fee waiver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuckyCharmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been granted a fee waiver yet? I sent my info in on May 4th but haven't heard back yet. I know it takes a few weeks but I want to submit my app already!!

Members don't see this ad.

i don't think you can submit till June 1st, so you have almost two more weeks in hand for the fee waiver decision

Eek, I submitted mine a few weeks ago too! I hope they don't throw out the early birds! I don't understand why they would wait until June 1st to start looking at them... seems like its putting the disadvantaged at more of a disadvantage :(

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know what the requirements are to qualify?

you can PM me

I received a letter in the mail last Friday that I was granted the fee waiver. It was dated the 10th. I mailed my info the first week of May.

Did those of you who haven't heard back yet include a self addressed stamped envelope?

how do we do that?

should we fold up the self addressed envelope and put it in another envelope?

Also, Do I submit the SAR for 2009-2010 or 2010-2011???

how do we do that?

should we fold up the self addressed envelope and put it in another envelope?

Also, Do I submit the SAR for 2009-2010 or 2010-2011???

Yes, I just folded the envelope up.

I submitted my SAR for 2010-2011. Remember to sign & date it.

I didn't think to write my AACOMAS # on anything because the directions didn't say to, but I wish I had. I'm just hoping it doesn't cause a delay for them to apply it to my account.

I received a letter in the mail last Friday that I was granted the fee waiver. It was dated the 10th. I mailed my info the first week of May.

Did those of you who haven't heard back yet include a self addressed stamped envelope?

Yay! I'm glad to hear they don't enforce the June 1st bit! I included the SASE with mine and haven't heard back yet, but hopefully soon!!

this may sound dumb

if we get approved than do we select "yes" for the economically disadvantaged questions, i'm assuming we do but just wanted to confirm.

also does being economically disadvantaged help at all in being admitted like URM status does?

this may sound dumb

if we get approved than do we select "yes" for the economically disadvantaged questions, i'm assuming we do but just wanted to confirm.

also does being economically disadvantaged help at all in being admitted like URM status does?

I don't think so but I could be wrong... I was approved for the AMCAS fee assistance, but definitely wouldn't consider myself economically disadvantaged enough to merit being classified as such on my applications.

i did not include a self address envelope. did not see anything in the directions maybe overlooked it

Members don't see this ad :)
this may sound dumb

I think this may be somewhat subjective. If you honestly feel you've had some real hardships due to money, they I would say yes.

I don't know if it helps at all in admissions. This may depend on individual schools. Maybe they would take this into consideration if you had a rough start (bad early GPA, had to work instead of attend school, ect) but worked hard despite the financial hardship.

i did not include a self address envelope. did not see anything in the directions maybe overlooked it
yeah me either! Now I'm worried...I was gonna email them tomorrow...

I didn't have a SAR or FAFSA or anything since I graduated in 09, so I just sent in my tax forms and my parents forms...hope that was enough!!

i mean, I don't think i'm economically disadvanted because I live in a house, I have food;

i've never received government assistance like food stamps and things like that
but I do fall below http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ope/trio/incomelevels.html
these figures.
It did prevent me from taking the mcat last year because I didn't have money for exams, practice material, things like that.
It also forced me to take a couple classes at C.C. instead of 4 year school.

so, i dunno...

yeah me either! Now I'm worried...I was gonna email them tomorrow...

I didn't have a SAR or FAFSA or anything since I graduated in 09, so I just sent in my tax forms and my parents forms...hope that was enough!!

Maybe that's why it's taking longer. I'm sure it takes more time to analyze a multiple tax returns than to just look at the SAR's EFC.

i mean, I don't think i'm economically disadvanted because I live in a house, I have food;

i've never received government assistance like food stamps and things like that
but I do fall below http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ope/trio/incomelevels.html
these figures.
It did prevent me from taking the mcat last year because I didn't have money for exams, practice material, things like that.
It also forced me to take a couple classes at C.C. instead of 4 year school.

so, i dunno...

