Endodontics 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dgipg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applied or applying to Endo programs 2010?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I was waiting for this Endo2010 tread to start. I have applied to six schools and I think I will bite through my night guard in the next one month:laugh:. I guess its a little early to hear back from schools but next 4-6 weeks are important.

I have applied to the program at University of Toronto only.
Interview invitations are sent late September they said.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody hear back about interviews yet?

Waiting for the schools to mail out the invites. My guess is the ones with Aug 15 last date will send invites in the first week of September. Will I get one is a million $ ? ...so till then :xf:.

what programs did you guys applied for?

Alright guys and gals,

From previous years' threads, I've really found it helpful when folks have posted a growing list of interview offer/dates, and then once the interviews get underway, a brief commentary on the experience.

Good luck to everyone

Albert Einstein
Date notified: 8/17
Mode: Phone
Interview Date: 9/24

Minnesota
Mode: Email
Interview Date: 10/9

I have applied to six school: U-Illinois at Chicago,Marquette-U, U of Iowa, U of Detroit Mercy, U of Buffalo and UT-San Antonio.
Have not heard from anybody and :scared: waiting .

Check out the same thread from 2008: I would bet the programs are going to send out invites at about the same time they did last year... so you're still batting 1.000 :thumbup:

Are some candidates not given the chance of interview? Here in Europe usually all candidates are called for interviews. Unless their CV is really nasty don't see any reason not to call candidates.

Last edited:
Wondering on the avg board scores for those applying and accepted into endo esp right out of school. I hear high 90's (95+).

I am currently a first year resident in an endo program and know how stressful this time can be. Let me first start off by saying that for those who are wondering about dates for interviews, this year will be a little different than last year. Last year there was a specific date (Nov 1) on which the programs sent out acceptance notices (most of them that followed the agreement at least). They aren't doing that this year. This means that programs will probably be interviewing earlier than last year so they can get the applicants they want, while last year it seemed a majority of interviews were in October. Some advice for all of you is to check to make sure the schools have completed applications. More importantly make contact with the schools you are interested in. Email the program directors and introduce yourself to them and let them know you are interested in their program, but keep it short. If you live close to a school, set up an appointment to visit the program and meet the program director and residents. These are good ways to get your foot in the door. These guys get lots of applications, and you need to do anything you can to stand out in their mind while they are reviewing them. Doing these things last year gave me an excellent opportunity to get my name out there and it paid off. Good luck to you all!:D

canaldaddy - thanks for the insight. Could you elaborate on the interview/acceptance process for this year? Are acceptances extended at the time of the actual interviews?

Are you at the SLU residency? What's your take on it? I went to undergrad in St. Louis and loved the city. What's Southern Illinois like? I heard it described as "rustic" and thought of a farm. Thanks again for the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
canaldaddy: That is a useful bit of information and every bit counts :thumbup: . Appreciate your input.

canaldaddy - thanks for the insight. Could you elaborate on the interview/acceptance process for this year? Are acceptances extended at the time of the actual interviews?

Are you at the SLU residency? What's your take on it? I went to undergrad in St. Louis and loved the city. What's Southern Illinois like? I heard it described as "rustic" and thought of a farm. Thanks again for the info!
I don't want to speculate much on the process because I don't know how the programs are going to do it, except maybe my own. In my experience, there are usually 1-3 days of interviews. The program directors might/might not contact you soon after the interview. I wouldn't expect hearing from them until all of the interviews have been completed though.

did anyone else heard from the programs..........

Nothing Yet. But in my case since I just applied to one school and they said they make interviews invitations late September its still early...

UTdave here-
I had to join to get in on this conversation. I am a SR dental student and have applied to 10 Endo programs, UTHSCSA, Baylor, Florida, UMKC, Iowa, Ohio, Washington, VCU, Georgia, Louisville KY. Yesterday I got a call from Fl who scheduled an interview for SEP 11. Much sooner than I anticipated hearing let alone interviewing. I also got an Email from Baylor who is interviewing OCT 12. Hope there is more good news out there!

UTdave here-
I had to join to get in on this conversation. I am a SR dental student and have applied to 10 Endo programs, UTHSCSA, Baylor, Florida, UMKC, Iowa, Ohio, Washington, VCU, Georgia, Louisville KY. Yesterday I got a call from Fl who scheduled an interview for SEP 11. Much sooner than I anticipated hearing let alone interviewing. I also got an Email from Baylor who is interviewing OCT 12. Hope there is more good news out there!

congratulations on your first interview............one step closer......what was your score

scores?... NDBE1 94. I just hope it is enough to get me in without doing an AEGD first.

