SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

PhD/PsyD EPPP - How to Prepare, Practice, & PASS

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by ItsNotMe_ItsYou, Oct 28, 2017.

1. ItsNotMe_ItsYou

ItsNotMe_ItsYou 2+ Year Member

Nov 8, 2014
    I hope this thread can become a resource for anyone who is planning to take or retake the EPPP in the foreseeable future. To my knowledge, no such thread exists. I believe it would be beneficial to have one centralized location for future test-takers to discuss and share how to best prepare, practice, and ultimately pass the EPPP.

Helpful topics may include, but are not limited to:
    • When to start studying for the EPPP
    • Preparing to study: Gathering materials; Developing a reasonable study schedule
    • Most helpful study materials
    • Least helpful study materials
    • Recommended EPPP study apps
    • Helpful study tips (e.g., mnemonics)
    • Studying w/ a buddy: Yay or nay
    • How to approach practice tests
    • Managing test anxiety
    • Self-care
    • Things to avoid
    • Q&A about difficult concepts
    • Ways to save money
    • Other
    I also hope this thread can be a place where we can motivate, support, and encourage one another throughout this process.

I wish everyone the best of luck, and let's try to keep this thread going.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. chrostopherhenandex

chrostopherhenandex 2+ Year Member

Nov 25, 2015
    What company should I fork out money too?

4. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist Psychologist 7+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    None, if you can help it. Try to get your hands on an older copy for free.

5. foreverbull

foreverbull 2+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2015
    If you don't have free materials, I would contact colleagues from your program for old stuff and/or see if you can find written materials used in the wanted/for sale thread, at least you can get them discounted that way. I found Psychprep written materials to be good preparation, but some people swear by AATBS, Taylor Method, etc.

6. SLB-CO

SLB-CO 2+ Year Member

Nov 10, 2015
    If someone else is paying for your study materials or you really feel like purchasing them yourself, I can say that I've been very happy with AATBS, though I'm not sure I'd purchase it if you have access to free materials and/or are paying out of pocket. I have the bronze package, so placement exam, books, audio lectures, section quizzes, and practice tests. It's rather straightforward and I feel like they have covered the basics without getting into depth you don't need. But take that with a grain of salt - I haven't taken the EPPP yet.

If you do get a package, it probably still helps to use other materials. I have access to some older exams from other programs and it's been a nice double-check to make sure my knowledge is carrying over.

I've been aiming for one section/week, with most studying on the weekends and some in the evenings. From the AATBS books I have been making my own notecards so that I actively learn the material and then listening to the related audio lecture when I'm cleaning for review, with the section review tests a few days later. I've been taking practice tests about once every two weeks. I've nearly reviewed all content (two sections left) and will then review from the notecards I made/take practice tests weekly until I feel ready. I'm aiming to take the exam before the holidays if all goes well, but haven't scheduled anything yet.

7. PSYDR

PSYDR Psychologist 10+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Logically: you know that I/O is going to be an area of weakness. Then there are subdivisions of the test. You’re gonna be crap at I/o unless you went to a weird program. So study that more.

Then there’s gonna be four choices. Statistically B is the the most frequent correct answer. If you can eliminate two, it’s a true false test. If there are two competing questions, one of them is clearly correct because they’re exerting effort in that direction. Generally there is one obvious bad answer. Eliminate that. Now your chances for correctly guessing the correct response is 33.33333%. Both/ none means one os correct at a 50/50 choice, but the opposite of “all” is generally a better choice. Use logic to make guesses. Some weird ass therapy that has a Japanese name? Go with answers that favor a gestalt approach.

Tl;dr: think about it as if you’re making the test.

8. awishingstar

awishingstar 5+ Year Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I've scheduled for December 11. Using the PsychPrep written materials, the EPPP flashcard app (~$15 CAD on the app store) which I'm finding useful, and have AATBS audio files though I haven't cracked into them as that's not my favorite study method. Reading and making notes from about one section per day, and shuffling through flashcards in random order and googling the concepts in the evenings while I watch TV.

This process sucks but apparently I'm more myelinated now than when I studied for the GRE so that's a plus.

85WesKid likes this.
  9. debs4ever

debs4ever

Nov 11, 2017
    I'm scheduled for Wednesday, November 15. I'm feeling ill-prepared. I have failed both online practice tests offered by ASPBB. It doesn't give me a scaled score so I don't know how close I got. I used psych prep and think it's been ok. Found a free trial through Prepjet- does anyone know anything about this company?

cantstocans likes this.
  10. debs4ever

debs4ever

Nov 11, 2017
    Are Academic Review and AATBS sister companies? I was called both looking for additional information and was referred to the same person "Brandon." I spoke with him briefly re: AATBS, but he wasn't available when I called Academic Review.

11. cantstocans

cantstocans

Sep 16, 2017
    Gardnerville, NV
    Thanks for the heads-up. Just signed up for free trial of Prepjet- easy and very helpful. I skipped the diagnostic test and was able to take some well written short quizzes in areas of weakness.

12. himala

himala

Nov 20, 2017
    I fortunately successfully passed without really purchasing anything. I borrowed study materials from other people who have passed before me. BUT I did do the $65 practice tests from Pearson (two of them) because I thought it would be the most accurate reflection of what the actual EPPP would be like. I trying to keep the EPPP simple in my mind, I thought of the EPPP studying process as needing to focus on two things:

CONTENT
    • Learn surface-level, basic, general information about each content area of the EPPP. Example: Haley –> Strategic Family Therapy, and Minuchin –> Structural Family Therapy.
    • Make sure to study the most in areas most likely to be asked about (i.e.,Ethical/Legal/Professional Issues; Assessment and Diagnosis; Treatment, Intervention, Prevention, and Supervision) and dabble in the area least likely to be asked about (i.e., Research Methods and Statistics).
    • Keep knowing what you already know, and utilize creative techniques for things you don’t know yet (e.g., mnemonics!!!)
    CRITICAL THINKING
    • Think about on your own clinical experiences to answer questions. Example: assessment measures used in clinical work like Vineland when working with children with autism, etc.
    • Especially think back on clinical work when answering questions on ethics.
    • Get into practice of watching out for key words like “except”, “not” and “true” / “false”.
    • Watch out for answers that seem to stand out from the rest, especially ones with words like “must” and “always”.
    General tips for both Content and Critical Thinking:

• Do as many practice questions as you can.
    • WRITE YOUR OWN TEST QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS!!!

13. awishingstar

Feb 10, 2011
    I wrote and passed today with a score of 598! :soexcited: The flashcard app ended up being too overwhelming (recall vs. recognition) so I ditched it early on. I read all the psychprep materials, did ~1 practice exam a week for 5 weeks, and spent the final two days before the exam doing rote memorization of things I consistently got wrong on practice exams. I'm working 4 days a week right now so I essentially did 3 5-hour days per week for five weeks... no evenings. I was given Psychprep and AATBS audiofiles but didn't end up using them much. The psychprep reading material + practice exams & quizzes seemed more than enough.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    SpacePsych and TennRunner like this.
  14. himala

himala

Nov 20, 2017
  15. enduroevo

enduroevo 7+ Year Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Did you find your scores on the practice exams mapped on fairly well with your real score?

SpacePsych likes this.
  16. awishingstar

Feb 10, 2011
    I ranged from 57% on Psychprep Exam A (without any studying) and steadily went up 2-3% on each subsequent practice exam. I only passed the last one, Exam E, with 70.5%. My scaled score on the actual EPPP was a very comfortable pass, so I think the common consensus that people tend to get 10-15% higher on the EPPP than the practice exams holds true!

SpacePsych likes this.