Family Friendly Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

runs4chocolate

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been reading about doing research on schools that are more family friendly than others. All the forums and blogs are a bit outdated and I wanted other opinions. I would also like to know of any non-family friendly schools.

I am currently post-bac and doing my MCAT and application process. I've been married for 3 years, 24 years old, and have a husband willing to be a SAHD if necessary in medschool. I also want children and would like anyones imput!
 
When I was interviewing at Midwestern in Glendale, there were lots of families. There were a lot of spouses with young children in the rec center and playground, and one of the med students there told me that his on campus apartment was large enough for his family.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been reading about doing research on schools that are more family friendly than others. All the forums and blogs are a bit outdated and I wanted other opinions. I would also like to know of any non-family friendly schools.

I am currently post-bac and doing my MCAT and application process. I've been married for 3 years, 24 years old, and have a husband willing to be a SAHD if necessary in medschool. I also want children and would like anyones imput!

LECOM is totally family friendly
 
I found DMU to be extreamly family friendly and I have a good friend that is at KCOM and hear they are extreamly family friendly to the point you can bring your SO to the interview day to receive their own info session about being a spouse of a medical student.
 
Western Lebanon is family friendly, we even have trick or treating at the school for the kids on Halloween
 
RVUCOM is nice. There are lots of non-trads with kids here, including myself. There's even been a few women that I know who have had kids during the first two years. The faculty is understanding and flexible in terms of issues that come up when you have kids. You can request an increase in your Cost of attendance to cover daycare expenses (although it's still barely enough money). The financial part has been the hardest part for me in med school with a family, we've had to borrow from family. Each lecture hall has a private "nursing room" with mirrored glass and most days somebody is up there with their infant or toddler. The schedule is nice too with not all morning lectures being required. Required labs are in the afternoon and first year you have to be in most afternoons for anatomy and other labs. Second year is better without anatomy lab, I come to campus 3-4 days/week now.