EVMS Med Masters 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lots of questions I will do my best to get an answer to everything.

No gym on campus but new building which should open this year with a rumor of a gym but if there is a gym do not expect a full gym experience think more hotel gym. At least that is my thoughts.

This is just my suspicion but I doubt any kind of webinar or virtual tour is going to happen pretty much the whole campus is shut down and everyone is working remotely.

I got into the 1 year program 4 years ago with a 2.7X cgpe for under grad. Did have a lot of graduate programs to pull it up but lots of students get in with low 3.0-3.1 range.

Research opportunities do exist there is actually a summer scholars (research) program that happens over the summer which has a small stipend and many students do this between M1 and M2 years. There isn't a ton of research compared to larger programs and some areas such as anesthesia, ortho, neurosurgery are very hard to find research for since we dont have a residency for these at EVMS but there are ways to get research if you are willing to put the work in. EVMS does match fairly well in anesthesiology and there is very active student interest club that helps a lot. The local anesthesia group also offers some mentoring especially to M3s and M4s.

Research is harder to find than other larger university medical schools but opportunities still exist. Also research is kind of overblown, its good to have a publication but the majority of resident applicants do not have publications but instead have poster presentation and abstracts or other publications such as helping write case reports or book chapters.
Thank you so much for the info!! So even with your gpa, you were able to matriculate into their MD program? Or did you choose another medical program?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone feel anxious about the student loan debt that comes with the program? I was accepted to the 2 year program, and this is going to be my first time asking for loans, it truly scares me, as I know that interest rates can eat you up alive. Is anyone on the same boat? Are there any scholarships or grants available for Masters program that anyone know about, or are we basically on our own, as far as financing goes?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone feel anxious about the student loan debt that comes with the program? I was accepted to the 2 year program, and this is going to be my first time asking for loans, it truly scares me, as I know that interest rates can eat you up alive. Is anyone on the same boat? Are there any scholarships or grants available for Masters program that anyone know about, or are we basically on our own, as far as financing goes?
That has been my number one concern! It’s really hard to find any scholarships for grad students. I’ve been trying to apply to any scholarship of any amount that I can to help. I’ve been using FastWeb and sites like that to search for them.

Maybe wait like 5 days before following up with them. I knew the day of the week they sit down to discuss applicants so I messaged them the day after they had their applicant review lol all about timing!

as for the other question, I will be starting the MM 1 year so I dont know about the other opportunities first hand but from what I gathered from reading on their website, forums, and talking to the admissions, they said usually they match with specialties more along the lines of internal med since that is what helps the greater amount of people and that usually aligns with the personalities of the students in the program if that makes sense. EVMS emphasizes community involvement, volunteer work and student run clinic so I think thats why they dont really have a large number of people matching Gen surg, anesthesiology etc. And unfortunately, I did read (I dont remember the source) there isn't many opportunities to get involved in research. I get the concern about the match/residency situation but keep in mind, people have gone to the Caribbean's and matched into Surgery and Radiology. I too am looking into something a bit more competitive but that will all depend on our Step scores.
Sadly step 1 is now pass fail

Guys I have another stupid question, after PostBacCAS verifies ur app I know it gets sent to EVMS, but do they send u any kind of email to let you know they got it? And also, how do you check your status? I’ve heard there’s a portal but I don’t think I ever got a link to it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Guys I have another stupid question, after PostBacCAS verifies ur app I know it gets sent to EVMS, but do they send u any kind of email to let you know they got it? And also, how do you check your status? I’ve heard there’s a portal but I don’t think I ever got a link to it

Yes you’ll get an email saying it’s out for review. If not they’ll email saying there is something missing.

Anyone know if there is a gym on campus? Gotta balance that professional life with healthy habits!

Not sure but there's a few gyms in Norfolk that are affordable! I've been a member at OneLife for years and love it

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted to the one-year program today! Applied 4/8, accepted 4/29
Mine took a while with missing documents but was sent for review just last week by my advisor

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone! I was accepted to the 1-year program last week (4/21), my application was complete the week before (4/16). I was hoping I could message someone to discuss the process of concurrently applying to MD schools while taking the program, as well as resources EVMS provides to do this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine took a while with missing documents but was sent for review just last week by my advisor
Nice! Do you mind sharing your stats and Mcat?

