Ensuring a Successful Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alparkeruab

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a specific "magic number" of pod programs to apply to/rank to ensure matching into one of your desired positions? Does anyone know approximately how many pod students a year have to enter the scramble? How many are left completely unmatched?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a specific "magic number" of pod programs to apply to/rank to ensure matching into one of your desired positions? Does anyone know approximately how many pod students a year have to enter the scramble? How many are left completely unmatched?

I don't know about a "magic" number - it doesn't work that way. You can theoretically apply for 15 residency programs and not match into any one of them. The idea is that you rank the programs that YOU like and interviewed well with, and hopefully these programs would rank you high on their list. I know people who ranked 3-4 programs and still matched with no problems. I think the national average was more than 70% of the students matching and the rest scrambled. These numbers change every year. The key is to do well as a student, pass your boards, work hard and learn during your rotations, interview well, and rank the programs as you like them.

I don't know about a "magic" number - it doesn't work that way. You can theoretically apply for 15 residency programs and not match into any one of them. The idea is that you rank the programs that YOU like and interviewed well with, and hopefully these programs would rank you high on their list. I know people who ranked 3-4 programs and still matched with no problems. I think the national average was more than 70% of the students matching and the rest scrambled. These numbers change every year. The key is to do well as a student, pass your boards, work hard and learn during your rotations, interview well, and rank the programs as you like them.

thanks for the info..

do you know how many programs students typically match on average?

do you know if there are projected to be enough residency spots for this coming year?

thanks for the info..

do you know how many programs students typically match on average?

do you know if there are projected to be enough residency spots for this coming year?

I don't have the number of programs or spots off hand but I think this information should be on the caspr/crip link off of this site:
www.acpm.org

As for the projected number of residency spots for this upcoming year - again its hard to say for multiple factors:
1) The number of graduating students is still not confirmed because the new rules now require students to pass part I boards before moving on to part II and subsequently III. This will hold a few people back from the match
2) I don't know how many practicing podiatrists with limited training would want to come back and apply for residency training.
3) I don't know how many new spots will be available as new programs are emerging, while others add more spots and upgrade to 3-year training. This information can be again confirmed by the website link I posted above.

As it stands now, as it has been mentioned in previous threads, there is a deficit in number of 3-year spots for number of students. However, the factors mentioned above will definitely off-set the equation and play an important role. I don't foresee this being an issue in the future as long as programs are emerging and more 3-year spots are opening up. I wouldn't let this steer you away from the profession if you're genuinely interested. The best thing for you is to take things one step at a time - do well in classes, pass boards, kick-butt in rotations/clerkships, interview well, and match into your program. Good students will almost always have an advantage of choosing between programs so focus your main concern/energy on being a good student first and foremost and everything else will fall into place.

GL

I don't have the number of programs or spots off hand but I think this information should be on the caspr/crip link off of this site:
www.acpm.org
I think that this is the site you meant to post a link to: http://www.aacpm.org
Although maybe the Preventative Medicine page is the one you were shooting for.:)