MHA Fall 2017: Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anybody tell me about the interview process for Cornell? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I spoke with someone at USC yesterday, and they mentioned that some of the MHA applicants would be notified sometime this week. So, best of luck and let me know if you hear anything!
Did you have interview with USC?

Can anybody tell me about the interview process for Cornell? Thanks!!

The interview with Cornell was quite thorough. I was interviewed by Prof Carmalt, who is very sweet. But she asked a ton of questions. If she's interviewing you be prepared for some behavioral questions eg. Give an example of a failure in your life? How do you deal with stressful situations? What kind of team leader will you be?

In addition, she asked the usual questions- why MHA? Why the Sloan program? And also, make sure you know your own resume and your SOP because she asked me about stuff I'd mentioned there.

My Skype interview lasted about 25 minutes, including the last couple of minutes where I was given the chance to ask some questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'll add mine to the mix and ask for your input.

School: State School
GPA: 3.42
GRE: V-159 (82%), Q-158 (70%), AW-4 (59%)
Major: Finance & Economics

Applied: VCU, Minnesota, Trinity, Ohio State, George Washington
Interview: VCU (3/17), Minnesota (1/13), Trinity (2/2), Ohio State (Declined), George Washington (1/10)

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Minnesota (Scholarship), Trinity, George Washington
Attending:

Does anyone have insight regarding the VCU interview that would be helpful or, at the very least, calm my nerves? At this point, if I am accepted, it is between VCU and Minnesota. I would love to hear the pros and cons of each and how they stack up.

VCU's interview is very conversational. I am in the same boat right now torn between VCU and Minn.

Has anyone applied to NYU's MPA in Health Management or have any thoughts on their program? I also noticed that not many people applied

If I had to guess its probably do to the cost, similar to why people turn their heads on Columbia.

Anyone choosing Minn over VCU or vice versa, if so why?

I spoke with someone at USC yesterday, and they mentioned that some of the MHA applicants would be notified sometime this week. So, best of luck and let me know if you hear anything!

Oh that's good news, I suppose! Thanks for the update :) Have you heard back from them yet? I'm curious whether it'll be via the yousc portal or snail mail. I'll definitely update if I hear anything!

Interview: VCU (3/17), Minnesota (1/13), Trinity (2/2), Ohio State (Declined), George Washington (1/10)

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Attending:

Does anyone have insight regarding the VCU interview that would be helpful or, at the very least, calm my nerves? At this point, if I am accepted, it is between VCU and Minnesota. I would love to hear the pros and cons of each and how they stack up.

When and how did you hear about your sccholarship from Minnesota? I'm still waiting to hear back (fingers crossed)!

When and how did you hear about your sccholarship from Minnesota? I'm still waiting to hear back (fingers crossed)!

I heard from Diane on February 7, so about a month after my interview and 3 weeks after I was accepted.

Oh that's good news, I suppose! Thanks for the update :) Have you heard back from them yet? I'm curious whether it'll be via the yousc portal or snail mail. I'll definitely update if I hear anything!

I received an admission packet in the mail on 2/18! I did receive a scholarship so I'm not sure if they send those out early. I received my packet first and then an email telling me to check my decision on yousc. Good luck to you!!

Reactions: 1 users
I received an admission packet in the mail on 2/18! I did receive a scholarship so I'm not sure if they send those out early. I received my packet first and then an email telling me to check my decision on yousc. Good luck to you!!
Congrats on the acceptance to USC with a scholarship! That is awesome. Would you mind posting your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Woke up at 4 am bc of a crazy thunderstorm, saw an email to check my portal, GOT IN TO USC!!!!! :soexcited: (Praying that finaid is on its way as well :xf:)

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone else have any concerns about the first year workload at JHU? I would really like to go there especially bc of the second year residency but I'm worried the first year will be too overwhelming/intense with the number of classes you have to take each quarter.

Woke up at 4 am bc of a crazy thunderstorm, saw an email to check my portal, GOT IN TO USC!!!!! :soexcited: (Praying that finaid is on its way as well :xf:)
I was accepted to USC as well! :soexcited: I'm stoked! Now we just need to wait for our admissions packets to arrive to see if we got any scholarships!

Does anyone else have any concerns about the first year workload at JHU? I would really like to go there especially bc of the second year residency but I'm worried the first year will be too overwhelming/intense with the number of classes you have to take each quarter.

You can ask Teresa to get you in touch with a current first year student about any concerns/questions you may have. That's what I did. I actually ended up talking to a first year on the phone. She was super nice and helpful. Most of my concerns were about the area and living situation so that was the main focus of our conversation. But she did say that although the first year is super busy, it's not necessarily hard work. I most likely will be attending Visitors' Day on March 10 and was told by her that they are trying to organize a happy hour for afterwards so we can meet more current students and of course they can address any other questions we still have.

I was accepted to USC as well! :soexcited: I'm stoked! Now we just need to wait for our admissions packets to arrive to see if we got any scholarships!
yay, congrats!!

Did anyone receive or hear back about scholarships from OSU, VCU, or Minn?

You can ask Teresa to get you in touch with a current first year student about any concerns/questions you may have. That's what I did. I actually ended up talking to a first year on the phone. She was super nice and helpful. Most of my concerns were about the area and living situation so that was the main focus of our conversation. But she did say that although the first year is super busy, it's not necessarily hard work. I most likely will be attending Visitors' Day on March 10 and was told by her that they are trying to organize a happy hour for afterwards so we can meet more current students and of course they can address any other questions we still have.

Oh good idea, thanks so much!

Did you receive a formal letter in the packet? I was just admitted as well, and I just received the package, but no word on funding yet. My USC financial aid said my application is still in review, but I'm not sure if that is updated yet. Hopefully something comes through!

Did anyone receive or hear back about scholarships from OSU, VCU, or Minn?

Minnesota got back to me but only after I emailed asking about my status on financial aid. Still waiting on final word from OSU.

Did you receive a formal letter in the packet? I was just admitted as well, and I just received the package, but no word on funding yet. My USC financial aid said my application is still in review, but I'm not sure if that is updated yet. Hopefully something comes through!
I did receive a formal letter in the packet for both admission and scholarship. Congrats on your acceptance too!!

Anyone have input on the importance of a highly ranked school of public health. Does it matter?

Does anyone know if UIC offers financial aid/scholarships? Has anyone here applied/heard back from them? I got an acceptance email today but there was no mention of funding options.

School: Large State School
GPA: 3.51 cumulative 3.75 Major
GRE: 152 V 150 Q 4 AW
Major: Public Health with concentration in Health Promotion and minor in Business Administration

2+ years experience in health finance and state department of public health

Applied: UNCC, UNC, ASU
Interview:

Waitlist: UNC (2/2/17)
Rejected:
Accepted: ASU (1/18)
Attending:

Anyone else waitlisted at UNC? Or rather received an email about your application being placed on hold?

Hi! I actually got an email from them yesterday. They said that they have put my application on hold - to review again in the next few weeks. Basically, I've been waitlisted.
Hi! I received the same message on the 2nd as you did. Have you heard anything else?

Finally heard back from every school and it's time to make a decision! Does anyone have ideas about JHU vs UNC? I know both programs are super different since JHU is essentially a one year program, but aside from that I'm wondering if JHU might be a better choice just because it's such a widely known school that's super well respected. I visited UNC though and absolutely loved it, so I am leaning towards it right now.

Minnesota got back to me but only after I emailed asking about my status on financial aid. Still waiting on final word from OSU.

I just heard back from Minnesota this afternoon about scholarships! I did email them earlier this week though

Has anyone heard back from the University of Michigan regarding scholarship info?

Quick Question, when did you apply for USC and how long was the turn around time for them to get back to you?

Quick Question, when did you apply for USC and how long was the turn around time for them to get back to you?
I applied on 12/14 which was the day before the scholarship deadline and heard back 02/18!

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Attending:

Hey, can you give me an overview for the Trinity interview, mine is coming up soon and I want to make sure that I am preparing correctly.

Finally heard back from every school and it's time to make a decision! Does anyone have ideas about JHU vs UNC? I know both programs are super different since JHU is essentially a one year program, but aside from that I'm wondering if JHU might be a better choice just because it's such a widely known school that's super well respected. I visited UNC though and absolutely loved it, so I am leaning towards it right now.
congratulations!! did you get offered any financial aid for UNC or JHU?

congratulations!! did you get offered any financial aid for UNC or JHU?

Thank you! No, not that I know of yet. I still haven't received my official letter from UNC yet so hopefully I have some sort of financial aid from them. Have you heard anything?

Hi - I was accepted to USC (Southern California) on 2/21, but I did not receive any scholarships. I'm thinking of deferring admission to Fall 2018 to save up money or re-applying for Fall 2018 admission/scholarships altogether. Anyone else in the same boat?

Hi - I was accepted to USC (Southern California) on 2/21, but I did not receive any scholarships. I'm thinking of deferring admission to Fall 2018 to save up money or re-applying for Fall 2018 admission/scholarships altogether. Anyone else in the same boat?

I'm also thinking of re-applying for Fall 2018 admission and scholarships altogether. I don't want to take a year off, but I feel as though it will benefit me greatly to gain some healthcare experience and save money. I would then re-apply to the programs I applied to this year as well as others that I had not previously considered.

