Failed my first exam. Feeling very demotivated.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoxo111

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I studied extremely hard and thought I’d get at least high 80s. I’m not sure how I feel because at this rate, I’ll probably finish the semester with passing barely.

Members don't see this ad.

You will fail more.

Learn how to study more efficiently.
Talk to the students who do well and see what you're missing: Attention span? Discipline? Pure amount of hours dedicated?

They are doing something you are not. Figure out what it is. Copy what they do. See if the results pay off.

The more time you spend moping and feeling sorry for yourself, the more time you waste. Get it off your chest. Accept it. Move on with a vengeance.

Reactions: 4 users
You will fail more.

Learn how to study more efficiently.
Talk to the students who do well and see what you're missing: Attention span? Discipline? Pure amount of hours dedicated?

They are doing something you are not. Figure out what it is. Copy what they do. See if the results pay off.

The more time you spend moping and feeling sorry for yourself, the more time you waste. Get it off your chest. Accept it. Move on with a vengeance.

It seems like lots of people failed. It was also the way the questions were worded. None of the stuff we were told important really came on the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like lots of people failed. It was also the way the questions were worded. None of the stuff we were told important really came on the exam.
Don't beat yourself about that. Weirdy summarized it well.

Figure it out and you will do fine. Find some assistance, talk to peers, try something different. Whatever works for you just stick to it.

There are ways to test yourself and see what you retained.

Reactions: 1 users
Now that you know the format and difficulty of the questions asked, tailor your studying accordingly. Always study from the lecture notes as this is where the questions will come from, not some outside resource (unless you need clarification, but even then don't get bogged down). I usually write down questions I think would be good TQs as I study and usually end up having about 30-50% of the TQs each exam.

Reactions: 3 users
A huge portion of our class failed that exam. Now we know what types of questions they create, so we can study for it more effectively. I also studied a lot and hoped to start with a solid B or even A, but I'm just going to focus on the exams we have next week.

Are you at nycpm by any chance?

Now that you know the format and difficulty of the questions asked, tailor your studying accordingly. Always study from the lecture notes as this is where the questions will come from, not some outside resource (unless you need clarification, but even then don't get bogged down). I usually write down questions I think would be good TQs as I study and usually end up having about 30-50% of the TQs each exam.

The thing is I don’t think most of the questions came from the lecture notes because those aren’t the ones I got wrong. The ones I got wrong were from the book (I think). Everything that was taught in class, I got them all right.

I also made my own questions, as Podstar stated above, and that helped immensely. For future exams, you may want to speak & seek help from faculty directly rather than students that have done well in previous semesters!

But don't be too upset, learn from the mistakes, adapt and move on to the next exam. This will all be secondary once you begin taking 2-3 exams per week :eek: (as we did at Scholl).

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, we're in the same class.

I think most of it came from the book, but I memorized the lectures (like everyone said to lol).

I didn’t know so many people failed since everyone seemed so calm after the exam review lol

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn’t be surprised if there were an unofficial policy / ritual of writing the first exam in such a way that many students fail. It’s a wake up call, gets everyone’s adrenaline going for the rest of the year, ensures greater loyalty to the program down the road.
It’s like in Fight Club when every prospective member is told to get off the porch.

I noticed that as well lmao

What's your plan for the next one?

Read the book more than the lecture notes. It’s like why do we even have to attend the lectures if they’re gonna take stuff from the book anyway lol

I didn’t know so many people failed since everyone seemed so calm after the exam review lol
Being calm is the right thing to do. Feeling demotivated, sad, panicking and such will not do any good.

I prefer to stay calm no matter how I did on the exam. Feelings will not help any after an exam. Bad feelings will only do harm. Stress is bad in many ways.

Try to utilize the upperclassman - I know there’s a few people that are really great. I’m assuming this was histo? Also you can try to get a tutor before the next test. I had a touch time in that class too but try not to get discouraged! Also don’t be afraid to send in EC forms to try to get q back

DONT LET IT CONSUME YOUR THOUGHTS.

I did. Ppl are gunners and make you feel bad. I let it get to me. All a’s one f. Second semester all f’s one a.

Please don’t do what I did (party and wing exams) and work harder.

I

Did you get dismissed from school for that. IDK how'd you could come back.