Essay Techniques Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Januine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a bad idea to start the essay with a story that is descriptive and filled with images, (to set the reasons of my actions to later paragraphs), and only returning to straightforward language (e.g. I did this because so and so happened etc.) in second paragraph?
Or are these essays supposed to be straight-forward, (save all those descriptive languages to creativewriting in english courses), so in this case then I should delve into my main point(/those straightforward language) in first paragraph?
If your answer is depends... depends on what?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think starting your statement with an interesting story is a tried and true strategy to sucking the adcom reader in. As long as you don't rewrite Ulysses and make the writing itself completely obtuse, you should do just fine. If you have any doubts, just make sure you have several others read over your statement to make sure it works. Good luck!

i started my PS with a story, and one of the interviewer thanked me for it. Making his reviewing work so much more interesting, he said.