@Stay_med26 I haven’t received my credentials yet. From the message I received, it said that it usually takes about ten days from the date you paid the $300 to hold your spot.

Nice! Do you mind sharing your stats and Mcat?

sGPA: 3.14, cGPA:3.2
No MCAT, hoping to get it done by August depending on the COVID situation to keep my applications on track.

Last edited:
Just got accepted today. They seem to be sending them out day by day so if you applied last week or the week before keep checking your emails!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Not sure but there's a few gyms in Norfolk that are affordable! I've been a member at OneLife for years and love it

I dont see the gyms opening up anytime soon =[ I have been looking up the bowflex dumbbells and they are at such a markup everywhere FML. Gotta find good safe places to go for a run at least

Just got accepted today. They seem to be sending them out day by day so if you applied last week or the week before keep checking your emails!

Congrats!! I was rooting for you after you helped me with all my last-minute questions

Congrats!

Congrats!!

Just got accepted to the 1-year program this morning. cgpa: 3.19 sGPA: 3.45 MCAT: 518.

Congrats!! I was rooting for you after you helped me with all my last-minute questions

Thanks you! We had similar stats so hopefully that acceptance email is on its way to you

Just got accepted to the 1-year program this morning. cgpa: 3.19 sGPA: 3.45 MCAT: 518.
Congrats! That is one hell of an MCAT score! Did you do some king of prep class or was it all self study. I gotta do all of that this summer before the program starts

Congrats! That is one hell of an MCAT score! Did you do some king of prep class or was it all self study. I gotta do all of that this summer before the program starts
I got a 507 my first try and the 518 on the second attempt. It was one solid week of the Kaplan books for 8 hours a day right before my test

Accepted today to the 1-year program! Thank you again to everyone who helped me with the last minute freak-out about the essay and grades :))

• Love
Accepted to the 1 year track!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted today to the 1-year program! Thank you again to everyone who helped me with the last minute freak-out about the essay and grades :))

Congratulations!

Hi all - I want to turn in an application ASAP. I was wondering...is the MCAT requirement waived for one or both programs? And also, what is the deadline, has it been changed due to COVID?

Thanks guys!

Hi all - I want to turn in an application ASAP. I was wondering...is the MCAT requirement waived for one or both programs? And also, what is the deadline, has it been changed due to COVID?

Thanks guys!

It looks like a number of people on here have submitted without MCAT scores, but to my knowledge the deadline hasn’t been extended. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong!

It looks like a number of people on here have submitted without MCAT scores, but to my knowledge the deadline hasn’t been extended. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong!

This is correct. If you are doing the one year I would just let them know that you are taking the MCAT this summer

Is there an FB page for this program? And do you need to send a deposit to join?

Is there an FB page for this program? And do you need to send a deposit to join?

FB Group (1 year) search "EVMS Medical Master's 1 year c/o 2021"
FB Group (2 year) search "EVMS Medical Master's 2 year c/o 2022"

Does anyone know the deadline to accept our offers from EVMS MM?

Can anyone provide insight on the other MD schools applicants got into other than EVMS the year following the program?

Thank you so much for the info!! So even with your gpa, you were able to matriculate into their MD program? Or did you choose another medical program?

Yes, even with my gpa I got into EVMS. They do a very good job of making sure the admission board looks predominately at your performance at EVMS before looking at anything else.

Loans suck. Before doing the SMP I only had $10k from studying abroad for a year. But its good to remind yourself that every year you dont get accepted is a year of attending salary lost (minimum $200k/yr). No real scholarships available for masters program. Best advice in my opinion is bite the bullet and dont think about the loans during the program just do well.

Think I read there will be more pressure on the step 2CK. Alot is changing in the world and in academics it's crazy

This is what I have been hearing as well. Step 2 is going to become a lot more important.

Hey everyone! I was accepted to the 1-year program last week (4/21), my application was complete the week before (4/16). I was hoping I could message someone to discuss the process of concurrently applying to MD schools while taking the program, as well as resources EVMS provides to do this? Thanks!

Apply like normal, make sure to get applications done day one as normal. Get every secondary (expect for EVMS) done before starting class seriously you dont want to be studying for exams and trying to do freaking idiotic secondaries. I didn't do this and it really sucked. Also double check with the programs you are applying to if they will look at students currently in an SMP, found out after paying for secondaries that a lot of california schools wont look at your application until the year after completing an SMP. Still bitter about that.