I have had a lot of informational interviews with current students and alumni and heard the work load is not bad. My main concern with the 1 year program is how much I could actually learn in that amount of time. I am mostly interested in the business classes as I have some experience in healthcare already. From what I know JHU's business school is pretty new. Aside from that, students have told me a lot of the technical business courses are surface level. This makes a two year school a lot more appealing to me. For example, Michigan's accounting class is taught by the COO of the U mich health system, who I hear is a great teacher. A JHU a student told me the accounting teacher was bad, but that they gave a lot of feedback, so hopefully he/she will improve this year. One student said JHU focused less on the business courses and more on insurance and policy. I think you can totally handle it. Just depends on what you are interested in. Either way, it's not a bad position to be in.

Anyone have advice picking between JH and Minnesota? I'm having a hard time seeing anything that would offset the benefit of working year 2 with JH... That being said, I was really impressed with Minnesota's alumni network, which is also kind of enticing. I'd love to hear what anyone else thinks, or if anyone is in the same spot! I'm visiting JH next week and getting a tour from one of the current MHA students so I definitely won't make a decision until after that.

I've struggled with Minnesota vs. U mich vs Hopkins too. Ultimately, after to talking to a lot of administrators, students and alumni for me it came down to whether I knew what I wanted to do out of school and what kind of experience I wanted. I haven't decided which school yet, but I'm opting for a traditional two year program. It gives me more options and I can pursue an MBA if I choose too. I've talked with a ceo and a few directors about my choices because I was so enamored with the Hopkins name. In public health and medicine it is a very famous school but in regards to management and moving up vertically, they all told me you have a better chance of getting reputable fellowships from the other two year programs. If you're looking to work straight away and skip the admin fellowship, then Hopkins can definitely give you a head start. In the end, the difference in cost is going to be marginal compared to your earning potential.

Plus, since you mentioned the alumni network, even non-Minnesota alums have told me that the Minnesota network is freakishly tight knit. Their alumni are in leadership roles all over the country. It's pretty crazy.

I'd like to know what you have heard from people though--especially if it's different than what I have been told. Post about how you visit is. I won't be able to attend.

School: Medium Private School
GPA: 3.68
GRE: 160 V 161 Q 4W
Major: health management
Minors: public health and biology

Applied: Minnesota, Michigan, UNC, Rush

Interview: Minnesota (1/13) , Michigan (1/31, visit day 2/10), UNC (declined)

Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Minnesota (1/18), Michigan (2/09)
Attending:

I'm torn between Minnesota and Michigan. Are you? Or have your decided on one over the other and why?

Has anyone heard back from the University of Michigan regarding scholarship info?

Not yet. I emailed them last week and the department has still replied to me. When I was a visit day, they said they would know in march. So hopefully we will hear soon? Let me know when you do!

I'm torn between Minnesota and Michigan. Are you? Or have your decided on one over the other and why?

I'm torn between both as well!

With Minnesota, my sister went there and she loved it! Their alumni network is amazing and the teachers and students have a fantastic relationship. Plus I've heard back regarding scholarship so I know where I stand with them.

With Michigan, the alumni network is equally amazing and I think getting a perspective of policy is really important, which makes it stand out. I did email them about scholarships and they said that the committee will meet next Monday so we should hear soon! I'll let you know if I do hear anything.

Let me know when you choose as well!

Has anyone considered University of Pittsburgh?

Did anyone attend Columbia's visit day? How'd it go?

Thank you! No, not that I know of yet. I still haven't received my official letter from UNC yet so hopefully I have some sort of financial aid from them. Have you heard anything?
Yeah I got my admission letter maybe almost a month ago, but I am still hoping to get some financial aid because the costs are crazy.

Has anyone applied to NYU's MPA in Health Management or have any thoughts on their program? I also noticed that not many people applied

Hi airean,

I applied to NYU's MPA program. Have not heard back yet. Should be hearing back sometime within the next two weeks according to their website.

UPDATE!
---
Hey everyone!

I am brand new to the forum and just read through all of your responses. I applied to eight schools and am waiting to hear back from one. I am currently debating between Cornell, USC, Boston, and NYU as my choice for Fall 2017. I would love to hear from anyone that can provide any advice and/or info as to why they chose or didn't choose one or all four of these schools. Thanks in advance for the help.

I love the program at Carnegie Mellon but without a substantial scholarship the cost would be too high.

School: Small Big East School
GPA: 3.05/4.0
GRE: 157V 152Q 4AW
Major: Exercise Physiology

Applied: Suffolk, Mizzou, Carnegie Mellon, NYU (MPA), Emory (MPH - HPM), Boston (MBA - HSM), Cornell, and USC

Interview: Mizzou, Boston, and Cornell

Waiting to hear from: Carnegie Mellon

Accepted: Suffolk (Scholarship), Mizzou (Scholarship), Emory (Scholarship), Boston (Scholarship), Cornell (Small Scholarship), USC (Scholarship), NYU (1/2 T Scholarship)

Attending: Could use some insight into Cornell, USC, Boston, and NYU to help make my decision.

Was recently admitted to NYU with a large scholarship which has made this decision even tougher. Would love to talk to someone about the four schools above.

Last edited: