Failed Step 1 and Mediocre Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

startender

Reaction score
I'm in need of some advise. I go to a US med school, but failed my Step 1 (retook it and scored 230) and didn't do too well on Step 2 (passed but scored 225). Because of retaking Step 1, I'll have to do an extra semester (a couple courses to meet credits for graduation). I would like to apply to IM residencies, but also thinking of family medicine. Do I have a shot in IM? Also, anyone know of a good third-party consultant or advisor to talk to for things like this?

Members don't see this ad.

You still can do IM but you should cast a very wide net towards mostly community programs and won’t be able to be very picky with location.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in need of some advise. I go to a US med school, but failed my Step 1 (retook it and scored 230) and didn't do too well on Step 2 (passed but scored 225). Because of retaking Step 1, I'll have to do an extra semester (a couple courses to meet credits for graduation). I would like to apply to IM residencies, but also thinking of family medicine. Do I have a shot in IM? Also, anyone know of a good third-party consultant or advisor to talk to for things like this?
I agree with @bananafish94 and add this: "advice" is a noun, "advise" is a verb. (I considered writing "Your welcome" but was afraid the joke would go right over a lot of people's heads.)
brace-yourselves-the-grammar-police-is-here.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the banana above.

Apply broadly and to several programs. Also, how are your clinical grades? Those matter too. I also suggest doing an IM Sub-I early so you can have the (good) grade and possibly a good letter from it ready to go for app season. You should be able to match somewhere for IM, as long as there are no other red flags. Best of luck.

IM is possible but having FM as a back up is good plan B... Apply to 75 IM and 5o FM programs

Reactions: 1 user
You still can do IM but you should cast a very wide net towards mostly community programs and won’t be able to be very picky with location.
You know I heard that North Dakota needs doctors...;)

I bet ND has some like big secret city like Atlantis that nobody knows about and the people who end up going there love it
Lol I think the lack of people is probably it’s best asset. ( I only made the joke because it seems it’s an obligatory thing on this site and it was in reference to the PAs in ND thread. )

Related but slightly tangential question: where does pediatrics fall in competitiveness compared to IM or FM in the context of a failed step 1? I thought IM would be completely out of the question for applicants with a repeat step 1...

Related but slightly tangential question: where does pediatrics fall in competitiveness compared to IM or FM in the context of a failed step 1? I thought IM would be completely out of the question for applicants with a repeat step 1...

Not if youre applying to community programs in less desirable locations. IMs advantage is sheer number of programs.

if you are a USMD and can hustle some good LORs a community program is likely to take a chance on you. Out of the 3070 that applied only 59 failed to match.
upload_2018-12-17_14-19-23.png

There are many programs in IM.
Peds is a little less competitive to get into.

Agree with the banana above.

Apply broadly and to several programs. Also, how are your clinical grades? Those matter too. I also suggest doing an IM Sub-I early so you can have the (good) grade and possibly a good letter from it ready to go for app season. You should be able to match somewhere for IM, as long as there are no other red flags. Best of luck.

Thanks everyone for the *advice (lol, nice catch). And yes, the clinical grades is another concern for me. I only got a Pass for IM (Pass for Surgery as well), but got Honors for Primary Care (all other rotations are either High Pass or Honors). Evaluations for my IM rotation was top-notch though (I don't know if people actually look at the evaluations except maybe for any red flags). My Shelf for IM was not too good, which brought it down to a Pass. I have yet to do my IM Sub-I.

IM is possible but having FM as a back up is good plan B... Apply to 75 IM and 5o FM programs

Okay, but how would this work. Would I submit 2 personal statements and allocate different LoRs to different programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
bottom-tier IM and FM are doable. considering you use of "advise", I'd advise that you have someone read your personal statement when ERAS comes around. good luck

You can do IM if you go into FM. FM is so broad you can practically do anything with it.

You can do IM if you go into FM. FM is so broad you can practically do anything with it.
cant get IM fellowships though

Huh, what'd W19 do that finally earned him a ban?
Didn't see that.

That usually comes from ignoring warnings to stop doing stuff.

Pretty sure the guy was temp banned before and just continued with bad behavior. Interesting to see a gold donor and a verified physician account getting whacked by the ban though

Reactions: 2 users
bottom-tier IM and FM are doable. considering you use of "advise", I'd advise that you have someone read your personal statement when ERAS comes around. good luck

SAVAGE.

That hurt me in my soul!

Pretty sure the guy was temp banned before and just continued with bad behavior. Interesting to see a gold donor and a verified physician account getting whacked by the ban though
what sort of bad behavior did W19 do?

Users with multiple warnings (>10 in his case) yet continue TOS violating behavior may see their account removed.

In his case, it was egging on the midlevel discussion, continually bumping up the thread to foster arguments.