Tough call. I honestly feel I can claim it. I've never lived in a house and my family did receive aid. I may have done better on my mcat if I'd been able to afford better study materials or a class. All I did was check out some books from the library, ask for one examcrackers 1001 chem questions for my birthday, and get the free amcas mcat book from my fee assistance. I could only afford 2 practice tests. Not to try to make excuses - I made the choice to take the test when I did. I suppose I could have tried to save $$ until I could afford to order better test prep materials.

Can we still submit a fee waiver application? I did one for AMCAS but I remember when I looked about a month or so ago for the AACOMAS one it said they weren't taking any more applications for this app period...did I just read that wrong?

Can we still submit a fee waiver application? I did one for AMCAS but I remember when I looked about a month or so ago for the AACOMAS one it said they weren't taking any more applications for this app period...did I just read that wrong?

If you looked before the new cycle started, it was still the screen from last year. You can still send one in, but they have a really limited number so I'd do it asap. I haven't checked the page recently, so as long as it doesn't say they are gone now, there are still some available.

There could also be some available if some people don't use theirs within 60 days or jump the gun and submit before it's applied to their account, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to send stuff in even if you think they might be gone.

ahh man, i completely forgot to include the envelope! what should i do, re-send everything? gahhh...

seap3, does your aacomas app get updated when you've been granted the fee waiver or was it just a letter in the mail?

ahh man, i completely forgot to include the envelope! what should i do, re-send everything? gahhh...

seap3, does your aacomas app get updated when you've been granted the fee waiver or was it just a letter in the mail?

So far nothing has shown up on my aacomas app. I've just had the letter. I'm wondering if it won't show up until after June 1 when I actually can submit. I looked at some old threads and it looked like when you check your schools, 3 of them will have a message saying 'fee waiver' or something like that.

I'd probably call and ask them what they want you to do if you forgot to include the envelope.

It seems weird that I'm the only one that's heard anything yet.

I received the fee waiver (it was dated May 14th)- I sent my stuff in on May 4th.

I sent in my SAR (sign and dated) and a self addressed stamped envelope. However, I didn't know we were supposed to include our AACOMAS # on it.... I hope it doesn't delay anything. How are we supposed to know if they've "applied" it to our application yet?

Did you guys make sure you addressed it to the NEW location? Because on May 3rd it was the "Friendship Lane" one, but on May 4th they changed it an "L street" address.

I received the fee waiver (it was dated May 14th)- I sent my stuff in on May 4th.

I sent in my SAR (sign and dated) and a self addressed stamped envelope. However, I didn't know we were supposed to include our AACOMAS # on it.... I hope it doesn't delay anything. How are we supposed to know if they've "applied" it to our application yet?

Did you guys make sure you addressed it to the NEW location? Because on May 3rd it was the "Friendship Lane" one, but on May 4th they changed it an "L street" address.
bolding mine

I am also concerned about this. I don't see anything in my app, and as I said, I'm just hoping it shows up on June 1st. I don't want to submit thinking it will show up during the process of checking schools, but then lose it because I was too early.

I also mailed mine to the new address on "L street" in Washington DC.

I guess I freaked out too soon because I got my waiver approval in the mail on Friday 5/21. I just about messed up the directions in every way (forgot to send the self-addressed envelope and I mailed it to the old Friendship address since AACOM hadn't changed it on the website yet) but still got it! It just took a bit longer. :thumbup:

Just thought I'd let everyone know how to see if their fee waiver has been applied. I know it's not time yet, but I decided to go ahead and check my schools and click apply. It took me to a screen where I still have the option to change my schools, but 3 of them had a green "Fee waived" note by them.

No where does it say to include a self-addressed envelope. NO where; so I really hope they don't hold it against us!! lol

No where does it say to include a self-addressed envelope. NO where; so I really hope they don't hold it against us!! lol

Yes it does.

http://www.aacom.org/InfoFor/applicants/Pages/FeeWaiver.aspx
To be considered for an AACOMAS fee waiver, applicants should do the following: Submit a copy of the Student Aid Report for the current year received from the Department of Education if you have completed and submitted the Free Application for Student Financial Aid (FAFSA) for aid to a previous institution. Sign and date the copy of the form in blue or black ink and submit the copy along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to:

It's also in the CIB, page 16:
1. Submit a copy of the Student Aid Report for
the current year received from the Department
of Education if you have completed
and submitted the Free Application for
Student Financial Aid (FAFSA) for aid to
a previous institution. Sign and date the
copy of the form in blue or black ink and
submit the copy along with a stamped, self addressed
envelope
to:

But no, I don't think they will hold it against you. It may just slow things down as it also says in the CIB:
3. Be sure to follow the instructions above
carefully in order to avoid any delays in processing.

I guess you are partly right though - I just checked the instructions and it doesn't say it there. It does say to include a letter, which I didn't do, and they didn't hold that against me.

Hope you hear something soon. :)

Was there a place to sign and date your Student Aid Report? I only had access to the electronic version. I printed it out and signed it at the bottom of the first page, but there was no signature line. Is this what everyone else did?

Yeah, it doesn't say that here:
http://www.aacom.org/InfoFor/applicants/documents/instructions.pdf

I also called and asked, and they say it's okay, lol.

Just wish all of the information was more uniform.

Yes it does.

http://www.aacom.org/InfoFor/applicants/Pages/FeeWaiver.aspx
To be considered for an AACOMAS fee waiver, applicants should do the following: Submit a copy of the Student Aid Report for the current year received from the Department of Education if you have completed and submitted the Free Application for Student Financial Aid (FAFSA) for aid to a previous institution. Sign and date the copy of the form in blue or black ink and submit the copy along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to:

It's also in the CIB, page 16:
1. Submit a copy of the Student Aid Report for
the current year received from the Department
of Education if you have completed
and submitted the Free Application for
Student Financial Aid (FAFSA) for aid to
a previous institution. Sign and date the
copy of the form in blue or black ink and
submit the copy along with a stamped, self addressed
envelope
to:

But no, I don't think they will hold it against you. It may just slow things down as it also says in the CIB:
3. Be sure to follow the instructions above
carefully in order to avoid any delays in processing.

I guess you are partly right though - I just checked the instructions and it doesn't say it there. It does say to include a letter, which I didn't do, and they didn't hold that against me.

Hope you hear something soon. :)

Was there a place to sign and date your Student Aid Report? I only had access to the electronic version. I printed it out and signed it at the bottom of the first page, but there was no signature line. Is this what everyone else did?

Same here, except I just signed at the top. I guess to make sure they didn't miss it. :laugh:

Any point in still applying for the fee waiver? I was thrown off that a month ago they still had up the sign saying all fee waivers had been given out in bright red and that no more were gonna be given so I never looked back. I should have looked closer to see that it was for last years class but I figured they wouldn't have that up this late in the year. Just got accepted for the amcas one though.

My main question: Is it really helpful??? I just looked online at the details and it only helps you out with three schools? That's it? Doesn't seem like it would help much regardless.

Any point in still applying for the fee waiver? I was thrown off that a month ago they still had up the sign saying all fee waivers had been given out in bright red and that no more were gonna be given so I never looked back. I should have looked closer to see that it was for last years class but I figured they wouldn't have that up this late in the year. Just got accepted for the amcas one though.

My main question: Is it really helpful??? I just looked online at the details and it only helps you out with three schools? That's it? Doesn't seem like it would help much regardless.
If approved for the fee waiver, you can have your secondary fees waived at all schools except LECOM, LECOM-B, NSU-COM, WVSOM, and WCU-COM. If you are eligible for a fee wavier but are not granted one because they have been exhausted for the current cycle, your information is still forwarded so that your secondary fees can be waived. For me, at least, it seems like a minimal amount of effort to forward the SAR in exchange for the reduction in fees. What do you have to lose other than the cost of mailing the SAR?

Good points but atm: time :(. It'll take a week to get there, then 2-4 weeks to process. My GPA and MCAT are low so I want to apply immediately so at least if I'm in the first batch of apps they see I'm hoping they'll put me through.

What do you think?

Good points but atm: time :(. It'll take a week to get there, then 2-4 weeks to process. My GPA and MCAT are low so I want to apply immediately so at least if I'm in the first batch of apps they see I'm hoping they'll put me through.

