EVMS Med Masters 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It will be difficult but like I said earlier in this thread, not impossible. Keep up with the material and you should be fine. Also don't be ashamed to get a tutor. I got one like the second week and kept using one throughout the entire year and it was one of the best decisions I could've made. Also, they may provide some information during the summer that you can pre-study (they did for my class) on some concepts that you should've learned in undergrad that you can refresh yourself on.

Did you have to pay for your tutor? Or were they someone from evms?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No they assign you one from EVMS if you request one
Oh, nice! Can you please elaborate on this? Like how often are you allowed to use the tutor? Are the tutors former MM students? Are there limited hours of tutoring? Is it 1 on 1 or a group tutoring session? Anything else you might want to add will be appreciated!

Oh, nice! Can you please elaborate on this? Like how often are you allowed to use the tutor? Are the tutors former MM students? Are there limited hours of tutoring? Is it 1 on 1 or a group tutoring session? Anything else you might want to add will be appreciated!
You will be in a small group with a few other students and your tutor will workout a time and day each week to tutor the group for 2 hours. I recommend always coming to tutoring prepared - knowing what you need help with - because you don't have all day. If your tutor is super nice and on top of it, they may send you extra practice questions, study sheets, Anki decks, etc on their own time but this is not required of them. You may be able to get 1 on 1 tutoring if you're REALLY struggling but I think most people do fine with just the group tutoring. Some tutors are students in the PathA program for anatomy, some are former MM students, etc.. it really just depends on the subject.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got accepted into the 1 year program! Still hoping to get off the alternate list for the MD program, but glad to at least have more of an idea as to what I am doing this upcoming year!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys I am a current applicant here waiting to hear back. To the people that have already completed the master's or are in it right now, did you guys have to prep ahead of time for the SMP to do well? I am a little nervous about that because most of my summer will be going toward MCAT prep so I won't be ready to start learning ahead of time. If I have the choice, should I just opt for the 2 year program then? I am taking 18 credit semesters in undergrad with plenty of sciences and handling it fine but I realize this is a completely different ball game. Or is it all about how much time you are willing to put in when you're there already?
I dont know if this helps but I got accepted into the one year program without the MCAT and trying to take it in august so we are in the same boat! So hopefully going over MCAT stuff can be a refresher

Reactions: 2 users
I dont know if this helps but I got accepted into the one year program without the MCAT and trying to take it in august so we are in the same boat! So hopefully going over MCAT stuff can be a refresher

did you submit anything in place of the mcat (GRE, practice scores etc)? I want to apply butI’ve been holding off because I don’t have an MCAT score.

That’s awesome! Do you mind sharing your stats. I also just applied a couple of days ago and I’m hoping it will workout.

Accepted to one year program! Submitted 2/17/20 accepted 3/28/20

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys I am a current applicant here waiting to hear back. To the people that have already completed the master's or are in it right now, did you guys have to prep ahead of time for the SMP to do well? I am a little nervous about that because most of my summer will be going toward MCAT prep so I won't be ready to start learning ahead of time. If I have the choice, should I just opt for the 2 year program then? I am taking 18 credit semesters in undergrad with plenty of sciences and handling it fine but I realize this is a completely different ball game. Or is it all about how much time you are willing to put in when you're there already?

If they feel you should be in the 1 year program I would go with that. No real need to prestudy the most I would do is get comfortable with anki its a free program which uses electronic flashcards. Dont try and prestudy using anki just get comfortable with the program and how it works. You will be given access to some premade anki decks the first week of school that most people find to be a big help especially with anatomy.

Is there a specific company you hired a tutor from?

EVMS offers tutoring for free. The tutors are fellow students who have already taken the course and gotten above a certain cut off grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how long we have to accept the offer after acceptance? I was accepted last week and it only said to pay the deposit within 10 days of accepting the offer, however it never said how long we actually have to accept the offer.

Does anyone know how long we have to accept the offer after acceptance? I was accepted last week and it only said to pay the deposit within 10 days of accepting the offer, however it never said how long we actually have to accept the offer.
You can technically defer before the start of the program but for PCOM they have a set date for when tuition is due. EVMS will probably send you a letter with the details just make sure you pay your deposit so you don’t lose your seat. May I ask how long it took for you to hear back?

