MHA Fall 2017: Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received information about the Columbia visit days? All the information I received was from the admissions letter saying that more info about visit days will come later. I was planning on attending the 3/31 visit day but might not anymore since I haven't gotten any information about it and Columbia isn't really a top choice for me anymore.

Members don't see this ad.

School: University of Texas at San Antonio
GPA: 3.57
GRE: 149 Verbal, 149 Quant, 4.0 Writing
Major: Public Health

Applied: Trinity University, Incarnate Word University, Georgetown University, George Washington University, NYU Wagner
Interview: Trinity (2/6), Incarnate Word (1/20), George Washington (12/16)

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Trinity University (3/7), Incarnate Word University (2/9), Georgetown University (1/12), George Washington University (12/22), NYU Wagner (3/7)
Attending: Georgetown University

Last edited:
Hi! I'm new to this forum . I will be attending Georgetown too. Do let me know if you decide to come there.
My stats are:
GPA: 3.72 (as calculated by WES)
GRE: V-157 Q-170
Undergrad: MBBS from India
Applied: UofMichigan, Rush, Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, USC, NYU
Accepted: Michigan, Georgetown (with ~40% departmental scholarship) , Columbia, USC (with 50% dean's merit scholarship)
Rejected: Hopkins
Attending : Mostly Georgetown
Why are you deciding on georgetown if you mind me asking? Michigan is a great school for health administration. I've been admitted to georgetown as well and currently trying to decide, so I'm just curious about your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone attending Minn and possibly looking for a roommate? Not 100% sure if that's where I'm heading still considering, but leaning heavily.

School: UT Austin
GPA: 3.387
GRE: V- 156 (72%), Q- 157 (67%), AW- 4 (59%)
Major: Public Health w/ concentration in Health Policy & Management
Minor: Business

Applied: JHU, Columbia, USC, Trinity, Georgetown
Interview: JHU (1/10), Columbia (1/17), Trinity (2/2)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: JHU, Columbia, Trinity, Georgetown, USC
Attending:
hey do you know where you're attending? Curious because I'm currently deciding between georgetown and trinity as well!

Why are you deciding on georgetown if you mind me asking? Michigan is a great school for health administration. I've been admitted to georgetown as well and currently trying to decide, so I'm just curious about your thoughts!
Hi, so for me location was one of my main reasons to not attend Michigan, was always leaning toward the east coast. Also with the scholarship at Georgetown & its association with MedStar Georgetown hospital I preferred it over Michigan.

Reactions: 1 user
hey do you know where you're attending? Curious because I'm currently deciding between georgetown and trinity as well!

I haven't committed anywhere yet. I don't think I will be attending Trinity though. I'm leaning towards Hopkins right now

Did anyone attend JHU's Admitted Students Day?

Anything in particular stand out? Anyone decide to attend based on what they saw today? Thanks!

Hi, so for me location was one of my main reasons to not attend Michigan, was always leaning toward the east coast. Also with the scholarship at Georgetown & its association with MedStar Georgetown hospital I preferred it over Michigan.

I am currently deciding between Michigan and Georgetown (and GWU) as well, but I am learning towards Georgetown because of the scholarship and location as well.

I am currently deciding between Michigan and Georgetown (and GWU) as well, but I am learning towards Georgetown because of the scholarship and location as well.
Did you receive scholarship notice regarding UMich? Are you HMP?

Did you receive scholarship notice regarding UMich? Are you HMP?

Yes, I'm HMP - MHSA. I did not receive a notice yet. My friend who got into their MPH program got a 75% scholarship last week so hopefully we'll hear about it soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
School: UC School
GPA: Cum-2.74 (Yes, I know low GPA)
GRE: 153 V 152Q 4AW
Major: Public Health Sciences
-Assistant at an Pharmacy Management and Consulting Company
-1.5+ yrs Clinical Research Coordinator at a UC Medical Center
- 5 classes at Community college after graduation
Applied: GWU, USC, Cornell, Baylor, NYU, Columbia, U Mich, U Minn, Xavier, Trinity

Interview: Cornell (10/19), Xavier (10/24), Baylor (11/7), Trinity (Declined), GWU (12/12)

Waitlist:
Rejected: U Minn, U Mich, Columbia
Accepted: Cornell, Xavier, Baylor, GWU, USC, NYU

Attending:

That is amazing. In your interviews did they ask about your GPA or avoid it completely?