What do you think?
I would still go ahead and send in your SAR. Even if you're paying full price for the AACOMAS submission, you may be able to have your secondary fees waived by the time you submit those. I think it would be worth the effort to try. If nothing comes of it, then you didn't lose much.

I got a letter today saying I didnt get the waiver...which sucks since I got the MD waiver :(

so its possible to submit the application on june 1st, and get the fee waiver a few weeks later, and not have to pay the secondary fees at a few schools? but if one had the waiver before the application was submitted, then the fees for the the aacomas app would be waived for a few schools as well?

so its possible to submit the application on june 1st, and get the fee waiver a few weeks later, and not have to pay the secondary fees at a few schools?

i would like to find out about this too

Same thing happened to me. Oh well.
it sucks because lately I've changed my mind and plan on applying to more DO than MD schools. great, now I'll have to bust out that $200 for Touro NY!

so its possible to submit the application on june 1st, and get the fee waiver a few weeks later, and not have to pay the secondary fees at a few schools?
This is what is printed in the 2011 AACOMAS Application Instructions: "If you receive an AACOMAS fee waiver, your name is forwarded to the osteopathic medical colleges in the event they grant a waiver of their supplemental application fee. Applicants who apply for a fee waiver and qualify financially but are too late to receive an AACOMAS waiver will also have their names forwarded to osteopathic medical colleges requesting such information. Meeting AACOMAS' eligibility criterion for a fee waiver, however, does not guarantee that a waiver will be granted for the supplemental fee."

Reading through this year's CIB, the criterion for most schools to waive the supplemental application fee is receipt of an AACOMAS fee waiver.

Putting both of these together, I'm fairly certain that the answer to your question is "Yes." I do not personally know anyone who has done this, though.

it sucks because lately I've changed my mind and plan on applying to more DO than MD schools. great, now I'll have to bust out that $200 for Touro NY!

That's what credit cards are for. ;)

I sent a self-addressed envelope but haven't received any word back from AACOMAS.

I found out I received the fee waiver by checking the page where you select which schools to submit to (I have my schools selected but haven't submitted my application yet). It'll say "fee waived" next to 3 if you've gotten it.

For those who've submitted a fee waiver but haven't heard back...

I just got the e-mail today that I satisfied the requirements for the fee waiver but I had already submitted my aacomas,

Can I still qualify for secondary waivers or will my fee waiver become invalidated because I didn't wait????

I sent a self-addressed envelope but haven't received any word back from AACOMAS.

I found out I received the fee waiver by checking the page where you select which schools to submit to (I have my schools selected but haven't submitted my application yet). It'll say "fee waived" next to 3 if you've gotten it.

For those who've submitted a fee waiver but haven't heard back...

On the available school list at the med school page it you can put a check next tothe schools and the next option is apply, how do you add instead? Application is incomplete so rather not apply to anything now.

On the available school list at the med school page it you can put a check next tothe schools and the next option is apply, how do you add instead? Application is incomplete so rather not apply to anything now.

Even after you hit the apply button on that page, it only takes you to another page where you will see the school list and the green "fee waived" if you've been approved. You still have to hit another submit button before it's official. So you are safe just checking as long as you don't hit the second button.

I just called the ACCOMAS fee waiver line and it said they had no more waivers to give. CRAP. I guess we can all at least hope that the schools verify us so we don't need to pay for most secondaries.

Hey, does anyone know how we go about getting secondary fee waivers, like do we just fill out the app and mail it in without the payment and let them figure it out on their own or do we have to call/e-mail/include some kind of letter so that they know not to expect a check from us?

whats the phone # to the fee waiver dept.

If you call the main number (301-968-4190), and press 4 for fee waiver information, it says "we currently have no fee waivers available for the current application cycle". I hadn't heard back yet so I went ahead and submitted and maybe I'll get a waiver for my secondaries

Hey, does anyone know how we go about getting secondary fee waivers, like do we just fill out the app and mail it in without the payment and let them figure it out on their own or do we have to call/e-mail/include some kind of letter so that they know not to expect a check from us?

I'd like to know this as well. I thought it said that AACOMAS forwards that info to the schools, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't send a copy of my letter just in case.