You can technically defer before the start of the program but for PCOM they have a set date for when tuition is due. EVMS will probably send you a letter with the details just make sure you pay your deposit so you don’t lose your seat. May I ask how long it took for you to hear back?

I am also wondering how long we have to accept. I am not sure how long it took OP to hear back, but for reference, my application was complete 4/17 and I was accepted on 4/23 -- very quick turn around!

Ok thank you so much! sure! I applied on April 15th and heard back on April 20th!

Thats awesome, congrats to both of you! I applied Tuesday so hopefully I will hear back this upcoming week. I applied without an MCAT so hopefully that won't delay things

Reactions: 1 users
hi guys, i had a question about the secondary for the masters and would really really appreciate you guys' thoughts--

Address the topics of why you have chosen to apply to a special master’s program, and why you think the EVMS Medical Master’s program is a good fit.

did you guys go into depth mentioning why you applied to an SMP (for me it would be low grades and i was wondering if i should spend a lot of time discussing my low grades? i have legitimate reasons for them, but i was really looking forward to going all out explaining why EVMS and theres a page limit)

hi guys, i had a question about the secondary for the masters and would really really appreciate you guys' thoughts--

Address the topics of why you have chosen to apply to a special master’s program, and why you think the EVMS Medical Master’s program is a good fit.

did you guys go into depth mentioning why you applied to an SMP (for me it would be low grades and i was wondering if i should spend a lot of time discussing my low grades? i have legitimate reasons for them, but i was really looking forward to going all out explaining why EVMS and theres a page limit)
Hey, so rather than focusing on your low grades I would say how EVMS will give you the opportunity to improve yourself overall. Mention that it will give you the opportunity to both improve your GPA and show that you can handle medical school classes, and then I would go into talking about what the school has to offer and how it will benefit you and bring you closer to becoming a doctor. Im only saying this because this is an academic enhancer program, so they know everyone applying could use a bump to their GPA.

Hey, so rather than focusing on your low grades I would say how EVMS will give you the opportunity to improve yourself overall. Mention that it will give you the opportunity to both improve your GPA and show that you can handle medical school classes, and then I would go into talking about what the school has to offer and how it will benefit you and bring you closer to becoming a doctor. Im only saying this because this is an academic enhancer program, so they know everyone applying could use a bump to their GPA.

Thank you!! So I shouldn’t mention why in particular I have low grades, just that I have them?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thats awesome, congrats to both of you! I applied Tuesday so hopefully I will hear back this upcoming week. I applied without an MCAT so hopefully that won't delay things
I also applied without an MCAT! Best of luck!

Thank you!! So I shouldn’t mention why in particular I have low grades, just that I have them?

You can mention it briefly, but that personal statement is only supposed to be a page. PostBacCAS has a separate section for your real med school personal statement so that is where I told my story of why my grades were low and how I have improved since and all that fun stuff. Since this is a second personal statement strictly for the EVMS program, it would probably be best to talk about how the program can provide resources that will allow you to continue showing your improvement and get you closer to becoming a doc.

I agree! I mentioned my low grades in my personal statement and how I overcame. So I didn’t feel the need to discuss that again. For the secondary I focused on how their program can help prepare me for medical school. Also talked about how I looked forward to being apart of their program because of the community outreach opportunities and how their mission statement aligns with my goals and ideals

I applied without MCAT as well and was accepted! I think you will be fine ☺️

If you don't mind me asking what range was your gpa? And did you send in copy of your practice MCAT scores?

Hi guys one last question, all we have to do is submit the postbaccas, and email a pic of ourselves and MCAT scores right? Is there anything else?

and does postbaccas take a long time to verify? only after it gets verified does EVMS even see the app right? postbaccas sent me an email saying that it takes on average two weeks to get verified so :/

Last edited:
Hi guys one last question, all we have to do is submit the postbaccas, and email a pic of ourselves and MCAT scores right? Is there anything else?

and does postbaccas take a long time to verify? only after it gets verified does EVMS even see the app right? postbaccas sent me an email saying that it takes on average two weeks to get verified so :/

Correct! My app took I think 3-4 days to be verified, maybe less. But it can take up to 2 weeks.

Hopefully they send out the log in credentials today! I’m so anxious to start this program and find housing and meet everyone!

My app took 2-3 days to get verified!

Anyone know if there is a gym on campus? Gotta balance that professional life with healthy habits!

