MPH Environmental Health numbers??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carin0316

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum. :)

Wondering--I have been on the fence on whether I want to apply to Community Health or Environmental Health programs. Both really appeal to me.

In doing my research, I find that very few people apply to EH programs...or rather, EH programs in general are just smaller than most. Why is that??
Is it EXTREMELY competitive (like are these programs intentionally smaller and only accept a few students) or is it just not as popular as other programs?

I would REALLY appreciate feedback from other people who are interested/applied to/accepted into EH programs. I'm finding very little information on it and even smaller amount of people's experiences in EH. What are the stats for it? What other kind of are available that aren't Food and safety inspectors?

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

In general, I think there's less general interest from the public about environmental health. There are also fewer journals that publish strictly environmental health research, as well. So it's not likely a function of it being extremely competitive, but more so that there aren't as many options. Unfortunately, I know nothing about food and safety. Sorry.

At the health department where I work, it's large enough to be divided into two divisions. My side does food establishment inspections as well as pool and bathing beach inspections. We also do sanitary surveys, which are in collaboration with social workers and other agencies to inspect proposed facilities for foster care/adoption applicants, assisted living facilities, day cares,and the like. Lastly, we do rabies incident investigations and monitoring and conduct rabies vaccination clinics.
The other side of our department deals with land evaluations for septic and wells, water supply monitoring, and nuisance complaints, such as trash building up or people burning stuff in their yard, or whatever people can come up with to complain about that isn't food related.
Obviously, other areas of environmental health include disaster response/management, occupational health, industrial hygiene, vector control/zoonotics, agricultural health, research or fieldwork for research/problem identification and solving.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Realized I forgot to do lead testing/investigation and air quality management.

In general, I think there's less general interest from the public about environmental health. There are also fewer journals that publish strictly environmental health research, as well. So it's not likely a function of it being extremely competitive, but more so that there aren't as many options. Unfortunately, I know nothing about food and safety. Sorry.
Thank you for your input anyway, appreciate it!

At the health department where I work, it's large enough to be divided into two divisions. My side does food establishment inspections as well as pool and bathing beach inspections. We also do sanitary surveys, which are in collaboration with social workers and other agencies to inspect proposed facilities for foster care/adoption applicants, assisted living facilities, day cares,and the like. Lastly, we do rabies incident investigations and monitoring and conduct rabies vaccination clinics.
The other side of our department deals with land evaluations for septic and wells, water supply monitoring, and nuisance complaints, such as trash building up or people burning stuff in their yard, or whatever people can come up with to complain about that isn't food related.
Obviously, other areas of environmental health include disaster response/management, occupational health, industrial hygiene, vector control/zoonotics, agricultural health, research or fieldwork for research/problem identification and solving.

That's really helpful, I can definitely go from there in terms of researching the types of jobs available in the field and such. Thank you so much! :)

Look at environmentalhealthnews.org, neha, niehs, careersenvhealth.com, ehscareers.com, and whatispublichealth.org