MHA Fall 2017: Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anybody had an interview with UNC? Just had a couple of questions regarding the content of the interview, what they usually ask for and what they want to hear mostly?

Did you get an interview with UNC? If so, when did you hear from them & congrats :)

Members don't see this ad.

How long did they take to invite you to an interview? I submitted my applications in the middle of November and have heard back from all of my schools but VCU.
I submitted my application at the beginning of November, and I heard from them two weeks ago. It definitely took them awhile.

Can anyone enlighten me on Michigan HMP's Visit Day? It's separate from the interview so I can't tell how crucial it is to attend. Also, since their visit days are spread out between Feb and March, does that mean they hold off on making admission decisions until after their last visit day? On their website it says "the Visit Day serves a pivotal role in assisting both applicant and department in this crucial decision"...I'm from out of state so I'm trying to decide if paying $500 to fly over is worth it.
Fellow Bruin here! I actually attended the Visit Day last year and was admitted but deferred so I will be starting in Fall 2017. Last year they did in person interviews so Visit Day was mandatory. They mostly went over the structure of the program, had some mini classes, and a meet and greet with faculty and students. Flights from LA can be expensive, but it was worth it for me to figure out if I really wanted to live in Michigan for two years. Hopefully I will see you there in August!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
School: NC State Class of '15
GPA: 3.67
GRE: 157V, 148Q
Major: Business Admin
Currently a data analyst at a healthcare informatics company

2 years of internship experience within healthercare field

Applied: UNC & VCU

Interview: VCU (12/2) & UNC( offered 1/3 and declined)

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: VCU
Attending: VCU

Last edited:
Columbia interviews all applicants for the MHA program?

School: Medical School in India
GPA: WES GPA - 3.24
GRE: V-164 (94%), Q-160(78%), AW-5.5(98%)
Major:Medicine

Applied: Cornell(11/10), Rush(11/17), JHU(11/17), OSU(11/17), GW(11/17), UNC(11/22), Iowa(11/23), Columbia(11/23), UMich(11/23), Minnesota(11/23), UIC(11/23), SLU(11/24), Tulane(11/24), UWash(11/24)

Interview: Cornell(11/29), Iowa(12/15), Tulane(12/16) - declined, SLU(12/20), Columbia(12/28), UMich (01/11), OSU - declined to interview, JHU - declined to interview

Waitlist:
Rejected: GW(12/15)
Accepted:Cornell, Iowa, SLU
Attending:

Have you heard back from UNC??

I don't know how important it is to attend the visit day, but I'm an international student so I wrote to them explaining that it would be difficult for me to attend visit day in person. They said I could attend "virtual visit day" online. I'm still waiting for them to send me the sign up sheet for it, even though I've already had my interview. Maybe you could do virtual visit day as well, but I'm uncertain whether it negatively impacts your chances.
They gave me the option to attend a virtual visit day too. I guess we'll find out whether attending in person matters or not haha...thanks!

Fellow Bruin here! I actually attended the Visit Day last year and was admitted but deferred so I will be starting in Fall 2017. Last year they did in person interviews so Visit Day was mandatory. They mostly went over the structure of the program, had some mini classes, and a meet and greet with faculty and students. Flights from LA can be expensive, but it was worth it for me to figure out if I really wanted to live in Michigan for two years. Hopefully I will see you there in August!
You're very right, the cost of a flight isn't so important when you're deciding the next 2 years of your life! I just wish the visit day could be after you've gained acceptance, so there's no risk of the flight being a waste haha. Thanks for the input, hopefully I will see you there in August too!

School: NC State Class of '15
GPA: 3.67
GRE: 157V, 148Q
Major: Business Admin
Currently a data analyst at a healthcare informatics company

2 years of internship experience within healthercare field

Applied: UNC & VCU

Interview: VCU (12/2) & UNC( offered 1/3 and declined)

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: VCU
Attending:

How was the interview? What questions did they ask?

Accepted to Yale!!!:soexcited:

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I have the same question. They sent me an email in late november saying that the the application is being reviewed by the department and will send out decisions the first or second week of february.

I had an interview yesterday, but I'm still not sure if they interview everyone or not.

I have the same question. They sent me an email in late november saying that the the application is being reviewed by the department and will send out decisions the first or second week of february.

I was on the SOPHAS virtual fair and they did say that all applicants for MHA are interviewed

Does anybody know how these schools send out acceptance letters (specifically for JHU)? I was told that I would receive an acceptance letter via SOPHAS, but as far as I know, SOPHAS doesn't deal with acceptances.

Does anybody know how these schools send out acceptance letters (specifically for JHU)? I was told that I would receive an acceptance letter via SOPHAS, but as far as I know, SOPHAS doesn't deal with acceptances.
Usually emails to email address listed in SOPHAS or HAMPCAS

I went through the MHA threads on this site for the last 2 years and I read that a couple of people got accepted at Columbia without an interview. So I'm not entirely sure whether Columbia interviews all applicants. But most people probably have to interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you all send thank you emails after interviews?

School: Large State School
GPA: 3.65
GRE: 162V (90%), 164Q (87%), 5W (93%)
Major: Exercise Physiology
Currently a full time clinical research assistant at Hopkins School of Medicine (1.5 yrs)
2 years volunteer coaching Spec. Olympics
Hospital volunteering experience

Applied: UMD, PSU, Ohio State, JHU, Minnesota, GWU

Interview: Minnesota, JHU, VCU (declined), Ohio State, PSU (declined)

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: JHU, GW, Minnesota, Ohio State
Attending:

How were you notified that you were accepted to JHU? Did Teresa notify you before the acceptance letter was sent to you? And how did they send you the acceptance letter?

School: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
GPA: 3.88
GRE: 161V (88%) 160Q (76%) 4W (59%)
Major: Community Health conc. Health Planning and Administration

Just graduated in December 2016 (3.5 years), had 4 internships during the summers in hospitals, a little bit of volunteer work, and a few big leadership roles on campus.

Applied: Johns Hopkins, VCU, SLU, Minnesota

Interview: Johns Hopkins (1/10), Minnesota (1/23), SLU (1/27)

Rejected:
Accepted: Johns Hopkins, SLU
Attending: Most likely JH, waiting to hear from UMN

Last edited:
How were you notified that you were accepted to JHU? Did Teresa notify you before the acceptance letter was sent to you? And how did they send you the acceptance letter?

Teresa emailed me first and then I got some emails, but that was early on in the process.

Teresa emailed me a few days before I got my official acceptance letter over email from JHU. Her email:

" Although it may take a few days for SOPHAS to be updated, it's not too soon to congratulate you. You've been admitted to the MHA Class of 2019! Feel free to get back with any questions after you read your acceptance letter via SOPHAS. If you' d like to be connected with an alum or current student, please don't hesitate to ask.
Best,
Teresa"

How was the interview? What questions did they ask?
VCU interview was very reasonable. 2 sections, one was a writing piece & then a panel interview. Afterwards you have a chance to have lunch with some of the current students and tour campus. Good luck!

VCU interview was very reasonable. 2 sections, one was a writing piece & then a panel interview. Afterwards you have a chance to have lunch with some of the current students and tour campus. Good luck!

Do you know if most get admission offers the same day?

School: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
GPA: 3.88
GRE: 161V (88%) 160Q (76%) 4W (59%)
Major: Community Health conc. Health Planning and Administration

Just graduated in December 2016 (3.5 years), had 4 internships during the summers in hospitals, a little bit of volunteer work, and a few big leadership roles on campus.

Applied: Johns Hopkins, VCU, SLU, Minnesota

Interview: Johns Hopkins (1/10), Minnesota (1/23), SLU (1/27)

Rejected:
Accepted: Johns Hopkins
Attending: Most likely JH, but I will see how the other interviews go

How was your Minnesota interview? I have mine on 1/27.

School: UCLA
GPA: 3.51
GRE: Q: 157 V:157 AW: 4.5
Major: Biology

Applied: Minnesota, UW, U Michigan, JHU, UCLA (MPH in HPM), UC Berkeley (MPH in HPM), Columbia

Interview: JHU (1/10), Minnesota (1/27), U Michigan (2/19), Columbia
Accepted: JHU, Minnesota, U Michigan, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UW, Columbia
Rejected:

Last edited:
Invited to an interview with UF's MHA program on Feb. 3rd!