Anyone know if there is a gym on campus? Gotta balance that professional life with healthy habits!
No idea! But Hopefully so. Definitely need to instill some healthy and stress relieving habits! Have they had like a webinar or some sort of virtual tour this year for incoming and prospective students? I’m coming from Alabama so I’m a little nervous about the move and being in a whole new environment

No idea! But Hopefully so. Definitely need to instill some healthy and stress relieving habits! Have they had like a webinar or some sort of virtual tour this year for incoming and prospective students? I’m coming from Alabama so I’m a little nervous about the move and being in a whole new environment

I was fortunate enough to check it out back in October before the COVID situation. The campus tour wasn't really a tour. I went for a consultation and then met a 2 year student who showed me the lecture hall, the lab and explained how the week is broken up based on the 2 year program although I was accepted to the 1 Year MM. I didn't get to see the gym or library unfortunately, I should have probably asked lol

The area might be quite the change for you. I'm from NYC and for the last 2 years I lived upstate (suburbs/rural-ish) and Norfolk def reminds me more of city living. I def became more accustom to the suburb life (plenty of parking, smoother roads etc) lol But outside of the city like less than 10 minutes away, it def gets more peaceful

There is not as of right now. There are some local gyms but they are building a new building that should be opening in Fall 2020 so maybe it will have a gym but idk what will be in it yet.

Hey guys just got verified today but now I’m kind of freaking out bc my gpa According to postbaccas is a 3.02 when on my actual transcript it’s like a 3.3. Kinda really scared I won’t get in now, even with my relatively pretty good MCAT score :/ this was my first choice program so I’m pretty sad now lol

Hope everyone else’s app season is going much better than mine!

Hey guys just got verified today but now I’m kind of freaking out bc my gpa According to postbaccas is a 3.02 when on my actual transcript it’s like a 3.3. Kinda really scared I won’t get in now, even with my relatively pretty good MCAT score :/ this was my first choice program so I’m pretty sad now lol

Hey you're still above a 3.0. it's about your whole application not just a number, keep your head up. I am in the same boat for my science looking at around a 3.08. Although I have applied exactly a week ago and it is making me bit nervous since everyone else heard back 4-5 days after their application.

Hey you're still above a 3.0. it's about your whole application not just a number, keep your head up. I am in the same boat for my science looking at around a 3.08. Although I have applied exactly a week ago and it is making me bit nervous since everyone else heard back 4-5 days after their application.

Hey guys dont be nervous. EVMS really does look at your whole application and not just run the numbers. I can say this because I got accepted with a sGPA of around 3.0X to 3.1 (I dont remember). I highly suggest you guys do an over the phone consultation as that does help you connect more with them. I did in person consultation back in October 2019 and I believe that did help me.

Good luck to you all!

• Love

for sure man, totally get it. really appreciate you writing this; hoping for good news for us soon!

Forgot to add, it took me almost 2 weeks to hear back. so dont worry about that

Hey guys dont be nervous. EVMS really does look at your whole application and not just run the numbers. I can say this because I got accepted with a sGPA of around 3.0X to 3.1 (I dont remember). I highly suggest you guys do an over the phone consultation as that does help you connect more with them. I did in person consultation back in October 2019 and I believe that did help me.

Good luck to you all!
I did one of those before I applied. Do you think its too soon to check on the status of my application :lol:

I did one of those before I applied. Do you think its too soon to check on the status of my application :lol:

lol I did the consultation, submitted my application about a week later, verified few days later and followed up with them 2 days after verifying lol so go for it

Good luck to you all!
I completely agree guys! My sgpa is 3.0. cgpa is 2.82. They really look at your entire application holistically. I also submitted my app w/o MCAT. However, I had really good LORs, lots of extracurriculars, research and poster presentations, volunteering, etc. took about 1.5 weeks from my app being complete and getting my acceptance! Y’all got this Try not to be nervous although I can understand cause that was me!

• Love
lol I did the consultation, submitted my application about a week later, verified few days later and followed up with them 2 days after verifying lol so go for it

Oh yay!! I was scared to bother them lol after applying lol

Also their phone line is down due to covid, would it be weird to email them lol

Also I had a question to ask you, *not for the MM year** but while doing ur MD, are there a lot of opportunities for research? Any general complaints about evms? ik they don’t match a lot of ultra-competitive specialties, which idk how I feel about; I’m thiiiiinking of anesthesiology rn but I know that EVMS doesn’t have a residency for that so I was a little worried about mentoring, pubs, etc during the MD.

