MHA Fall 2017: Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those still in undergrad, did you send transcripts to update Fall grades?

I didn't, but mostly because I'd already heard back from the schools I had applied to and they didn't mention anything about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone get accepted to Michigan without going to visit day? I just received an email saying I was accepted.

Also, any advixe for picking between Michigan and Johns Hopkins?

Did anyone get accepted to Michigan without going to visit day? I just received an email saying I was accepted.

How was your Hopkins interview? I have the Skype interview next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can we have a discussion about the major differences between an MHA and MPH-HCM/HMP? I'm debating between SLU's MHA program and BU's MPH-HCM and wanted some insight as to why one may or may not be a better choice. For example, are both degrees seen as equals when applying for the same job? BU's HCM program is newly CAHME accredited so my thought process is leaning towards yes, but if anyone has any insight/info to offer that'd be much appreciated!! :)

-DELETED-

Last edited:

Congrats on the acceptance

I'd say a big point is that Hopkins is essentially 1 year (since you work your second year) which can be a huge motivating factor. You literally do like 10 months of class and then you're back into the working world.
Honestly though, they're both great schools and you'll be successful regardless where you go. Pick based on what's important to you (cost, fit, location, length of program). You really can't go wrong

Can we have a discussion about the major differences between an MHA and MPH-HCM/HMP? I'm debating between SLU's MHA program and BU's MPH-HCM and wanted some insight as to why one may or may not be a better choice. For example, are both degrees seen as equals when applying for the same job? BU's HCM program is newly CAHME accredited so my thought process is leaning towards yes, but if anyone has any insight/info to offer that'd be much appreciated!! :)

Plenty of schools use different names for essentially the same degree, but it's a common question people have. I'd look at where graduates end up for work and that should point you in the right direction. Also, you won't look dumb if you ask someone at BU what's different between their program and an MHA program, it's an honest question. That would probably help you more than anything.

Reactions: 1 user

I can very much understand where you are coming from. I too have been selected for SLU's MHA program with GRA, but in state tuition at UTHealth for a MPH-HCM (about to be CAHME accredited this year) is still cheaper.

I have been working in oil and gas for 10 years and this degree is a career change for me. As result, I have been doing some investigating, here is what I found:

From the head of Human Resources at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston:

"I hope you are doing well also. I appreciate your outreach regarding your master’s program. If you pursued a degree with a healthcare focus that really minimizes the interest from an employer prospective. I would probably recommend a MHA rather than a MPH. I think the MHA is more focused on the business side of healthcare. I don’t think any of our positions required one vs. the other.

Additionally, I walked around the hospital polling clinical business managers --- the result was if you want to move up, at least in this hospital, MHA/MBA is the way to go. With that said, this was for hospital management, which is what I want. Most of them told me, if I want to head up a non-profit, work in consulting, etc. --- they recommended I go with the MPH in HCM.

I also emailed a faculty member at UTHealth:

While there is a lot of overlap between the programs there are some clear differences. In the MHA you would get more Accounting and Finance, as well as Marketing. In the MPH program in HCM you get a broad exposure to population health through the MPH "core courses. We also believe our HCM program is stronger than most MHAs in the Quality arena. The MPH degree is also likely to be more attractive for consulting positions."

Hope this was helpful.

Reactions: 2 users
Received an email for invitation to UW MHA Visit Day!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard from UAB?

I am also in the same boat. I went to UAB as an undergrad and I applied really early in the application. I emailed them again on Monday and I have not heard anything back yet.

I am also in the same boat. I went to UAB as an undergrad and I applied really early in the application. I emailed them again on Monday and I have not heard anything back yet.

I interviewed there last Thursday so it's just a waiting game for me at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can very much understand where you are coming from. I too have been selected for SLU's MHA program with GRA, but in state tuition at UTHealth for a MPH-HCM (about to be CAHME accredited this year) is still cheaper.

I have been working in oil and gas for 10 years and this degree is a career change for me. As result, I have been doing some investigating, here is what I found:

From the head of Human Resources at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston:

"I hope you are doing well also. I appreciate your outreach regarding your master’s program. If you pursued a degree with a healthcare focus that really minimizes the interest from an employer prospective. I would probably recommend a MHA rather than a MPH. I think the MHA is more focused on the business side of healthcare. I don’t think any of our positions required one vs. the other.