UPDATE!
---
Hey everyone!

I am brand new to the forum and just read through all of your responses. I applied to eight schools and am waiting to hear back from one. I am currently debating between Cornell, USC, Boston, and NYU as my choice for Fall 2017. I would love to hear from anyone that can provide any advice and/or info as to why they chose or didn't choose one or all four of these schools. Thanks in advance for the help.

I love the program at Carnegie Mellon but without a substantial scholarship the cost would be too high.

School: Small Big East School
GPA: 3.05/4.0
GRE: 157V 152Q 4AW
Major: Exercise Physiology

Applied: Suffolk, Mizzou, Carnegie Mellon, NYU (MPA), Emory (MPH - HPM), Boston (MBA - HSM), Cornell, and USC

Interview: Mizzou, Boston, and Cornell

Waiting to hear from: Carnegie Mellon

Accepted: Suffolk (Scholarship), Mizzou (Scholarship), Emory (Scholarship), Boston (Scholarship), Cornell (Small Scholarship), USC (Scholarship), NYU (1/2 T Scholarship)

Attending: Could use some insight into Cornell, USC, Boston, and NYU to help make my decision.

Was recently admitted to NYU with a large scholarship which has made this decision even tougher. Would love to talk to someone about the four schools above.

Hello,
I am just curious. When did you apply? I have similar stats and I applied to a couple of the same programs.

School: Drexel
GPA: 2.85
GRE: V- 148, Q- 153, AW- 4.5
Major: Health Sciences
Minor: Health Service Administration
A lot of extra-curriculars and 2 years of work experience.
Applied: Carneige Mellon, Tulane, UF, Memphis, UIC, UPitt, UNT, Boston
Interview: Tulane, UF, Memphia
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

I everything in within the past 2 weeks but I am nervous about the process since my GPA is low. Please provide suggestions for other schools I can apply to that will accept me or suggestions for interviews

Undergrad School: Hofstra University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.95 (SOPHAS, Engineering major in my lower class semesters :x)
Major/Minor: Community Health
GRE (including date taken): (8/2016) V: 157 (75%) Q: 144 (17%) AW: 3.5 (42%)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- 100 hours of volunteering at local hospital
- Over 250 hours of volunteering at local community center

Applied:
OSU (MHA, 12/19), Hofstra (MHA, 12/14), UF (MHA, 1/5), USF (MPH, 1/27), GWU (MPH, 2/1), FIU (MPH, 2/1)
Accepted: Hofstra, FIU
Rejected: USF, GWU
Waitlisted:

I see people have gotten interviews with UF, they're my top school and I'm still waiting for something :(

School: University of Texas at San Antonio
GPA: 3.57
GRE: 149 Verbal, 149 Quant, 4.0 Writing
Major: Public Health

Applied: Trinity University, Incarnate Word University, Georgetown University, George Washington University, NYU Wagner
Interview: Trinity (2/6), Incarnate Word (1/20), George Washington (12/16)

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Trinity University (3/7), Incarnate Word University (2/9), Georgetown University (1/12), George Washington University (12/22), NYU Wagner (3/7)
Attending: ???

***Advice from anyone who has valuable input needed
I am from San Antonio, lived here all my life, so deciding on whether to attend Trinity, which is here in SA and also a very reputable program, or to attend one of the D.C. schools and gain valuable experience in policy and the experience of living in another part of the country.

Pros & Cons:

Trinity:
PRO- is ranked #10, 4 semesters of academic work, paid residency, large alumni base
CON- Here in SA, 3 year program, no scholarship as of yet

Georgetown
PRO- In D.C which is great for getting involved with policy and healthcare on the national level, received a generous scholarship, only a one year program so I can enter the workforce quickly, reputable school, great name recognition, ranked #22
CON- No residency, accelerated program makes me wonder if I'll learn what I need to learn in the time allotted, fairly new program, ranked 12 below Trinity

George Washington
PRO- In D.C which is great for getting involved with policy and healthcare on the national level, old and established program, large alumni base, includes a residency, ranked #16
CON- 3 year program, no scholarship as of yet, ranked 6 below trinity

Hi! I applied for Georgetown as well, I wanted to know how long it took for them to get back to you? and how did you find out your admission?