I completely agree guys! My sgpa is 3.0. cgpa is 2.82. They really look at your entire application holistically. I also submitted my app w/o MCAT. However, I had really good LORs, lots of extracurriculars, research and poster presentations, volunteering, etc. took about 1.5 weeks from my app being complete and getting my acceptance! Y’all got this Try not to be nervous although I can understand cause that was me!
Did you get into the 1 or 2 year program? I had similar stats and everything and applied for the 1 year but they recommended me for the 2 year

Also I had a question to ask you, *not for the MM year** but while doing ur MD, are there a lot of opportunities for research? Any general complaints about evms? ik they don’t match a lot of ultra-competitive specialties, which idk how I feel about; I’m thiiiiinking of anesthesiology rn but I know that EVMS doesn’t have a residency for that so I was a little worried about mentoring, pubs, etc during the MD.

Maybe wait like 5 days before following up with them. I knew the day of the week they sit down to discuss applicants so I messaged them the day after they had their applicant review lol all about timing!

as for the other question, I will be starting the MM 1 year so I dont know about the other opportunities first hand but from what I gathered from reading on their website, forums, and talking to the admissions, they said usually they match with specialties more along the lines of internal med since that is what helps the greater amount of people and that usually aligns with the personalities of the students in the program if that makes sense. EVMS emphasizes community involvement, volunteer work and student run clinic so I think thats why they dont really have a large number of people matching Gen surg, anesthesiology etc. And unfortunately, I did read (I dont remember the source) there isn't many opportunities to get involved in research. I get the concern about the match/residency situation but keep in mind, people have gone to the Caribbean's and matched into Surgery and Radiology. I too am looking into something a bit more competitive but that will all depend on our Step scores.

Not weird at all, you can schedule a phone appointment with them that is what I did. As for the specialties, don't worry too much about that if you look at their match list they have a variety of people going into all kinds of specialties. Once your in a US MD school it's all about how well you do on boards and the connections you make in your free time.

Lots of questions I will do my best to get an answer to everything.

No gym on campus but new building which should open this year with a rumor of a gym but if there is a gym do not expect a full gym experience think more hotel gym. At least that is my thoughts.

This is just my suspicion but I doubt any kind of webinar or virtual tour is going to happen pretty much the whole campus is shut down and everyone is working remotely.

I got into the 1 year program 4 years ago with a 2.7X cgpe for under grad. Did have a lot of graduate programs to pull it up but lots of students get in with low 3.0-3.1 range.

Research opportunities do exist there is actually a summer scholars (research) program that happens over the summer which has a small stipend and many students do this between M1 and M2 years. There isn't a ton of research compared to larger programs and some areas such as anesthesia, ortho, neurosurgery are very hard to find research for since we dont have a residency for these at EVMS but there are ways to get research if you are willing to put the work in. EVMS does match fairly well in anesthesiology and there is very active student interest club that helps a lot. The local anesthesia group also offers some mentoring especially to M3s and M4s.

Maybe wait like 5 days before following up with them. I knew the day of the week they sit down to discuss applicants so I messaged them the day after they had their applicant review lol all about timing!

as for the other question, I will be starting the MM 1 year so I dont know about the other opportunities first hand but from what I gathered from reading on their website, forums, and talking to the admissions, they said usually they match with specialties more along the lines of internal med since that is what helps the greater amount of people and that usually aligns with the personalities of the students in the program if that makes sense. EVMS emphasizes community involvement, volunteer work and student run clinic so I think thats why they dont really have a large number of people matching Gen surg, anesthesiology etc. And unfortunately, I did read (I dont remember the source) there isn't many opportunities to get involved in research. I get the concern about the match/residency situation but keep in mind, people have gone to the Caribbean's and matched into Surgery and Radiology. I too am looking into something a bit more competitive but that will all depend on our Step scores.

Research is harder to find than other larger university medical schools but opportunities still exist. Also research is kind of overblown, its good to have a publication but the majority of resident applicants do not have publications but instead have poster presentation and abstracts or other publications such as helping write case reports or book chapters.

Abraxas65 in the clutch yet again! thanks for sharing information with us and your stats to give assurance to those that are still in application process.