Additionally, I walked around the hospital polling clinical business managers --- the result was if you want to move up, at least in this hospital, MHA/MBA is the way to go. With that said, this was for hospital management, which is what I want. Most of them told me, if I want to head up a non-profit, work in consulting, etc. --- they recommended I go with the MPH in HCM.

I also emailed a faculty member at UTHealth:

While there is a lot of overlap between the programs there are some clear differences. In the MHA you would get more Accounting and Finance, as well as Marketing. In the MPH program in HCM you get a broad exposure to population health through the MPH "core courses. We also believe our HCM program is stronger than most MHAs in the Quality arena. The MPH degree is also likely to be more attractive for consulting positions."

Hope this was helpful.

This was definitely very helpful! I'm also reaching out the BU as suggested by LetsGoO's above. Once I hear back from them, I'll be sure to update you on what they say! It's just so confusing because when I looked up different jobs graduates from each school went to upon graduation, they appeared to be fairly similar. Also, its interesting that you bring up consulting may slightly favor MPH because during my SLU MHA Visit Day interviews/conversations almost every person I spoke with was in consulting! :shrug:

On a side note, were you notified about your GRA with SLU during Visit Day? Or did you get that news in your mail?

Have you been contacted at all from UNC? I submitted my application at the end of November, and I haven't received anything from them. Kind of frustrating. If I paid $85 for them to review my application, they can show me the decency to notify me of my status.
Hi! I actually got an email from them yesterday. They said that they have put my application on hold - to review again in the next few weeks. Basically, I've been waitlisted.

Invited to an interview with UF's MHA program on Feb. 3rd!

Hey! Congratulations on your interview. I hope it was great! I was wondering if you'd be willing to share when you submitted your application for UF?

I applied early January and my last transcript and rec were received on the 18 and 17th respectively. Naturally I've been compulsively checking ever since. I was wondering if you could give me any info on how long the turn over is from submission to hearing from them (they send an email to invite you to interview, right?)

Hey! Congratulations on your interview. I hope it was great! I was wondering if you'd be willing to share when you submitted your application for UF?

I applied early January and my last transcript and rec were received on the 18 and 17th respectively. Naturally I've been compulsively checking ever since. I was wondering if you could give me any info on how long the turn over is from submission to hearing from them (they send an email to invite you to interview, right?)

Of course! I applied to UF on November 13th, however my last transcript wasn't received until January 6th. On January 18th I emailed Tamara Herchel (the Assistant MHA Program Director) to check on the status and she said that they began reviewing applications that week. Shortly after, I received the email to set up an interview on January 24th. Tamara has been tremendously helpful to me during the application process so if you have any questions at all I would definitely recommend emailing her ([email protected])!

How was your Hopkins interview? I have the Skype interview next week.
Best advice for Hopkins.. When you're talking with Teresa, bring up how the Maryland healthcare system is unique from others in the US (All-Payer Model). I brought this up (after reading it on one of these forums) and she was VERY impressed by that. It kind of set the tone for the rest of the interview, and I got accepted a few days later! Good luck! Let me know if you have other questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats!! I'll be there as well. :) When you RSVP'ed, did you receive confirmation that you filled out the survey? I was in a rush when I filled it out, so I'm not sure if I actually sent it in.. lol.

Thank you! Congrats to you as well! I didn't get any confirmation email after survey. There was actually a review button and then a submit button, so if you aren't sure you submitted it then you should email Maggie and make sure they got your RSVP.

Hi! Thought I might put in some info since I've mainly just been reading this thread

School: Small liberal arts school
GPA: 3.14
GRE: 163 Q, 162 V, 5.5 W
Major: Behavioral Neuroscience

Applied: JHU, UW, Columbia, BU Health Sector MBA, UNC
Interview: JHU (1/27) , UW (invite to visit day; not attending), Columbia (2/8), BU (1/26), UNC (2/27)

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: JHU (1/30), Columbia (2/15), BU with full scholarship (2/27), UNC (2/28)
Attending: JHU

Has anyone had the student interview with Columbia and do you have any tips?

