facebook/myspace etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benkev68

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
aight . . . so been a lil paranoid bout this for a while, want the final answer . . . goin into m1 next year, and was wonderin if students ever get screwed because of wild facebook stuff or is that under the class of private/away from med skool stuff??? ehhh, question not spelled out tha well, but the question is in med skool do ya have to be cautious of facebook etc?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the answer is in life you have to be careful of anything you put on the internet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Greater than the majority of my class is on facebook, and I don't know of any ill effects of it. The greater liability there is the ability to tag photos of others. Despite the much more advanced privacy features on facebook, they pretty much hold you to your real name.

Myspace is different because you can set your profile up anonymously. Again, on the flip side, the lack of a tag feature means that your photo could be hidden from you on somebody else's page.

If I want to say something about faculty or administrators, it's not uncommon for me to post a facebook note for my friends in my class to read outside of big brother's radar. The mini-feed feature makes sure that the word gets spread quickly.

I personally don't think it's that big of a deal to network on facebook or myspace, but as has already been said, make sure that you are careful when the cameras of untrustworthy people are out.

if you have something you don't want people to find out, don't put it on the internet. some wordz of wisdom for yo azz.

aight . . . so been a lil paranoid bout this for a while, want the final answer . . . goin into m1 next year, and was wonderin if students ever get screwed because of wild facebook stuff or is that under the class of private/away from med skool stuff??? ehhh, question not spelled out tha well, but the question is in med skool do ya have to be cautious of facebook etc?

there are certain conventions of the english language and grammer that I would suggest you adopt and use in the future if you are going to want people to take you not only serious as a poster here, but also as a future physician.

You sound like an idiot, and if the way you sound is any idication of the what might be on your myspace, then I figure you deserve whatever you get.

So, leave all that stuff up! It's one thing to be silent and be thought a possible idiot, and entirely another to open your mouth and be known an idiot - with pictures on myspace to prove it. :thumbup:

there are certain conventions of the English language and grammar that I would suggest you adopt and use in the future if you are going to want people to take you not only serious as a poster here, but also as a future physician...It's one thing to be silent and be thought a possible idiot, and entirely another to open your mouth and be known an idiot...
Fixed it for you. :laugh:

Just make sure everything you do is legal.

Some groups on Facebook have caused meetings at a few med schools.

I ran it through my "text messaging has ruined my english language skills" program (patent pending)...

Okay, so I've been a little paranoid about this for a while, and would like to hear comments on this matter. I'm preparing to start my first year of medical school and was wondering if students ever ran afoul of conduct rules because of certain indiscretions posted on Facebook. Pardon me if the question is not entirely clear, but does one need to be cautious about items posted on Facebook or other such sites while in attendance at medical school?

spelling? whatever. :rolleyes: the point still stands smart guy . . .

u git me point bout skool, yo? i be soundin' stoopid! dats kool!

I suggest wrting a CS note like that . . . idiots

Yu mispeled too.

"grammer?" :laugh:

Yu mispeled too.

"grammer?" :laugh:

Mispelled sure, but I did not intentionally cause violence to the english language.

wut r u sayin yo? u not standin wut I sayin?

If you cannot notice the difference, there is a large chance you are also an idiot.

If the OP is starting at an allopathic school, I would generally imagine he's not in actuality an idiot on paper, and I would even imagine he didn't talk like an idiot at his interview (I wonder why? When you answer that question, you'll understand why it's important.) But types like an idiot and then remarks on worrying about publically displaying idiocy on his facebook . . . I can do the math. Can you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Narrator: In A.D. 2101, war was beginning.
Captain: What happen ?
Mechanic: Somebody set up us the bomb
Operator: We get signal.
Captain: What !
Operator: Main screen turn on.
Captain: It's you !!
CATS: How are you gentlemen !!
CATS: All your base are belong to us.
CATS: You are on the way to destruction.
Captain: What you say !!
CATS: You have no chance to survive make your time.
CATS: Ha Ha Ha Ha ....
(spoken in the Flash animation as Ha Ha Ha)
Operator: Captain !! *
Captain: Take off every 'Zig' !!
Captain: You know what you doing.
Captain: Move 'Zig'.
Captain: For great justice.

http://allyourbase.planettribes.gamespy.com/

ok, so the consensus seems to be 1. nothin illegal at all, 2. opinions of classes, prof. etc is ok, 3. better wordin when in med skool. Thanks for the help!

You mispelled too :laugh:

Happens, huh?

You don't suppose he may have been trying to make use of irony? That would be my guess. Yes, the OP has atrocious grammar, but I would suggest that you at least ensure that your own grammar and diction are up to par (at the very least in the post in which you're correcting someone else's) before you stick your foot in your mouth.

You don't suppose he may have been trying to make use of irony? That would be my guess. Yes, the OP has atrocious grammar, but I would suggest that you at least ensure that your own grammar and diction are up to par (at the very least in the post in which you're correcting someone else's) before you stick your foot in your mouth.

What is wrong you? I was commenting on the OP's intentional and agregious violence against the written english language, and you want to equate that to one minor spelling and one capitalization error? If you cannot see the main point, then wut kin a say, yo? dats jus da kinna G I be. u knowz a killa of dat word, yo. r u standin?

