Examkrackers bio 101 passages or TBR bio passages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joe7456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had to invest your time in 101 passages of the new EK biology and biomolecules or all of the TBR biology passages which resource would you choose and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd do EK 101. I just finished all TBR bio passages and they seemed much more focused on reinforcing content (which was great), but EK 101 definitely focuses more on critical thinking.

Reactions: 1 user
Dokte:

While I have not actually taken a look at the new 101 books [as yet], the 1001 series may be a bit outdate for the current exam. Sure, it will still help you to solidify content, but based on my understanding the 101 series has the charts, graphs and the experimental passages with all the jargon like the current (post 2015) MCAT exam. Therefore, if one had to purchase either resources (old 1001--mostly all discrete or new 101--mainly passages) at this time, he/she would be advise to go with the 101 series. Hence, while the old 1001 series may not be Obsolete for content re-enforcement it lacks the critical training require for the current version of the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you had to invest your time in 101 passages of the new EK biology and biomolecules or all of the TBR biology passages which resource would you choose and why?

I would pick EK because it better captures the reasoning of the real MCAT. With that said, TBR is solid stuff. At some point you just need to make a plan to commit to it. It's like working out. You can't change your program every week. You'll get better results from picking a good program and stick with it than you will from constantly adjusting in search of the perfect program.

the new 101 series? why did you choose that over 1001?

The EK 1001 series has no place in your study plan. It is all discrete questions, contains topics no longer on the MCAT, and omits other areas that are heavily tested. It was a poor resource for the old MCAT and is worthless for the new MCAT when you account for all the better resources that are available.

I would pick EK because it better captures the reasoning of the real MCAT. With that said, TBR is solid stuff. At some point you just need to make a plan to commit to it. It's like working out. You can't change your program every week. You'll get better results from picking a good program and stick with it than you will from constantly adjusting in search of the perfect program.
How much of the TBR passages did you complete? Just wondering if you can be more specific on which TBR passages might be better/worse than others i.e. Physics vs O Chem vs Bio1 or Bio2 etc.

How much of the TBR passages did you complete? Just wondering if you can be more specific on which TBR passages might be better/worse than others i.e. Physics vs O Chem vs Bio1 or Bio2 etc.

I'm sorry, I cannot be more specific. I worked through several TBR chapters before deciding against committing to it. I believe I did at least one chapter in each of bio, chem, and physics, but not organic chemistry. Also keep in mind that this was the beginning of my studies, whereas my exposure to the AAMC material and EK 101 was further along in the process. My experience is certainly not a perfect comparison between the two products and you shouldn't treat it as such.

If you're really torn by this decision, there is an easy solution. Just do a few passages from the SB, EK 101, and TBR and make up your own mind.

I really loved TBR's gen chem passages. They're great for helping you get used to heavy calculations. The physics passages were also decent.

Bio 2 passages were just okay, but EK 101 is superior by a long shot. Bio 1 was pretty meh. I completed a few passages and I didn't think they were worth my time. Can't say much about TBR's ochem passages since I didn't do any of them, but I've heard positive things about their new ochem books in general.