This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoctorX-men

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my very first time writing a thread on any online forum so please bare with me.
Just a little background, I am in my 2nd year in University and I have failed 3 of my courses. They are Statistics, a Biology class, and a History class. In addition, I'm only a 'C' student... I've always done well in High school but I fell soo much behind when I entered University. I don't know what to do anymore and I am very lost...
Should I just give up on my dreams of becoming a doctor someday?

Has anyone every failed some courses and still manage to get in? I really need someone to talk to and I just want some honest opinion. I know it'll hurt but I just want honesty.

Thank you all for taking your time to read this and I hope to hear from anyone soon.

Members don't see this ad.

How is your studying? Do you have a heavy course load? I'm sure if you do well in the upper level science courses and on the MCAT, they might be more forgiving towards the courses you failed.

Last edited:
Thank you for responding back to my question. My studying and work ethic is quite strong, I study and review everyday but I'm a terrible test-taker since I feel like I become paralyze during an exam and everything I learn goes out the window... My course load is quite fair, I have 4 classes and 3 of which have Labs once a week.
I haven't taken any upper level science courses yet and I plan on retaking these failed courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is your studying? Do you have a heavy course load? I'm sure if you do well in the upper level science courses and on the MCAT, they might be more forgiving towards the courses you failed.
Thank you for responding back to my question. My studying and work ethic is quite strong, I study and review everyday but I'm a terrible test-taker since I feel like I become paralyze during an exam and everything I learn goes out the window... My course load is quite fair, I have 4 classes and 3 of which have Labs once a week.
I haven't taken any upper level science courses yet and I plan on retaking these failed courses.

you need to go to your school's learning center.

your "studying and work ethic" are questionable at best, not strong. are you studying actively or just reading material? do you take practice tests or redo practice problems or just read the solutions?

Reactions: 1 user
you need to go to your school's learning center.

your "studying and work ethic" are questionable at best, not strong. are you studying actively or just reading material? do you take practice tests or redo practice problems or just read the solutions?
You're right... Maybe I do need to go to our learning centre and ask for their help. I often just find myself reading the book and material and when I do try the practice tests, I do tend to look at the answers when I'm unsure...

I do have a question for you though kb1900, it says in your status that you are a "Medical Student (Accepted)". Do you think I still stand a chance? I don't want to throw myself a pity party since that's not what I'm here for. I wanna keep on fighting but I just feel weak at the moment... Please reply, thank you!

You're right... Maybe I do need to go to our learning centre and ask for their help. I often just find myself reading the book and material and when I do try the practice tests, I do tend to look at the answers when I'm unsure...

I do have a question for you though kb1900, it says in your status that you are a "Medical Student (Accepted)". Do you think I still stand a chance? I don't want to throw myself a pity party since that's not what I'm here for. I wanna keep on fighting but I just feel weak at the moment... Please reply, thank you!
plenty of people get in after messing up 1 semester. but you have to more or less ace your coursework from here on out.

but switch to only actively studying whcih means always testing yourself, forcing yourself to write out answers to problems even if u looked up the question, redoing practice questions 2, 3 even 4 times.

anyone can sit around and read for 10 hours a day and never learn a single connect to the level of being able to apply it.

also the fact that you said you havent gone to the learning center already and that you described yourself as a "strong student" is slightly indicative of pride/ego holding you back. learn to swallow it because your only priority should be your GPA.

plenty of people get in after messing up 1 semester. but you have to more or less ace your coursework from here on out.

but switch to only actively studying whcih means always testing yourself, forcing yourself to write out answers to problems even if u looked up the question, redoing practice questions 2, 3 even 4 times.

anyone can sit around and read for 10 hours a day and never learn a single connect to the level of being able to apply it.

also the fact that you said you havent gone to the learning center already and that you described yourself as a "strong student" is slightly indicative of pride/ego holding you back. learn to swallow it because your only priority should be your GPA.
The truth does hurt... But you are right, I do feel as though my pride/ego has held me back all these times because I didn't think that I needed anyone's help...I though that I can do it all on my own. But as I said, I want to keep on going and keep on fighting. I just hope that the schools that I applied to sees that and recognize it. I'll have to learn how to focus more as well as start studying for the MCAT to show that I do have the capability. Thank you for replying back to me and helping me realize this. Best wishes to you!