Idiot.

What is wrong you? I was commenting on the OP's intentional and agregious violence against the written english language, and you want to equate that to one minor spelling and one capitalization error? If you cannot see the main point, then wut kin a say, yo? dats jus da kinna G I be. u knowz a killa of dat word, yo. r u standin?

Idiot.

Dude, go have a drink and relax somewhere. Everything's going to be fine...

there are certain conventions of the english language and grammer that I would suggest you adopt and use in the future if you are going to want people to take you not only serious as a poster here, but also as a future physician.

You sound like an idiot, and if the way you sound is any idication of the what might be on your myspace, then I figure you deserve whatever you get.

So, leave all that stuff up! It's one thing to be silent and be thought a possible idiot, and entirely another to open your mouth and be known an idiot - with pictures on myspace to prove it. :thumbup:

What makes you think you are so special that you need to judge? The guy got into medical school. So obviously, he can compose words in a coherent form for a personal statement. Even good writers instant message or type like that just for kicks or whatever. You need to just chill out bro.

Idiot.
What is wrong with YOU that you decided to be an ass and start insulting everyone? Chill out. Don't be so anal retentive that you're playing 5th grade English teacher on the Internet. That was a pretty egregious error, by the way.

There are administrative people in schools who do apparently have enough time to browse these places to web sites, including SDN. Insert a rhetorical ask me how I know comment here.

Do not post anything on any of these sites which you would not want your school to know.

Our dean of students who compiles our deans letters has a facebook account and is on most of our friend lists, but then again we are in new orleans so a certain amount of wild behavior is socially acceptable here. . . a pic of our anatomy proffs in drag for mardi gras was placed into a powerpoint by a grad student as a spoof at one point too . ..

I just wanted to say that I was entertained by that entire exchange. What began as an innocuous boring post turned into an entertaining ride :laugh:. Thanks to all the participants.:thumbup:

If you are really paranoid just turn up your security settings on facebook so that no one can find you under a search and only friends can look at your profile.

If you are really paranoid just turn up your security settings on facebook so that no one can find you under a search and only friends can look at your profile.

Still doesn't negate the fact that other people can tag you in photos or, in many cases even worse, post pictures of you doing naughty things without tagging you at all.

Still doesn't negate the fact that other people can tag you in photos or, in many cases even worse, post pictures of you doing naughty things without tagging you at all.

Is that a cow or a horse, Labslave? Don't know as I've seen you over here much.

I agree that the tagging feature needs work. You should only be able to apply tags to your own friends. I've seen people with their names spelled incorrectly, i.e. the tag is not linked back to the person's page where he/she can remove it if desired.

Plus if people want to enjoy funny pics, we just send them to people with their privacy settings walled off so that the person in the pic can't see the photo anymore.

Unless you want to be the next Miss. USA or are having pictures taken of you doing illegal acts and then knowing someone dumb enough to post those, then facebook is relatively safe. Drinking pics/ Funny pics are there and we all have them, we are human not robots. I am pretty sure most schools know how thier students party after tests anyway.

Actually, if you've got your profile's privacy settings up so that you can ONLY view your profile if you become your friend, you can control who sees what about you. It's entirely up to you - they don't hack accounts as far as I'm aware; they're more concerned with the facade that you present to the world as a whole in this context.

So some girl who is in the M1 class had posted some of her modeling pictures on her facebook profile, one of which had a practically nothing there bikini (read: thin strips of fabric). Not that it caused some kind of uproar, but she was roasted on our school's parody news website with the picture for all to see.

Like dressing in drag, be careful what you make public. Maybe more importantly, be careful what you do in public.

So some girl who is in the M1 class had posted some of her modeling pictures on her facebook profile, one of which had a practically nothing there bikini (read: thin strips of fabric). Not that it caused some kind of uproar, but she was roasted on our school's parody news website with the picture for all to see.

Like dressing in drag, be careful what you make public. Maybe more importantly, be careful what you do in public.
Wow, that sucks! :laugh: link to the website?

if anyone tags you you can un-tag yourself.

Wow, that sucks! :laugh: link to the website?

Has been updated and is no longer there. It doesn't have archives sadly. I learned too from my friend who I will refer to as "the dish" that she has had breast augmentation. She is certain of it because she looked at her facebook pictures and saw high school cheerleading photos and then late college photos, and there was a bilaterally duplicated, encapsulated growth occuring post-pubertal. *ahem*

The pic was quite the news, but when you've got D's being covered by strips of cloth to hide your nipples, you make some news when it's posted on facebook.

Our dean of students definitely checks Facebook, as our class received an email a few months into MSI because a classmate had put some photoshopped pics of faculty up. There are precautions you can take, but nothing's perfect. Be smart, check your privacy settings, and always check on stuff that's tagged in your name. It's not that big of a deal.

i have pretty high restrictions on my fbook bc i dont trust my disloyal classmates

Understand two things:
1) What you are in Facebook reflects who you are in real life.

2) Regulation of your privacy settings is critical. Do not leave your account open to the network, and hope that your friends do not work for admissions committees with intentions to betray you.

Other than that, you should be good to go. On the other hand, who wants pictures of themselves inebriated or wildly out of control available on the Internet anyway - or taken at all?