EVMS Med Masters 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sure thing just let me know. Stay safe, I hear things are crazy up there!

yes it has been. Unfortunately know people affected by it.
Oh question for you, does EVMS provide any subscription services or discounts to things like Pathoma, Boards & Beyon, Sketchy micro etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

yes it has been. Unfortunately know people affected by it.
Oh question for you, does EVMS provide any subscription services or discounts to things like Pathoma, Boards & Beyon, Sketchy micro etc.?
Yes

Hey guys, I am a current med master (in the 1 year class) and happy to answer any questions you may have

Have you been accepted to med school (anywhere, not necessarily just EVMS) yet? Was advising supportive in your opinion?

All things considered, do you recommend this program?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Former Med Master and current M3 at EVMS, I'm going to go back and re-answer so of the questions you have posted. Feel free to ask any other questions you guys have.

Lots of questions for you lol..

1. Are there opportunities on your own for shadowing/volunteering/research

2. Do the kids in your class mostly apply only to EVMS or other schools as well?

3. Is admin supportive?

4. Camaraderie among students?

5. Day in your life pre-quarantine?

6. Did EVMS handle the quarantine well in terms of canceling classes, moving u guys online etc.

7. Do you** think a car is necessary?

8. Is it a very difficult courseload?

1. There are a lot of opportunities for volunteering and shadowing. Research is available but I would recommend not concentrating on it until the very end of the program if at all. Your actual performance in class once you get into the med master program is far more important than any research extracurriculars you are able to do while at EVMS.

2. I dont know of anyone who didn't apply to EVMS but pretty much everyone applies to other programs as well. I would recommend calling and talking with any programs you want to apply to before applying because some programs (a lot of California programs in my experience) wont look at your appliation until you have finished your SMP.

3. Admin is very supportive both the MD student affairs and also the med master program admin.

4. Camaraderie is great among students. Active "gunners" put themselves at significant disadvantage in the med master program.

5. Classes have changed a bit since I was in the med master program but the only thing I would recommend is that you should be attending a good portion of in person lectures, I recommend at least 50% but I know students who went to fewer and still got in. Med masters are basically on an extended interview for the whole year so its in your best interest to be a presence on campus.

6. I can't speak to the preclinical quarantine but I feel EVMS was on par with other medical schools when it came to beginning and keeping us up-to-date on info. But honestly its been a **** show but this is the case at every medical school.

7. Only way imho to go without a car is to live in ghent right near campus. But even then most people who probably prefer having a car even if they live in ghent.

8. It is difficult but its medical school classes so this is your chance to show that you can excel in medical school.

Adding onto Vanilla98 questions (which were great questions by the way) here is a few more
1. What were the recommended texts and how were the texts supplied? ebook or physical book
2. when would the powerpoints become available, willing to share powerpoints if you have them?
3. Adding to the car question, What is the parking situation like? I visited and theres a lot of pot holes and cruddy roads. is parking tough on campus? is there a lot of flooding? (drive a pretty low sporty car)
4. Any recommendations on neighborhoods to live? is ghent a must or is virginia beach 20 min away or so ok? or too far?
5. Do you suggest starting any reading material during this quarantine? I'm bored lol
6. Did you utilize EVMS assistance when submitting your med school applications? What was your time line like when you submitted it?

1. Each class has its own recommended text but honestly almost no one buys any of them besides first aid. A lot of online resources are passed down to each in coming class.

2. Most powerpoints are posted the week they are given but some people are better and some worse.

3. Parking on campus can be a bit of an issue during the middle of the day but i have never not been able to find a spot. Off campus is entirely depended on where you live. Flooding is a constant concern with medium to large storms but you can leave you car on campus in the parking structure when big storms are coming. The school will make announcements when big storms are on their way.

4. Most students live in ghent but you can also live in some of the neighborhoods around ghent. My wife and I live in a neighborhood next to ghent and have a 4 bed room house with a small yard for $1900/month. You can live in Virginia Beach or Portsmouth but both suffer from variable commutes. I lived in Virginia Beach during med master year and my commute could range from 20 mins to an hour depending on the time of day I would leave with "early morning" (7-9am) being one of the worst times to drive into Norfolk. Portsmouth suffers from having a toll if you drive into campus but you can buy one of the 757 public transport passes from school which costs like $70 and allows you to use all public transport for free so you can take the ferry from Portsmouth to Norfolk and then the tram to school from downtown.

