Externship questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gigantron

Robot
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After a lot of researching, I have an idea of where I'd like to do my residency. However, it is definitely considered a "top" program (at least by SDN standards). So I'd like to ask all of you on SDN podiatry about your experiences regarding scheduling clerkships.

I'm going to attend TUSPM this fall, and as I understand, they only give their students five months for clerking at potential residency programs (which I'm assuming is before interviews). How did you all go about deciding where to schedule your clerkships if your top choice might have been considered very competitive?

Did you end up with a list of top programs interspersed with programs that you figured you had a more "realistic" shot at? How do you even manage to get a decent list of residency programs to apply to (including programs you're interested in) if you can only extern at 5-7, and a good portion of them require you to extern in order to be considered?

My first year jitters are probably just getting the best of me, but I'm only asking because I'm really worried about not being competitive enough to have the chance to clerk at every single program I would ideally like to apply to (which in my case would be 20+ programs because I do not want to go unmatched).

Members don't see this ad.

My first year jitters are probably just getting the best of me
that is correct.

You should really be asking this question 2 years from now. Until then, work hard get good grades pass part 1. You will have plenty of time to think about the answers to your questions when the time is appropriate.

And keep an open mind about which programs you want to extern at. You're interests may change over the next 2 years and that may change which programs you're interested in. I changed my list of programs dozens of times between 1st year and actually applying

Every one is correct, you have tons of time to think this over. But in my mind I picked where I could see myself living at after I finish residency there. I dont want to say that there aren't certain programs out there that aren't a step above or ahead of the curve, but just because you may have not heard alot about a program doesn't meant that you will not get amazing training there. Think about those two things.. training offered and could you see yourself living there after residency and you will come up with a solid list!

Also, atleast at NYCPM, we have a book where past students will write reviews on all the programs they went to.. I would look into seeing if your school has that as well!