School: Drexel
GPA: 2.85
GRE: V- 148, Q- 153, AW- 4.5
Major: Health Sciences
Minor: Health Service Administration
A lot of extra-curriculars and 2 years of work experience.
Applied: Carneige Mellon, Tulane, UF, Memphis, UIC, UPitt, UNT, Boston
Interview: Tulane, UF, Memphia
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

I everything in within the past 2 weeks but I am nervous about the process since my GPA is low. Please provide suggestions for other schools I can apply to that will accept me or suggestions for interviews

Try to show your personality during the interview! Almost all of my interviews have been very casual, so it's easy to be easygoing and not so stiff when you're answering questions. Make sure you research particular aspects about the school, such as curriculum and internship experience, so you can give a solid answer as to why you want to attend that school. Also, prepare a good amount of questions for the interviewer, especially some that are specific to the school, because it shows that you've done your research. Just remember that you've already gotten an interview, so there's a good chance you're going to get in. Just try to be professional yet relaxed, so they will be able to tell if you'll be a good fit with their school as well.

Hello,
I am just curious. When did you apply? I have similar stats and I applied to a couple of the same programs.

Hey,

I applied to Boston back in October, I applied in their first deadline. For USC, NYU, Emory and Carnegie Mellon all my applications were in by the first week of January. Suffolk and Mizzou were done in late January. Cornell was my last application. I applied in February. Let me know if that helps!

Feel free to send me a PM if you need further information.

That is amazing. In your interviews did they ask about your GPA or avoid it completely?
They asked about it and I explained my experience. My work experience and trajectory were things I pushed more on during my interviews and essays

Hey,

I applied to Boston back in October, I applied in their first deadline. For USC, NYU, Emory and Carnegie Mellon all my applications were in by the first week of January. Suffolk and Mizzou were done in late January. Cornell was my last application. I applied in February. Let me know if that helps!

Feel free to send me a PM if you need further information.

Seeing the programs you applied to are you looking more for policy than management? I don't think Emory or Carnegie Mellon have MHA programs.

School: NC State Class of '15
GPA: 3.67
GRE: 157V, 148Q
Major: Business Admin
Currently a data analyst at a healthcare informatics company

2 years of internship experience within healthercare field

Applied: UNC & VCU

Interview: VCU (12/2) & UNC( offered 1/3 and declined)

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: VCU
Attending: VCU

Did you get in-state tuition or some type of scholarship?

Seeing the programs you applied to are you looking more for policy than management? I don't think Emory or Carnegie Mellon have MHA programs.

Emory is an MPH with HPM.
Carnegie Mellon has an MS in HPM.

There's a lot of diversity when it comes to healthcare management degrees.

Anyone deciding between Hopkins and Michigan, and leaning a certain way? If so, why?

For anyone thinking about attending Columbia: does its low ranking in HPM matter to you? Right now, I'm choosing between Hopkins and UNC (which are ranked #6 and #5, respectively in HPM), but Columbia has always been a dream school of mine. I would love to attend but it's ranked #22, and that's a big deterrent for me. I'm still going to visit day on March 31 but was just wondering what other people think?

For anyone thinking about attending Columbia: does its low ranking in HPM matter to you? Right now, I'm choosing between Hopkins and UNC (which are ranked #6 and #5, respectively in HPM), but Columbia has always been a dream school of mine. I would love to attend but it's ranked #22, and that's a big deterrent for me. I'm still going to visit day on March 31 but was just wondering what other people think?

Those rankings are far from concrete. I live in Maryland and know a few ppl in hospital administration here and they highly recommended George Washington over Hopkins based on graduates they've recruited out of both schools.

Those rankings are far from concrete. I live in Maryland and know a few ppl in hospital administration here and they highly recommended George Washington over Hopkins based on graduates they've recruited out of both schools.
Yeah I would agree with Let'sGoO. Don't base your decision strictly off of ranking. The bulk of rankings (USnews report) is based on advisor reviews of other programs, which means the rankings don't really mean anything. I would look at the program and ask myself: Would I be proud to call myself an alumni of that school? How well is the program placement rates, and where to people get hired? How strong is the alumni network? And, is it somewhere that I would enjoy living for awhile?

If your desired program can answer those questions, then it doesn't matter what ranking they are. Because 10 years from now, no one will really care where you got your degree from, rather, if you can perform in your job. Best of luck.

Nope! The rankings don't matter to me at all. I chose Columbia over other better ranked programs because it's graduates match into jobs that I want, the program itself is supposed to be incredible and as an ivy league school it has better name recognition than a lot of better ranked schools. Also, it's in NYC which is where I want to be and it has an amazing alumni network.

Everyone I've ever discussed the rankings with say they don't matter at all. I haven't taken them into consideration at all.

Does anybody have any insight on the USC MHA Program?

Thanks~

Reactions: 2 users
Does anybody have any insight on the USC MHA Program?

Thanks~
Southern California? I was admitted there, and have been impressed so far. They have great information on their website and are very helpful when you call them. Their program structure is really unique, the required residency is awesome, and their alumni network in So. Cal and the bay area is incredible. What other insight are you looking for?

Yeah I would agree with Let'sGoO. Don't base your decision strictly off of ranking. The bulk of rankings (USnews report) is based on advisor reviews of other programs, which means the rankings don't really mean anything. I would look at the program and ask myself: Would I be proud to call myself an alumni of that school? How well is the program placement rates, and where to people get hired? How strong is the alumni network? And, is it somewhere that I would enjoy living for awhile?

If your desired program can answer those questions, then it doesn't matter what ranking they are. Because 10 years from now, no one will really care where you got your degree from, rather, if you can perform in your job. Best of luck.
Nope! The rankings don't matter to me at all. I chose Columbia over other better ranked programs because it's graduates match into jobs that I want, the program itself is supposed to be incredible and as an ivy league school it has better name recognition than a lot of better ranked schools. Also, it's in NYC which is where I want to be and it has an amazing alumni network.

Everyone I've ever discussed the rankings with say they don't matter at all. I haven't taken them into consideration at all.

Thank you all for your input!! I've definitely heard that rankings don't really matter, but for whatever reason it's hard for me to get past them. Also, I really loved UNC and would go there in a heartbeat except for the fact that Hopkins and Columbia have much better name recognition. Guess I'll have to wait for my visits to Columbia and Hopkins, so I can get a better feel of the campus/students there and then make a more informed decision.

Did anyone hear from Columbia about financial aid today? A few people on the MPH thread posted that they got their offers of fin aid today. I haven't heard from them yet tho!

Did anyone hear from Columbia about financial aid today? A few people on the MPH thread posted that they got their offers of fin aid today. I haven't heard from them yet tho!

I haven't but I also got accepted late.

Hello,

Has anyone interviewed at Baylor? If so, how was your experience? I am heading down there on April to check out the program and would like to hear from someone who has interviewed there.

Hi! I applied for Georgetown as well, I wanted to know how long it took for them to get back to you? and how did you find out your admission?

I completed my application and KIRA interview on Dec. 16th and I received my admission notice on Jan. 12th. And the email you should receive is just informing you that a decision has been made. In order to view the official letter, you log into your application portal! When did you complete yours? And where else are you applying to if you mind me asking.

Anyone deciding between Cornell, USC and UW?
Also, for those admitted by Cornell, how long did you take to receive the Welcome Packet after received the email offer letter? It's been a week after I received the admit notice, but I haven't received the Welcome Packet, which makes me nervous since the final deadline to pay the fee is April 10th....

I know they all have strong alumni networks, but if you were to rank Minnesota, VCU, and OSU what would be your order? I know everyone will have different opinions on who's better, but that's what I'm looking for. I want to see what the majority of people on here say. Thanks!

Anyone deciding between Cornell, USC and UW?
Also, for those admitted by Cornell, how long did you take to receive the Welcome Packet after received the email offer letter? It's been a week after I received the admit notice, but I haven't received the Welcome Packet, which makes me nervous since the final deadline to pay the fee is April 10th....

I was admitted to Cornell in December, and I still haven't received any welcome packet. I don't think they send one? But then again, I'm an international student so maybe that's why they haven't sent one?

I'm pretty sure the welcome packet or lack thereof doesn't mean anything. If you've got the admission letter then that's all that matters.

I was admitted to Cornell in December, and I still haven't received any welcome packet. I don't think they send one? But then again, I'm an international student so maybe that's why they haven't sent one?

I'm pretty sure the welcome packet or lack thereof doesn't mean anything. If you've got the admission letter then that's all that matters.

Then how did you pay your deposit? It states in the offer letter that the Welcome Packet includes response form that has to be returned to Cornell with the deposit. I just wanna pay the deposit to secure the spot (T_T)

Then how did you pay your deposit? It states in the offer letter that the Welcome Packet includes response form that has to be returned to Cornell with the deposit. I just wanna pay the deposit to secure the spot (T_T)

In the admission email there was an attachment - a PDF copy of the 'sloan program response to admission offer form'. I just printed that form out, filled it up and sent it back to Cornell by courier, along with a cheque for the deposit.

And my bad, I totally forgot, I did recieve a hard copy of the offer letter and this form in the mail, but since I'm an international student, it took a long time to get here - almost 3 weeks after I received the decision via email. Sorry for the confusion! Hope this helps now.

Anyone know how hard it is to get into USC(Southern CA)? I applied there but havent heard back yet but I wanted to know if anyone really knew how many people they accept and how competitive it is to get in. That is my top school so Im really nervous lol

In the admission email there was an attachment - a PDF copy of the 'sloan program response to admission offer form'. I just printed that form out, filled it up and sent it back to Cornell by courier, along with a cheque for the deposit.

And my bad, I totally forgot, I did recieve a hard copy of the offer letter and this form in the mail, but since I'm an international student, it took a long time to get here - almost 3 weeks after I received the decision via email. Sorry for the confusion! Hope this helps now.
WHHAAAAT!!My offer only contains one page, which does not have any form..... I guess I need to contact them... And did you submit your financial statement and if yes, to whom? I am an international student as well, and they haven't asked me for the financial statement yet.

Hey there, I got the package from Cornell about a week after my admission email. Don't worry I'm sure yours will come in soon.
And yes, the response form was enclosed in there but if you are nervous, maybe you can ask them directly for the digital version of the form that you can print out yourself?
My deadline was March 15th but since yours is April 10th you still got time.

Anyone know how hard it is to get into USC(Southern CA)? I applied there but havent heard back yet but I wanted to know if anyone really knew how many people they accept and how competitive it is to get in. That is my top school so Im really nervous lol
There were 62 new students 2015.
I submitted my application on Feb 15 and heard back from them on March 17.
My stats:
Cum GPA 3.49 Major GPA 4.0
GRE V 157 Q 166 W 3.5
Several Volunteer experience and 8 months administrative experience at County of San Diego, HHSA.

Hey there, I got the package from Cornell about a week after my admission email. Don't worry I'm sure yours will come in soon.
And yes, the response form was enclosed in there but if you are nervous, maybe you can ask them directly for the digital version of the form that you can print out yourself?
My deadline was March 15th but since yours is April 10th you still got time.

Thank you Thank you!!!
Are you going to attend Cornell?

Southern California? I was admitted there, and have been impressed so far. They have great information on their website and are very helpful when you call them. Their program structure is really unique, the required residency is awesome, and their alumni network in So. Cal and the bay area is incredible. What other insight are you looking for?
Yes, the University of Southern California. Thank you.
I had a hard time trying to find information about their cohorts and stuff. When I emailed one of the student services advisor she had confused me. She said that residencies can be out of state, but you needed to take an additional 2-3 class during your residency on-campus. Furthermore, she had said that on average you would be in class 13.5 hours a week? Which doesn't seem like a lot considering this is a master's program.