5. Dont read anything but download anki and Zanking (see reddit.com/r/medicalschoolanki) and get familiar with it. Many students use anki and it is a huge help and there are premade decks that will cover 90% of the material you need for all exams. If anki isn't for you thats okay but most people I introduce anki to love it. Especially for anatomy.

6. Try and have all secondaries EXECPT FOR EVMS done before the semester starts. Seriously just get them done early. EVMS secondary should not be done until next Jan/Feb they dont want you doing it earlier because all of you will be interviewing in the spring (they have special interviews just for med masters) and if you want to do the secondary you can include things you have done during the med masters program.

Thank you for the information. I'm married and have two pets so i'll be dragging my wife and the pets down with me. How is the traffic from VB? we are looking to rent a house in VB or Portsmouth. any idea how Portsmouth is? so far ive heard mixed reviews.

and no, no questions specifically regarding the powerpoint. I was just hoping to glance over them to see what the slides look like and to get an idea on the amount of info and what level of detail goes into the classes.

Traffic sucks. Seriously its horrible. If you are right next to downtown Portsmouth isn't bad but I would recommend doing some of the high rises in Portsmouth over houses. What price range are you looking for? Send me a PM if you want and I can give you some more specifics on costs and where my wife and I currently live and where we lived during the med master program.

Thanks again for your help. Are there any research opportunities during this program?

Very little bench research but a good amount of clinical usually with residents.

Thank you. I hope my work experience is better than me having shadowing experience. I am a non trad.

So long as its clearly medical you should be good for applying to the med master program. As for your general medical application I would put down at least a few hours of shadowing. I am also non-traditional and have a lot of medical experience and honestly I went in for 2-3 shifts off the clock with doctors I get a long with and put that down as my shadowing.

Feel free to ask any other questions you all have I will try and respond when I can.

Reactions: 3 users
Omg it’s @Abraxas65 !! I remember stalking the 2018-2018 evms masters page a few days ago and seeing your name and some other guy all over the place answering questions and feeling jealous of that class for having so many now-med students-former-EVMS students answering questions

Do you like EVMS? Are you happy with your decision to stay there? Do you have any concerns/complaints about either the MM year or the MD program?

Reactions: 1 user
Have you been accepted to med school (anywhere, not necessarily just EVMS) yet? Was advising supportive in your opinion?

All things considered, do you recommend this program?

Honestly I only applied to EVMS. However, several of my classmates have been accepted to other schools. EVMS makes it easy to send update letters to show your progress throughout the year. No one will know whether or not they were accepted to EVMS until after graduation. Advising is supportive of acceptances even if they are not at EVMS.

I definitely recommend this program. There are many opportunities to get involved, the camaraderie is wonderful, and if you really put in the work to excel, there is no reason you shouldn't get into medical school. Those are just a few of the reasons but overall yes I recommend it.

Reactions: 2 users
Omg it’s @Abraxas65 !! I remember stalking the 2018-2018 evms masters page a few days ago and seeing your name and some other guy all over the place answering questions and feeling jealous of that class for having so many now-med students-former-EVMS students answering questions

Do you like EVMS? Are you happy with your decision to stay there? Do you have any concerns/complaints about either the MM year or the MD program?

I remember how nerve racking and stressful it was like when I started looking at SMP programs after having applied and not gotten into an MD or DO school for 5+ cycles so I try my best to come back every so often to answer questions when I can.

I really like EVMS I think its a great school and probably the best school for me personally that I could have been accepted to being so far from home (I'm from california) kind of sucks but I am married with kids so its fairly easy to tempt family to come and visit us well at least it was before COVID. The only big complaint I have about EVMS in general is the cost it is one of the most expensive schools in the country if you are out of state but in the end the cost is still worth it when you look at attending salaries. Small complaints would include things like wanting EVMS to have a more robust online lecture platform (they do offer lectures online but its not as nice as some schools which can do live streaming and such), I wish EVMS had all the big name specialties like neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, anesthesia, etc but we still have people match into these every year (neurosurgery is more like every other year or so not many EVMS students seem interested in it to be honest).