Last edited:
Hi! Thought I might put in some info since I've mainly just been reading this thread

Applied: Columbia, JHU, UW, UNC Chapel Hill, BU Health Sector MBA
Interview: JHU (1/27) , UW (invite to visit day; not attending), Columbia (2/8), BU (1/26)

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: JHU (1/30)
Attending:

The student interview with Columbia is pretty standard. They asked the usual questions- why do you want to attend Columbia? Why the MHA program? What are your goals for the future?

All the best!

Applied: Columbia, JHU, UW, UNC Chapel Hill, BU Health Sector MBA
Interview: JHU (1/27) , UW (invite to visit day; not attending), Columbia (2/8), BU (1/26)

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: JHU (1/30)
Attending:

You should give me your UW Visit Day seat! haha I was offered an invitation to Visit Day, and one day later they retracted there statement, because they said they had overbooked. A really disappointing clerical error on their behalf. Here is hoping I can attend, because I would love to go to UW. Best of luck with the Columbia interview!

Has anyone else applied to Georgetown's MHSA program?

This was definitely very helpful! I'm also reaching out the BU as suggested by LetsGoO's above. Once I hear back from them, I'll be sure to update you on what they say! It's just so confusing because when I looked up different jobs graduates from each school went to upon graduation, they appeared to be fairly similar. Also, its interesting that you bring up consulting may slightly favor MPH because during my SLU MHA Visit Day interviews/conversations almost every person I spoke with was in consulting! :shrug:

On a side note, were you notified about your GRA with SLU during Visit Day? Or did you get that news in your mail?

SLU told me about the GRA during the Visit Day.

You should give me your UW Visit Day seat! haha I was offered an invitation to Visit Day, and one day later they retracted there statement, because they said they had overbooked. A really disappointing clerical error on their behalf. Here is hoping I can attend, because I would love to go to UW. Best of luck with the Columbia interview!

Wow! This is a horrible clerical error. What if you had already purchased a flight?!?

UW was at the top of my list, but the amount of administrative/clerical issues, as expressed in an earlier post, is leaving me with doubt.

Hope they are able to rectify this error, and you somehow manage to attend their visit day.

The student interview with Columbia is pretty standard. They asked the usual questions- why do you want to attend Columbia? Why the MHA program? What are your goals for the future?

All the best!

Thank you!!

Wow I'm so sorry!! That's such a horrible mistake for them to make :( Hopefully if some people RSVP and say they aren't attending you'll be able to go!

SLU told me about the GRA during the Visit Day.

Wow Congrats!! That's awesome news :)

So I just heard back about my question pertaining to MPH-HCM @ BU vs and MHA for anyone that may have a similar situation :

" I’m happy to clarify the difference between an MPH and MHA, although they aren’t large differences. Within an MHA, students study strictly business courses related to healthcare. Within our MPH with a Healthcare Management certificate, you’ll learn the broad foundational areas of public health through our core curriculum (epidemiology, biostatistics, environmental health, health policy, health law, etc) and then you would take healthcare business courses. The MPH gives a broader look at how healthcare administration works with all other areas of public health. As you mentioned, our Healthcare Management certificate is CAHME accredited, which is the body that accredits MHA degrees. So you are still graduating from a CAHME accredited program with our MPH. As far as job outlooks, graduates from our MPH with the Healthcare Management certificate would qualify for the same jobs as an MHA graduate."

Something similar happened to me. I received an email 2 hours later saying that the invitation was sent by mistake. :(

Something similar happened to me. I received an email 2 hours later saying that the invitation was sent by mistake. :(
Such a horrible mistake for them to make! I have been in contact with their assistant director and recruiting coordinator, and they refuse to let me attend Visit Day. Which is unfortunate, because I know that not everyone invited will attend, so there will be open seats. Oh well, best of luck on the waitlist!

School: University of Utah
GPA: 3.4 Cumulative, 3.55 Major
GRE: V-147, Q-152, AW-5
Major: Finance

Throughout my education I have been heavily involved in academic finance competitions, internships, volunteer work, and university clubs. Between my education and work experience, I will be applying to the programs listed below.