You need to suspend your dreams of being a doctor, until you figure out how to learn how to learn.

Go to your schools education or Learning Center as soon as possible. They will help you.

Hi everyone,

This is my very first time writing a thread on any online forum so please bare with me.
Just a little background, I am in my 2nd year in University and I have failed 3 of my courses. They are Statistics, a Biology class, and a History class. In addition, I'm only a 'C' student... I've always done well in High school but I fell soo much behind when I entered University. I don't know what to do anymore and I am very lost...

Has anyone every failed some courses and still manage to get in? I really need someone to talk to and I just want some honest opinion. I know it'll hurt but I just want honesty.

Thank you all for taking your time to read this and I hope to hear from anyone soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

At this point, I would consider taking some time to learn what you're doing wrong with your approach to schooling and work the kinks out throughout the rest of your undergraduate career. If you're really serious about becoming a doctor, you have to do significantly better in your coursework. Don't worry about pre-med stuff right now until you get your study habits in order. Then, consider doing a post-bacc pre-med program. Just as a warning, you will be taking three or four of those courses at once if you choose this route, so it's not going to be easy. But, then again nothing about applying to medical school or medicine in general is easy. You have to work at it if you really want it.

If you need any tips on how to study, let me know. This is coming from someone who has gotten all A's (and one A- in Physics II) in my pre-med courses and additional science courses, including Biochemistry. I'm happy to help.

Also, NEVER assume that you're too good to go to a learning center. I had to go to the science learning center several times throughout undergrad just to understand certain concepts that I wasn't getting. Also, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! None of my grades came without some serious hard work.

Last edited:

Also, have you looked into accomodations for test-taking? Many universities allow students who have severe test anxiety and other problems to have extended time for test-taking.

You need to suspend your dreams of being a doctor, until you figure out how to learn how to learn.

Go to your schools education or Learning Center as soon as possible. They will help you.
Thank you and I will do that. I'm just in under so much stress right now because our school just passed a new policy that states that if we wanted to repeat ANY course then we will have to wait for 3 terms before we can repeat (which is essentially waiting for a year without the reconsideration of the spots available)... I really don't want to be an undergrad for 3 or more years... But anyway, thank you for replying back to me.

At this point, I would consider taking some time to learn what you're doing wrong with your approach to schooling and work the kinks out throughout the rest of your undergraduate career. If you're really serious about becoming a doctor, you have to do significantly better in your coursework. Don't worry about pre-med stuff right now until you get your study habits in order. Then, consider doing a post-bacc pre-med program. Just as a warning, you will be taking three or four of those courses at once if you choose this route, so it's not going to be easy. But, then again nothing about applying to medical school or medicine in general is easy. You have to work at it if you really want it.

If you need any tips on how to study, let me know. This is coming from someone who has gotten all A's (and one A- in Physics II) in my pre-med courses and additional science courses, including Biochemistry. I'm happy to help.
Thank you very much for offering your help to me! I would greatly appreciate any help that I can get, would you mind if I send you a pm? Please let me know and thank you for replying back to my post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, have you looked into accomodations for test-taking? Many universities allow students who have severe test anxiety and other problems to have extended time for test-taking.
I have, I've done some accommodations during my first year of University but I'm not sure if they will allow me to do it again. I don't want them to think that I'm just making things up and them ending up reporting me to the Dean... They once told me that this type of accommodation can be "cured" so that kinda scared me... btw, thank you for replying back to my question.

Thank you very much for offering your help to me! I would greatly appreciate any help that I can get, would you mind if I send you a pm? Please let me know and thank you for replying back to my post.
Sure thing!

You can retake at other schools, you know.

Thank you and I will do that. I'm just in under so much stress right now because our school just passed a new policy that states that if we wanted to repeat ANY course then we will have to wait for 3 terms before we can repeat (which is essentially waiting for a year without the reconsideration of the spots available)... I really don't want to be an undergrad for 3 or more years... But anyway, thank you for replying back to me.

You can retake at other schools, you know.
Really? I didn't know that! I was under the impression of once you go to a school then you take all of your courses there and there alone. However, I'm not so sure if this will work out since the only other school in our area is 2hours away from my current university...

Be resigned to the fact that you're in this for the long haul, and now this is a marathon, not a sprint. You might very well have to relocate. Are there any CCs in your area?

Really? I didn't know that! I was under the impression of once you go to a school then you take all of your courses there and there alone. However, I'm not so sure if this will work out since the only other school in our area is 2hours away from my current university...

Be resigned to the fact that you're in this for the long haul, and now this is a marathon, not a sprint. You might very well have to relocate. Are there any CCs in your area?
When your saying "CC's" Im assuming you mean Community Colleges. If so then Yes, there are some here! But will the courses in the CC's be recognize by a University standard? That's what I'm worried about...

The bias against CCs isn't as bad as SDNers make it out to be. If you're trying to avoid your UG school's weeding courses, then it looks bad. But for your retakes, it might fly. You'll need to invest in MSAR Online to see who accepts CC credit, and who doesn't. Even online coursework is OK by a number of schools.

When your saying "CC's" Im assuming you mean Community Colleges. If so then Yes, there are some here! But will the courses in the CC's be recognize by a University standard? That's what I'm worried about...

The bias against CCs isn't as bad as SDNers make it out to be. If you're trying to avoid your UG school's weeding courses, then it looks bad. But for your retakes, it might fly. You'll need to invest in MSAR Online to see who accepts CC credit, and who doesn't. Even online coursework is OK by a number of schools.
Ahh okay, thank you for clarifying it up. I will look into that.

This not the end of your journey but make sure you are doing everything you can to learn the material. I was in your place last year and I am happy to say I am doing better. I retook my classes and I am considering changing my major.

Also, NEVER assume that you're too good to go to a learning center. I had to go to the science learning center several times throughout undergrad just to understand certain concepts that I wasn't getting. Also, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! None of my grades came without some serious hard work.
Post your tips/study routine!

Why didn't you withdraw the classes if you knew you were failing? Also- if you retake and do well in upper level coursework, you should be fine, but you'd need a year of post bacc or maybe an SMP to raise the GPA.

I'm curious- how does a Med school know what a particular school's "weed out classes" are? At most schools, the weed out's for bio majors are both rounds of orgo, but that's not always true, it seems that some schools make freshman Bio I and weed out, or some upper level bio class is harder at that school, such as Biochem or Genetics ( the more challenging bio classes)

Orgo and physics are THE classic weed-out courses.

I'm curious- how does a Med school know what a particular school's "weed out classes" are? At most schools, the weed out's for bio majors are both rounds of orgo, but that's not always true, it seems that some schools make freshman Bio I and weed out, or some upper level bio class is harder at that school, such as Biochem or Genetics ( the more challenging bio classes)

Orgo and physics are THE classic weed-out courses.

How do adcoms view retakes in organic chemistry (ex: D+ to B+)? Is an A in a 3 unit ochem lab valued less than an A in lecture?

How do adcoms view retakes in organic chemistry (ex: D+ to B+)? Is an A in a 3 unit ochem lab valued less than an A in lecture?
I W'd orgo and am retaking ( basically the same thing except it won't lower my GPA) and my advisor said it was fine if you demonstrate that you can do well in it. I think Goro ( or some other SDN guru) commented that a retake is fine so long as you do well in it?

Doing well in any retake shows us that you now understand the material and hopefully have improved overall as a student. I don't think anyone gets so granular as to compare lecture + lab vs lecture only.