Reactions: 1 users
Application Question:
Has anyone encountered the portion of the application that asks for a personal statement of no more than 5,300 characters as well as later attaching a personal statement/essay of a page or less?
Are they asking for 2 different essays, or did anyone use the same?

Application Question:
Has anyone encountered the portion of the application that asks for a personal statement of no more than 5,300 characters as well as later attaching a personal statement/essay of a page or less?

I believe I read somewhere that it was the same essay but you can email them if you’d like! They’re very nice :) please update if you do !!

6. Try and have all secondaries EXECPT FOR EVMS done before the semester starts. Seriously just get them done early. EVMS secondary should not be done until next Jan/Feb they dont want you doing it earlier because all of you will be interviewing in the spring (they have special interviews just for med masters) and if you want to do the secondary you can include things you have done during the med masters program.
EVMS secondary is due Dec 31st!

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know the average time it takes after postbacc verification to receive a decision?

When I asked my admissions advisor a few days back she said the turnaround time was 2 weeks. I asked her because I have deadlines coming up for other programs to accept a seat so I guess we'll see

Sorry I guess I should've worded it better. Will this MS program give me a chance to interact with faculty and get recommendations for the EVMS medical (MD) program?

This program will allow you to show that you can handle the rigor of medical school through your grades as well as interact with faculty, get volunteer hours, etc. However, I believe that your application for the MD school should be submitted before the start of the program and so you will need letters of rec from your college/people you shadowed that know you well/etc. None of my letters of rec on my primary MD application are from this program.

Sjo provided tons of great info! I just wanted to add on this point that if you wanted to wait until after the program to apply to schools outside of EVMS, you definitely can. Applying during the program to EVMS is best, and you can send an EVMS faculty letter in late, but for other schools you probably wouldn't get a faculty letter until December at the earliest, which is late for outside schools. We work with you to determine a good timeline for applying if you're accepted, but just know that some students to decide to wait to apply!

Application Question:

The essay in the main application is a general "why medicine" type essay. The EVMS specific essay should focus on a summary of "why medicine" plus why an SMP & how you think it will help you and why EVMS specifically.

The essay in the main application is a general "why medicine" type essay. The EVMS specific essay should focus on a summary of "why medicine" plus why an SMP & how you think it will help you and why EVMS specifically.

I actually ended up using the same essay for both portions, as I thought it was still able to satisfy both prompt and was also confused on the difference between the two that the application was asking for. Will I be hurt by this even if I was still able to answer the questions of the essay?

Did anyone else receive an acceptance today via portal? I haven’t received an email or phone call but the portal states that I’ve been admitted to the 2 year track!

Did anyone else receive an acceptance today via portal? I haven’t received an email or phone call but the portal states that I’ve been admitted to the 2 year track!

Congrats on your acceptance!

@Abraxas65 @Sjo I had a question— I saw online that students in the masters program were also given tested with NBME subject tests, is this true? (And did you feel adequately prepared for them)

Also wondering if EVMS is helpful with financial aid both during the masters year and med school? Were they able to cover everything w loans and money?

Last edited:
@Abraxas65 @Sjo I had a question— I saw online that students in the masters program were also given tested with NBME subject tests, is this true? (And did you feel adequately prepared for them)

Also wondering if EVMS is helpful with financial aid both during the masters year and med school? Were they able to cover everything w loans and money?

You take the same classes as the first year medical students as well as the same exams. Yes the exams are retired NBME questions and yes you will be prepared for them as long as you study properly (for you) and understand all of the material. Financial aid should cover the cost of attendance + the cost of living.

I have also received my 2 year program acceptance today. I am an out of state student. Anybody knows some affordable housing nearby campus? Also ,anybody that has experience with the financing for the program? Meaning, how do we apply for aid, loans ,etc. Thank you.

I have also received my 2 year program acceptance today. I am an out of state student. Anybody knows some affordable housing nearby campus? Also ,anybody that has experience with the financing for the program? Meaning, how do we apply for aid, loans ,etc. Thank you.

Trying to figure out the housing situation right now, actually just got off the phone with a leasing agent lol

Which places are you looking into?

was looking into Virginia Beach, Chesapeake and downtown Norfolk. I might have made a decision on Downtown Norfolk though since this place is 1 mile from campus

I actually ended up using the same essay for both portions, as I thought it was still able to satisfy both prompt and was also confused on the difference between the two that the application was asking for. Will I be hurt by this even if I was still able to answer the questions of the essay?

