fee waiver without SAR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CINDIEE

aja aja :)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received fee waiver or applied for fee waiver without SAR?
I graduated from college a while ago so I thought I could not apply for FAFSA because when I tried to fill out the FAFSA application form there was a question saying 'In what year of college are you going to be' (or something similar).

I checked the AACOMAS Instruction and it said:

"If you do not have a SAR for the current year you can submit a copy of your most recent tax return along with the tax returns of those that claim you as a dependent."

so I was just going to send in a copy of my/my parents' tax return report (I am still a dependent of my parents; tax filed together)

but!!a lot of people on SDN sounds like they have their SAR ..so I was just wondering if it's possible to get the waiver without the SAR ...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No, you need the SAR. Fill out the FAFSA and put that you plan on going to school this or next year. When it asks what school you want to send it to, just pick one of the one's you're applying to.

"To be considered for an AACOMAS fee waiver, you must submit a copy of the Student Aid Report (SAR) for the current year you received back from the Department of Education if you filed the FAFSA form. If you do not have a SAR for the current year you can submit a copy of your most recent tax return along with the tax returns of those that claim you as a dependent."

http://www.aacom.org/infofor/applicants/pages/FeeWaiver.aspx

Members don't see this ad :)
one more question !!
I am filling out the 2014-2015
not the 2013-2014 correct? :)

I am just asking becaues I think I saw in another thread someone saying the Fafsa result for 2014-2015 is not ready yet...

Wait I filled out FAFSA and did FAP - would that be the same thing? & FAP didn't ask for SAR it asked for just the 1040 tax forms.

Yes for FAP you dont need to FAFSA :)

Just send in your tax return form (and your parents') with the document cover letter that they have in AACOMAS. You don't need the SAR if you didn't apply for FAFSA (as quoted above)

Question for anyone who can help. I didn't file taxes and I did not go to school this year. I was going to send in a form saying I did not file but it is not available until June 15th. Would it be ok to fill out a fasfa to get a SAR because I don't want to wait that long to send it in? I called aacomas and didn't get a clear answer.

Question for anyone who can help. I didn't file taxes and I did not go to school this year. I was going to send in a form saying I did not file but it is not available until June 15th. Would it be ok to fill out a fasfa to get a SAR because I don't want to wait that long to send it in? I called aacomas and didn't get a clear answer.

Did you work ? or are you dependent

I didn't make enough to file and no I'm not a dependent. I thought about just filing late since I wasn't required to file anyway just to get the form. But I thought the SAR would be better.
Did you work ? or are you dependent

This seems like a very special case. You can still file your fafsa. Hopefully your SAR report doesn't get an asterisk at the end. It is worth a try.
I didn't make enough to file and no I'm not a dependent. I thought about just filing late since I wasn't required to file anyway just to get the form. But I thought the SAR would be better.

Reactions: 1 user
What does it mean when you see *C for EFC in SAR report?
EFC= 001234* C

It means your fafsa has been selected for verification.

Thanks it was verified by school already but when I send to AACOMAS for fee waiver does it matter if it has *C or not?
Maybe I should send my tax returns with SAR to be safe side?

Thanks it was verified by school already but when I send to AACOMAS for fee waiver does it matter if it has *C or not?
Maybe I should send my tax returns with SAR to be safe side?
I sent mine with tax returns just to be safe. Can't hurt (well it has Social security numbers on it and stuff).