Can anyone provide insight on the other MD schools applicants got into other than EVMS the year following the program?

Too numerous to list them all but usually it seems to be an instate school that they get accepted too. example student from kentucky does well in the program and get accepted to EVMS and Uni of Kentucky and they wisely take the instate tuition. If you are interested in a more detailed list of schools that aren't "instate" schools I would reach out to the program directly. I know there was some work done trying to build relationships with some DO schools so that they could come and give info presentations to students but dont know much besides the fact that they happened once or twice when i was in the program.

Yes, even with my gpa I got into EVMS. They do a very good job of making sure the admission board looks predominately at your performance at EVMS before looking at anything else.

Loans suck. Before doing the SMP I only had $10k from studying abroad for a year. But its good to remind yourself that every year you dont get accepted is a year of attending salary lost (minimum $200k/yr). No real scholarships available for masters program. Best advice in my opinion is bite the bullet and dont think about the loans during the program just do well.

This is what I have been hearing as well. Step 2 is going to become a lot more important.

Apply like normal, make sure to get applications done day one as normal. Get every secondary (expect for EVMS) done before starting class seriously you dont want to be studying for exams and trying to do freaking idiotic secondaries. I didn't do this and it really sucked. Also double check with the programs you are applying to if they will look at students currently in an SMP, found out after paying for secondaries that a lot of california schools wont look at your application until the year after completing an SMP. Still bitter about that.

Too numerous to list them all but usually it seems to be an instate school that they get accepted too. example student from kentucky does well in the program and get accepted to EVMS and Uni of Kentucky and they wisely take the instate tuition. If you are interested in a more detailed list of schools that aren't "instate" schools I would reach out to the program directly. I know there was some work done trying to build relationships with some DO schools so that they could come and give info presentations to students but dont know much besides the fact that they happened once or twice when i was in the program.
Thank you so much for the response!!

Thanks so much for your response! Do you mind if I message you privately to ask a couple of questions? Also a CA applicant.

Did anybody else really struggle with the "why are you applying to an SMP/EVMS" essay? The rest of my application is ready to submit, but I've hated each of my drafts for this second essay so I haven't applied yet. Did y'all write this like a personal statement with stories or just a straightforward response?

Did anybody else really struggle with the "why are you applying to an SMP/EVMS" essay? The rest of my application is ready to submit, but I've hated each of my drafts for this second essay so I haven't applied yet. Did y'all write this like a personal statement with stories or just a straightforward response?
As long as you answer why you need to do an SMP and specifically why you're choosing EVMS, you should be okay.

I basically had a good portion of my personal statement, and had 1 paragraph dedicated to why an SMP is good for me and another paragraph on why EVMS. it came out to 1 full page

Hey guys! I was accepted to EVMS 1 year without an MCAT score a few weeks ago. I was also accepted to Temple's ACMS program that comes with a guaranteed MD offer to Temple's MD program. There are obvious pros to the guaranteed program, but I would like to stay in VA if possible (family, friends, I like trees, not a fan of crime). My biggest concern with EVMS is that it is not a guaranteed shot to staying at EVMS. Temple's ACMS contract states that you must receive a 3.6 GPA in their program and a 509 by May of 2021. If I have these at EVMS, what will my chance be of getting an offer?
I would like to stick with EVMS, this state is my home and EVMS is an incredible program that I have wanted to go to for the past few years. But this guarantee is throwing me off.

Just got accepted to the med school at EVMS, so withdrawing my acceptance to the 1-year program. Good luck guys!

Hey guys! I was accepted to EVMS 1 year without an MCAT score a few weeks ago. I was also accepted to Temple's ACMS program that comes with a guaranteed MD offer to Temple's MD program. There are obvious pros to the guaranteed program, but I would like to stay in VA if possible (family, friends, I like trees, not a fan of crime). My biggest concern with EVMS is that it is not a guaranteed shot to staying at EVMS. Temple's ACMS contract states that you must receive a 3.6 GPA in their program and a 509 by May of 2021. If I have these at EVMS, what will my chance be of getting an offer?
I would like to stick with EVMS, this state is my home and EVMS is an incredible program that I have wanted to go to for the past few years. But this guarantee is throwing me off.
Dude, I would go to Temple for sure since it's a conditional acceptance. I'm still waiting to hear back from them regarding my ACMS application. What were your stats if you don't mind sharing?