This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PurposefulDoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year in one of the best Universities in Canada and throughout the course of several months, even before university started, I have been struggling with depression and my purpose in life. Due to my cynical and depressed state, I neglected my studies and managed to fail my first term this year, and now my last term for first year is wrapping up I am not hopeful of it being significantly better. I know I have what is takes to do well in university, as I thought I was repeating some of what I already learned in high school, but it will be a struggle to get out of the current situation I am already in.

Have anyone been through something similar and made it out of this hole?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are failing then that is a problem. You shouldn't continue with college if your mental health isn't in order. The courses just get more difficult with ochem and biochem.

I'm in the process of currently making it out of a similar hole. I failed my first semester of college, dropped out the 2nd due to severe social anxiety that magnified immensely in a college setting. I also had unrealistic expectations of how easy I thought college would be. I took a 4 year hiatus, worked in food service the entire time and got a leadership position. I completely became a different person then who I was during my freshman year, and started over fresh last year at a CC where I'm doing great now!

I can NOT recommend it enough, you need to take a break from college and get your depression under control before going back. There is no way that you will be able to be successful in school until you are in a good mental state.

Take the next semester off, take an entire year or longer off if you need too. Get yourself mentally in a good place, and then go back. I would not recommend going into next semester with the idea that it will be better, as it most likely won't until your mental health is better.

It's okay, I know it is hard to feel this way, but you can get past this! Taking a break from school to get your mental health in order does not mean that you are a failure, or that you have ruined your chance of becoming a doctor if that's what you want to do. You will have a harder path, but what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Take a break from school and address your issues. Get in therapy also talk to your professors and your school and explain the situation and your state of mind during the semester. See if you can't have your grades changed to Ws. You can't count on that but you've got nothing to lose by asking.

Have anyone been through something similar and made it out of this hole?

Yup. (Current MS2, but I remember college well.)

Taking time off is an option, but there are other options as well, such as deceleration, keeping your same schedule with proper support, etc.

PM me if you wanna chat about specifics.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I failed my first semester and most of my second semester of university. I am starting at a US MD school this fall.

My path was similar to what others have suggested. I left my university and started seeing a psychologist that summer. I continued to see him while I worked part time and took a 2-3 courses/semester at a local community college. By the time I started back up at university the next year, I had my mental health in order, had matured a bit, and had built a little confidence by getting A's at community college.

So to answer your underlying question: yes, you can dig your way out of this. Whatever you do, take care of your mental health. Good luck.