You get more bang for your buck as a scribe especially in the ED. Period.
I hope I have made a decent argument as to why this sort of generalization is very misleading. As previously stated in this thread and many before it, the benefits of paid clinical positions such as scribe and EMT vary incredibly by region, hospital/EMS service, and even individual personalities. I encourage OP to look into the opportunities available in his/her area; talk to scribes, techs, and EMT's about their experiences and compare these things to what he/she wants out of their job.