Applied: Minnesota (11/21), Michigan (12/5), UNC (12/5), VCU (11/21), Utah (11/14), Washington (1/12) , USC (12/14)
Interview: Utah (11/28, 12/12), Minnesota (1/9), VCU (1/20)
Waitlist:
Rejected: Michigan
Accepted: Utah (12/21)
Attending:

Have you heard back from VCU yet?

Exact same thing happened to me. They sent the invite to visit day and within a few hours they sent another email rescinding the invitation.

Just got accepted at Columbia for the MHA program! Anyone else planning on attending?

If I do, it will be March 3. You?

It's pretty unlikely that I'll be attending visit day since I'm an international student and I'm not in the US right now. But I'll be attending Columbia in the fall for sure!

Have you decided which program you'll be attending?

Congratulations! How long did it take you to hear back after your interview?

It took over a month. I interviewed on 12/29 and I heard from them today. I think Columbia sends out responses all at once - spread out over a week. At least, this is what I understood by reading through the MHA threads for the last two years.

All the best!

It's pretty unlikely that I'll be attending visit day since I'm an international student and I'm not in the US right now. But I'll be attending Columbia in the fall for sure!

Have you decided which program you'll be attending?

No, I haven't decided yet. However, without some type of scholarship, Columbia is unlikely in my horizon with a total cost of attendance over 2 years being $100,000+.

Has anyone heard back from Tulane yet? It's my top choice so I'm extremely nervous! I spoke to one of the staff recently and they told me each MHA class is only about 20 students which makes me think it's super competitive.

School: Medium Private School
GPA: 3.68
GRE: 160 V 161 Q 4W
Major: health management
Minors: public health and biology

Applied: Minnesota, Michigan, UNC, Rush

Interview: Minnesota (1/13) , Michigan (1/31, visit day 2/10), UNC (declined)

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Minnesota (1/18), Michigan (2/09)
Attending:

Anyone else still waiting to hear back from Columbia?

Congrats on the acceptance

I'd say a big point is that Hopkins is essentially 1 year (since you work your second year) which can be a huge motivating factor. You literally do like 10 months of class and then you're back into the working world.
Honestly though, they're both great schools and you'll be successful regardless where you go. Pick based on what's important to you (cost, fit, location, length of program). You really can't go wrong

Thanks--JHU is so enticing because of the cost and the year of work, but I went to a big public school and I know I would probably like the Michigan & Ann Arbor environment better... not sure it's worth the 20k difference though...

Does anybody have thoughts on consulting vs. hospital admin? Which is easier to cross over from one to the other? And which school would be better for either?

Thanks--JHU is so enticing because of the cost and the year of work, but I went to a big public school and I know I would probably like the Michigan & Ann Arbor environment better... not sure it's worth the 20k difference though...

Does anybody have thoughts on consulting vs. hospital admin? Which is easier to cross over from one to the other? And which school would be better for either?

I'm in the same boat, I'd love to go to Minnesota but I gotta justify the cost of an extra year out of work.

And I guess you're best off looking at job placement lists to determine which is better for consulting vs. hospital admin. I've been told the two are pretty easy to switch in between though during your career. It's not uncommon to change career goals especially in such a broad field.

Has anyone attended a Michigan Visit Day? Mine is coming up next week, and I was wondering if someone could tell me what it's like.

Has anyone attended a Michigan Visit Day? Mine is coming up next week, and I was wondering if someone could tell me what it's like.

I just had mine this past Friday! It was a super laid back event where you got to hear from professors and students about the program, life in Ann Arbor, etc. There was also a short lecture/group activity after lunch but nothing to be worried about. Overall, the event was more for you to get a feel for the program and the people and get answers to any questions you may have.

First acceptance! USF w/ an invitation for a Graduate Assistantship!
Congrats! I applied to USF early January and received the "Under Review" email on January 27th and was just wondering, did USF have an interview before sending you the acceptance letter?

Edit: Received my rejection letter from USF just today actually so never mind :(

Last edited: