Failing Step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theanswer03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What happens if you fail step 2 of the NBPME exam? Can you start residency on time after passing, if you've been matched into a residency? What exactly happens?

Members don't see this ad.

What happens if you fail step 2 of the NBPME exam? Can you start residency on time after passing, if you've been matched into a residency? What exactly happens?

It depends on your state regulations ...
- in NY you dont have to pass any of them to get a license
- in PN you have to pass all three parts

It depends on what your residency wants/ director wants
-I know a resident whom failed boards II the first time, called his director and just retook in may and passed
- I know another resident whom failed it the first time, lost his spot, but scrambled into another spot.

So, if you r director is ok with it and state regulation allow it to get a limited license then ues you could start

the next step is to register and take the re exam on may 5
anyone feel free to correct me

Do you have any idea about AL? How can you find out the fastest? - Contacting the program director?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone else have any input as to what happens if someone fails step 2, but already matched with a residency program?

does anyone else have any input as to what happens if someone fails step 2, but already matched with a residency program?
You need to call your director immediately and not bury your head in the sand. If your state requires that you pass both parts you most likely will be unable to start the residency. Most programs can not sit around change the residency schedule and wait to see if you pass it next time.

You need to start calling programs in states that do not have that requirement. For your current program the sooner you call the better so they can advise you and possibly pick up another unmatched student

You need to call your director immediately and not bury your head in the sand. If your state requires that you pass both parts you most likely will be unable to start the residency. Most programs can not sit around change the residency schedule and wait to see if you pass it next time.

You need to start calling programs in states that do not have that requirement. For your current program the sooner you call the better so they can advise you and possibly pick up another unmatched student

What if you can retake step 2 and pass it before the residency starts? Retake is in early May, so you would be able to get your results by the end of May. Residency doesn't start until July 1st.

What if you can retake step 2 and pass it before the residency starts? Retake is in early May, so you would be able to get your results by the end of May. Residency doesn't start until July 1st.

It will be up to the director. He or she has a right to know. God forbid the student fails again. Schedules, rotations, and academics are not something that can be re-arranged quickly and take hours of work. If the student is a good candidate, I am sure the director will wait and see. The director may also start to work on a contigency in the event he/she fails again. Also remember getting a license, then a DEA, and credentialed takes time. Even if a candidate passes and is notified in early June obtaining the license etc in time for a July1 start may be hard,

Some directors may choose to select another resident. An empty position creates all kind of logistical and financial issues. Our program as done both depending on the student, the year, and how it was handled.

At any rate, study hard, retake the test, and I wish you luck!

It will be up to the director. He or she has a right to know. God forbid the student fails again. Schedules, rotations, and academics are not something that can be re-arranged quickly and take hours of work. If the student is a good candidate, I am sure the director will wait and see. The director may also start to work on a contigency in the event he/she fails again. Also remember getting a license, then a DEA, and credentialed takes time. Even if a candidate passes and is notified in early June obtaining the license etc in time for a July1 start may be hard,

Some directors may choose to select another resident. An empty position creates all kind of logistical and financial issues. Our program as done both depending on the student, the year, and how it was handled.

At any rate, study hard, retake the test, and I wish you luck!

Thanks I appreciate your input. It's actually not me I am seeking this information for, but the well wishes are very kind.

:thumbup:
Hurry up and sign up for the May exam, and study well.

As was mentioned, you have to call your director to let them know. A lot of them will be calling their residents to make sure they passed, but you should call them regardless. Tell them you will study harder and will sign up for the May testing.