This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImmunoglobulinE

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am creating this post to see the reality of my goals and aspiration. I am currently a fourth year pharmacy student studying in the United state on F-1 visa (Yea I know what you're thinking good luck finding a job not another Visa sponsorship thread; well this is different) . I am strongly interested in working in the United states after I graduate but I know that will not be easy due to the downpour of new grads into a job market that is already super-saturated. As a result I don't want anybody commenting to remind me of that fact.

I know retail jobs are harder than ever to get, hospital jobs even with residencies are saturated and so on and so forth. However, I have decided to go the assistant professor route (clinical or research) as I think that a lot of people are not interested in that due to the minimum of two additional years of residency realistically in this case or maybe getting a PhD ( 4 years minimum), and also due to the lower pay on the short run.

So I have decided on doing a 2 year residency in an academic setting focused on drug information, pharmacoeconomics or outcome research with the hope of joining the faculty of any university after my residency is completed.The only problem is that I get only 1 year of OPT, as Pharm.D is not one of the coveted STEM major ( STEM majors get three years of OPT). So I would be at Limbo during my second year of residency. Are there any residency programs out there that are willing to sponsor you for a PGY2 if you make an early commitment? Also is there any F1 student currently going / have gone the academia route and can share experiences on how they maneuvered their situation? Please I don't need any negativity only positive comments. Sympathetic and Empathetic comments are welcomed as well :)

Members don't see this ad.

Would you consider it negativity if I gave you factual reasons why your plan is unlikely to work?

Would you consider it negativity if I gave you factual reasons why your plan is unlikely to work?

No I won't as long as it is done constructively. You input is welcome. I would appreciate it if you can offer alternatives I am really willing to move anywhere