I'm a first year endo resident at the University of Maryland. If I can provide any insight into the program, please let me know. Best of luck and I look forward to meeting some of you in a few weeks.

Hey guys, I'm gonna be a first-year dental student in the fall and I am thinking of hopefully pursuing endo if I decide to specialize after dental school. I was wondering what kind of EC's and stats you guys have because I would rather get into a program right after dental school, which is really competitive. If anyone can provide me with info, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

I was expecting some movement in the world of endo 2010 but seems like this was a very quiet week :sleep: . Is this the calm before the storm....

Here is an updated list:

Albert Einstein
Interview date: 9/24

Minnesota
Interview date: 10/9

Florida
Date notified: 8/24
Interview date: 9/11

Baylor
Date notified: ?
Interview date: 10/12

St. Louis U
Date notified: 8/26
Interview date: 9/18

Keep 'em coming!

I'm a first year endo resident at the University of Maryland. If I can provide any insight into the program, please let me know. Best of luck and I look forward to meeting some of you in a few weeks.

Dukie,

Thanks for offering up some info. I have a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind. From your experience, what is the level of proficiency held by first year residents (and the expectations by the faculty)? Were you able/expected to do a vital molar from start to finish in an hour your first week of residency? In your program, do you treat difficult cases right off the bat? What is your program's take (and approach) to endo's placing implants? If/when acceptances roll around, how does it happen? Are they extended at the time of the interview? The day after? At a previously agreed upon "Match Day", so to speak? Lastly, any pearls of wisdom?

Thank you very much in advance for any help you throw our way. It is greatly appreciated.

Washington called Friday for interviews on Sep 9 or Sep 14.

UCSF
Date notified: Aug 28
Interview date: Sept 14 or 16

Did anyone apply to UCSF? I got an email from them last week explaining that they decided to change their program length to 3 yrs with a mandatory MS degree. Does that mean a year of research? I'm a little shaky on the MS component. Anyone know what that entails?

Thanks

UCSF
Date notified: Aug 28

Did anyone apply to UCSF? I got an email from them last week explaining that they decided to change their program length to 3 yrs with a mandatory MS degree. Does that mean a year of research? I'm a little shaky on the MS component. Anyone know what that entails?

Thanks
Cheesetoast - some programs offer MS degrees and some just offer a certificate. Some masters are 2 years and some are 3. From what I understand, all programs require some sort of research in their program although the certificate programs probably aren't as involved. Don't let the idea of receiving a masters sway you away from a program. What did scare me away from programs was an extra year of school and a lost year of income.

a master with 2-years program? could you please mention any?

Saint Louis University, Case Western, University of Detroit Mercy
I am sure there are many more

thanks!
i didnt know any since i am following ASDA specialty guide

Hi ,I am interested in doing endo speciality at University of Maryland.I am right now in third year.I would like to know how to make my chances better for the program.Is it better to do a one year residency before I apply for the Program and what kind of NBDE 1 AND 2 score are they looking for the program.

Hi guys, second year endo resident at Florida here. Us residents just put together a new little website to keep people up to date on what is happening at our program. It isn't quite completed yet but if you are interested feel free to check it out. The address is:

www.gatorendo.com

Good luck to everyone who's applying!

PS ours is a two year master's program as well

Here is an updated list:

Albert Einstein
Interview date: 9/24

Minnesota
Interview date: 10/9

Florida
Date notified: 8/24
Interview date: 9/11

Baylor
Date notified: ?

St. Louis U
Date notified: 8/26
Interview date: 9/18

UCSF
Date notified: 8/28

UMD
Date notified: 9/8
Interview date: 9/16

NOVA
Date notified: 9/9
Interview date: 10/5-10/6

It is Sept 15 and guys I feel the rain on my parade :( ...Good luck to you all.

Still didn't get any mail from U of Toronto. They said late September, so I'll be checking my email daily from today. Fingers Crossed.

10000Lakes keep hope mate. They can still send you an Invitation. It's still in the time frame.

Good Luck and Grats to those who got an invitation already.

I'll answer as best as I can. I think everyone comes in with different levels, but you spend a lot of time practicing on plastic or extracted teeth before seeing live patients.

I'm guessing you are not serious about treating a vital molar in one hour your first week. Many lifelong endodontists are not that fast.

Here, we treat whatever the patient needs- we do not get easy cases first. This may not be the way it works elsewhere.

Here, we learn to place implants. It is really up to you when you get out whether you will do them or not.

In terms of the offers of admission, I frankly don't know how it is being done, though I've heard that this year they are going back to the rolling admissions process.

Dukie,

Thanks for offering up some info. I have a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind. From your experience, what is the level of proficiency held by first year residents (and the expectations by the faculty)? Were you able/expected to do a vital molar from start to finish in an hour your first week of residency? In your program, do you treat difficult cases right off the bat? What is your program's take (and approach) to endo's placing implants? If/when acceptances roll around, how does it happen? Are they extended at the time of the interview? The day after? At a previously agreed upon "Match Day", so to speak? Lastly, any pearls of wisdom?

Thank you very much in advance for any help you throw our way. It is greatly appreciated.

Still didn't get any mail from U of Toronto. They said late September, so I'll be checking my email daily from today. Fingers Crossed.

10000Lakes keep hope mate. They can still send you an Invitation. It's still in the time frame.

Good Luck and Grats to those who got an invitation already.

Just as I thought its over...got a invite mail from Univ Detroit Mercy...Thanks Dgipg

:thumbup::D GRATZ 10000Lakes

Go for it!!!! Best of Luck mate

U of Toronto
Date notified: 9/15
Interview Date: 10/5

Harvard
Date notified: 9/15
Interview Date: 10/8

Best of luck to you all.

Please share ur interview experience. what did they ask you and more........

Just as I thought its over...got a invite mail from Univ Detroit Mercy...Thanks Dgipg

Congrats on your interview! I spent the last year in an AEGD program at UDM and interviewed for the program last year as well. I got to know Dr. Hoen pretty well. He is awesome! Some tips for you that may help. He and many others are involved in a website -- www.evidencebasedendo.com. I believe that it was started at the school by one of the faculty. Dr. Hoen is huge on evidence based endodontics, and therefore you should view this site to see what it is about. It will also be a good reference for you in the future. Also Dr. Hoen loves technology (which is very important in endodontics) and be prepared to answer a question or two about computers. For instance - what does http stand for? and what is the difference between RAM and ROM? What is the difference between medline and pubmed? I am sure he has many, many questions that he could ask, but you get the idea. Good luck to you!

Univ Detroit Mercy
Date notified: 9/16
Mode: E-mail

Univ of IL at Chicago
Date notified: 9/17
Interview date: 10/5

Congrats on your interview! I spent the last year in an AEGD program at UDM and interviewed for the program last year as well. I got to know Dr. Hoen pretty well. He is awesome! Some tips for you that may help. He and many others are involved in a website -- www.evidencebasedendo.com. I believe that it was started at the school by one of the faculty. Dr. Hoen is huge on evidence based endodontics, and therefore you should view this site to see what it is about. It will also be a good reference for you in the future. Also Dr. Hoen loves technology (which is very important in endodontics) and be prepared to answer a question or two about computers. For instance - what does http stand for? and what is the difference between RAM and ROM? What is the difference between medline and pubmed? I am sure he has many, many questions that he could ask, but you get the idea. Good luck to you!

canaldaddy: Thanks for the tips. I had a chance to meet Dr.Hoen in June 09. I was very very impressed with Dr.Hoen and the department . You said it -He is awesome! Every possible bell and whistle imaginable was in there (definitely a BMW 7 series :D of endo programs). He mentioned about www.evidencebasedendo.com and I think it is a great resource. Dr. Hoen definitely has penchant for all things technological which is a big plus for a program:thumbup:.

Last edited:
hi, was wondering if anyone heard back from usc or loma linda? thanks.

Heya hanan

Grats on the interview at U of Toronto.

I didnt got any news yet and seems like no invite coming in my direction from them. :(

Best of luck to you.:thumbup:

Anyone who heard from Boston Univ endo program? I thought they had rolling admissions..bcz dats wat i was told!

I think all the programs have rolling admissions this year - they just offer interviews at a different date.

I received an interview invite from BU today via phone call (to my office! :mad:) They spoke to my receptionist and let her know.

No common sense.

Can present residents and to be 2010 residents share their interview experience...

people who have interviewed: did anyone get offered admissions anywhere?