Once an admissions person gets your application they will look it over. if there's anything else they need (i.e. clarification of hours, personal statement edits, etc.) they will reach out to you before sending it to be reviewed and a decision made.

@Sjo @Abraxas65 what other med schools besides ECMS do masters kids get into? And does EVMS help you generate a school list even if you’re applying before the (1year) program starts?

Is there a forum/Facebook page for EVMS student housing? I believe I read in some of the old messages that there is or will be a Facebook page for EVMS students looking for roommates and such?

Is there a forum/Facebook page for EVMS student housing? I believe I read in some of the old messages that there is or will be a Facebook page for EVMS students looking for roommates and such?

There will be. I was told by EVMS that once students have been accepted they will be able to join the Med Masters Facebook page and at some point they will post something about apartments and such. Not sure when that will be though so i've been looking around in the mean time.

@Sjo @Abraxas65 what other med schools besides ECMS do masters kids get into? And does EVMS help you generate a school list even if you’re applying before the (1year) program starts?

I honestly am not sure. I never really asked what schools my classmates applied to or got acceptances to. Some had interviews but since lecture is not mandatory, I couldn't tell you how often someone was gone for an interview or anything. I really don't know. But if you have a list of schools you are interested in applying to, you can talk to the Medical Masters staff and they'll provide you with information about their recommendations for you (based on the list you provide) based on your qualifications - grades, experiences, etc. Then throughout the year as you do well in the MM program, they'll help you send update letters.

Sorry for the late response. Pretty much every exam in the preclinical years is NBME (I actually cant think of one non-NBME to be honest) which is a huge help because it opens up the number and variety of resources you can study and still do well immensely. Once you get in a lot will be shared with you on what other resources are helpful (pathoma/BnB/Sketchy/Anki). I always felt prepared for my exams except for the final for one of the foundational science courses our very first semester but the whole class felt this way (in the end we did fine) but they change the curriculum afterwards and I hear its much better.

EVMS is helpful with financial aid but no more so than any other school in my experience. They do what they need to in order for you to get your loans, which reminds me I still have to fill out this years loan application paper work :meh:

Most of them got in to their local state medical schools but honestly I only knew of 2 people who got in before graduation, not because ppl hadn't gotten in but because they were just quiet about it. Any SMP is very stressful and I think everyone just realized boasting about getting an acceptance to anyone that isn't a close friend would be pretty distasteful. I am sure they celebrated with friends and family when they found out though just kept it quiet on campus.

Hey guys! I have some questions for anyone who's in the program or who may have the answers!

1. Why is there such a difference in number of acceptances between the 1 and 2 yr program? The 1 year accepts about 60 right and how come the 2 year only accepts around 20?
2. Has anyone applied to the 1 year only and got rejected and then they said that they will offer you a spot in the 2 year? If so, were you fine with that and should you call admissions and try to convince them that you have the required credentials for the 1 year and ask them to reconsider your app? I know the 2 year program is for people who don't have a lot of volunteering and shadowing experiences but what if you have well over the average amount of hours? Wouldn't that just be a repeat? Also they take the Kaplan MCAT course, but again what if you have already taken that?
3. Are med masters students invited to all of the things the medical students are invited to? (med school prom, etc.)

Thanks!

Hey guys! I have some questions for anyone who's in the program or who may have the answers!

1. Why is there such a difference in number of acceptances between the 1 and 2 yr program? The 1 year accepts about 60 right and how come the 2 year only accepts around 20?
2. Has anyone applied to the 1 year only and got rejected and then they said that they will offer you a spot in the 2 year? If so, were you fine with that and should you call admissions and try to convince them that you have the required credentials for the 1 year and ask them to reconsider your app? I know the 2 year program is for people who don't have a lot of volunteering and shadowing experiences but what if you have well over the average amount of hours? Wouldn't that just be a repeat? Also they take the Kaplan MCAT course, but again what if you have already taken that?
3. Are med masters students invited to all of the things the medical students are invited to? (med school prom, etc.)