School: University of Central Florida
GPA: Cumulative - 3.68, Major: 4.00
GRE: Verbal - 157 (75%), Quantitative - 158 (70%), Writing - 4.0 (59%)
Major: Psychology

- President of Global Medical Brigades
- Studied abroad in Nicaragua
- Orientation leader
- 300+ hours volunteering at local hospital

Applied: JHU, Yale, UNC, USC, UF, UCF, USF
Interview: USC (Invited 1/17, scheduled for 1/20), UF (Invited 1/24, scheduled for 2/3)

Waitlist:
Rejected: JHU (12/14)
Accepted: USF (12/9), UCF (1/11), Yale (1/19)
Attending:
Any input on how USFs program is? I haven't had a chance to visit

I have been accepted to MUSC, GW, Pitt, USF and South Carolina. Anyone have any input on ranking the programs. Just looking for additional input prior to making the decision. Seems location and hospital system will play a huge part in my decision but haven't been able to get straight answers from USF about anything.

Has anyone heard from the University of Washington?

Has anyone heard from the University of Washington?

This week I got an email from them asking me to fill out the "Master of Health Administration: Applicant Questionnaire". I think this is a generic email sent to all applicants? Their website says they send out decisions in late February. I don't expect to hear from them before then.

This week I got an email from them asking me to fill out the "Master of Health Administration: Applicant Questionnaire". I think this is a generic email sent to all applicants? Their website says they send out decisions in late February. I don't expect to hear from them before then.

While speaking to another applicant interviewing at SLU, he informed me that he had been invited to interview at UW's Visit Day (which I thought UW says on their website is for their most competitive applicants).

Also, on a somewhat related note, my experience with the UW application process has been weird.

While speaking to another applicant interviewing at SLU, he informed me that he had been invited to interview at UW's Visit Day (which I thought UW says on their website is for their most competitive applicants).

Also, on a somewhat related note, my experience with the UW application process has been weird.

Oh, I didn't realise that UW had a visit day. Good to know! In what way has your experience with UW been weird?

Oh, I didn't realise that UW had a visit day. Good to know! In what way has your experience with UW been weird?

(1) Charged several times for the application fee. (2) Contacted multiple times by different people from the department who could not locate my GRE scores. (3) I had a question about my international transcript in August and it took them 3 weeks to answer me. (4) Finally, I have a friend who is currently doing his post-doc at UW from Italy. The coordinator for his program forgot to process the information required for his visa and delayed his start by 2 months.

Given the amount of administrative issues I've seen, makes me question getting a degree in administration from them.

(1) Charged several times for the application fee. (2) Contacted multiple times by different people from the department who could not locate my GRE scores. (3) I had a question about my international transcript in August and it took them 3 weeks to answer me. (4) Finally, I have a friend who is currently doing his post-doc at UW from Italy. The coordinator for his program forgot to process the information required for his visa and delayed his start by 2 months.

Given the amount of administrative issues I've seen, makes me question getting a degree in administration from them.
Omg. That's a pretty terrible experience so far. I loved your last line though. Haha. I'm not going to UW myself, but that's just because I want to go to one of the east coast schools.

All the best! :)

Do you know if most get admission offers the same day?

I think it really just depends on how confident they feel with your interview and background. I was given an acceptance letter on the spot, but I feel like part of that may also have had to do with the fact that it was early admissions. From my understanding, with the later interviews, the admissions team is more likely to hold out on decisions in order to see what the rest of the competition is like.

Has anybody heard from Minnesota about scholarships?

They said they'd let me know in January but I never did

Can anybody tell me about the interview process for University of Missouri? Thank you

Has anyone heard anything from UIC? I have yet to hear a word from them and I submitted back in November.

Would anyone be willing to take a look at my personal statement?

Unfortunately, no, not yet.

Have you been contacted at all from UNC? I submitted my application at the end of November, and I haven't received anything from them. Kind of frustrating. If I paid $85 for them to review my application, they can show me the decency to notify me of my status.

For those still in undergrad, did you send transcripts to update Fall grades?