This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMT or research?

• EMT

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Research

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

premedseekinghelp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
A little background info before we begin-I'm a Biomedical sciences major freshman with a 4.0 and involved in a club that volunteers with EMTs. I love it. But I also know that research is an important part of a medical school application. I researched last summer at a moderately well known university and it was okay. I did my own experiment and got to write a manuscript and present a poster and powerpoint at that university's summer research expo. I've applied to about 5 research programs for this summer and should be accepted to the one I did last year again (they verbally told me they'd like to have me back this year.) Should I take EMT classes (and physics because EMT only wouldn't be enough work) then be able to work as an EMT and get money for the rest of college and medical experience or do another (and probably my final) summer of research? I talked to an admissions officer today and he said research but I was wondering if everyone thought that.
Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Really up to you. You're a freshman so you should have plenty of opportunities to engage in research before graduation so if you're into EMT, I don't see why you can't just get the classes out the way this summer.

What is the timeline on the EMT class? Don't underestimate the amount of homework and hours that takes if you're doing it all in one summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
@jaxon It depends on the one I choose- some are month long 8-5 + some weekends and others are 2-3months at a community college.
@eteshoe How much research do you think I should have?

@jaxon It depends on the one I choose- some are month long 8-5 + some weekends and others are 2-3months at a community college.
@eteshoe How much research do you think I should have?

Really depends on your experience.
Some UGs try research out and realize it's not for them - they tend to have a smaller amount of sustained research (0.5-1 yr). That is fine.
Some students enjoy research - if they can keep a regular schedule for a sustained amount of time (2-3 yrs*) that is usually sufficient for med school. Publications are nice but not necessary.

* If you want to do the MD/PhD thing, you will need more research (3-5 yrs typically). Again, publications are nice but not necessary.

@eteshoe So is it okay if I don't like research then and just focus on medical experience instead? Do you think medical schools will be okay with that?

@gonnif Right, I would definitely work as an EMT and hopefully be able to go beyond the ambulance-any advice on accomplishing that by the way?

Yes, I realize that. I have a summer under my belt but I'm sure it's nothing to other people (although I am still a freshman.)

That makes sense, thank you.

@eteshoe So is it okay if I don't like research then and just focus on medical experience instead? Do you think medical schools will be okay with that?

It's ok to not like research but since your just a freshman, I would advice you at least do a bit of research (aim for at least a full academic year). You don't have to love it but come in with the right attitude and you'll be surprised by what you gain. As far as clinical exposure: hospital volunteering (250-300+ hrs) and shadowing (100-150+ hrs) is typically sufficient. You can of course get more - but do so because it means something to you personally, not just to check a box. And many students can get the necessary clinical exposure while doing research.