Thanks!
1) I'm not sure, I hope someone else can answer this one

2) I actually applied to the 2 year program in November 2018 because I did not have very many volunteer hours. After I applied, I kept volunteering and sent an update once I was around 120ish hours in February 2019 and they ended up offering me a spot in the 1 year program in March because the rest of my application was qualified for the 1 year program. It is actually a lot harder to get into the 2 year program because they accept so many less applicants.

3) Med masters are allowed to participate in most academic things (same classes, same labs, same tests, less ultrasound exposure, no clinical skills) and social events including the orientation, formals, etc.

Thanks!

Not sure if this is still true but 3 years ago the difference was completely due to the size of each cohort (2yr program is a lot smaller) I believe the % chance of being accepted is fairly similar but hopefully the official evms med master account can provide this data.

I know that they will at times contact students and recommend changing which program they are applying to but I dont think it happens a lot. I suspect that if this does happen to you they would be happy to speak with you on the phone about why they recommend the change. They may not change their mind but it wouldnt hurt to call.

Med masters class usually is pretty tight with each other and the M1 class. You will be taking the same classes with 2 exceptions anatomy and a presentation course med students dont take. The "prom" is technically run and funded by the M1 class but to my knowledge every year they work in collaboration with the med master class and everyone is allowed to buy/receive tickets. As mentioned above you wont being doing the clinical skills that the med students do and you have less ultrasound exposure since it is integrated heavily into the anatomy course which is different than the one the medical students take.

Hey guys I am a current applicant here waiting to hear back. To the people that have already completed the master's or are in it right now, did you guys have to prep ahead of time for the SMP to do well? I am a little nervous about that because most of my summer will be going toward MCAT prep so I won't be ready to start learning ahead of time. If I have the choice, should I just opt for the 2 year program then? I am taking 18 credit semesters in undergrad with plenty of sciences and handling it fine but I realize this is a completely different ball game. Or is it all about how much time you are willing to put in when you're there already?

Hey guys I am a current applicant here waiting to hear back. To the people that have already completed the master's or are in it right now, did you guys have to prep ahead of time for the SMP to do well? I am a little nervous about that because most of my summer will be going toward MCAT prep so I won't be ready to start learning ahead of time. If I have the choice, should I just opt for the 2 year program then? I am taking 18 credit semesters in undergrad with plenty of sciences and handling it fine but I realize this is a completely different ball game. Or is it all about how much time you are willing to put in when you're there already?
I personally did not study the summer prior and have done well so far (this is the last module rn). As long as you don't fall behind once classes start, you'll be fine. They understand that most students probably don't remember everything from intro bio in college or whatever and will review specific concepts briefly before explaining new material. If you are still confused, there are plenty of resources available to you to get help before being tested on the information. If you are unsure about doing the 1 year vs 2 year, you should call and talk to them about your application and they will give you advice.

I personally did not study the summer prior and have done well so far (this is the last module rn). As long as you don't fall behind once classes start, you'll be fine. They understand that most students probably don't remember everything from intro bio in college or whatever and will review specific concepts briefly before explaining new material. If you are still confused, there are plenty of resources available to you to get help before being tested on the information. If you are unsure about doing the 1 year vs 2 year, you should call and talk to them about your application and they will give you advice.
Gotcha. I did already they recommended the 1 year, I was just a bit worried with how difficult everyone was telling me it was. I know any SMP is gonna be hard, I was just worried about not being ready. However if no prior prep is necessary to do well, I am ready to to grind out for a year.

Gotcha. I did already they recommended the 1 year, I was just a bit worried with how difficult everyone was telling me it was. I know any SMP is gonna be hard, I was just worried about not being ready. However if no prior prep is necessary to do well, I am ready to to grind out for a year.
It will be difficult but like I said earlier in this thread, not impossible. Keep up with the material and you should be fine. Also don't be ashamed to get a tutor. I got one like the second week and kept using one throughout the entire year and it was one of the best decisions I could've made. Also, they may provide some information during the summer that you can pre-study (they did for my class) on some concepts that you should've learned in undergrad that you can refresh yourself on.

It will be difficult but like I said earlier in this thread, not impossible. Keep up with the material and you should be fine. Also don't be ashamed to get a tutor. I got one like the second week and kept using one throughout the entire year and it was one of the best decisions I could've made. Also, they may provide some information during the summer that you can pre-study (they did for my class) on some concepts that you should've learned in undergrad that you can refresh yourself on.
Is there a specific company you hired a tutor from?