Feedback about LOI during my interview orientation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nhongz256

English Muffin
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to my interview at school X (keep anonymous due to privacy) several days ago. Before asking the question, here is a bit of background:
- During the interview orientation, the Dean explicitly said that if any of us interviewee has Letter of Intent/Interest, thank you note, or update letter, please upload to the portal online as these will be review by the whole committee.
- I read many threads and comments on SDN about the value of Letter of Intent/Interest/Update Letter from LizzyM, Goro, Gyngyn, and HomeSkool. The main consensus from SDN is these letters hold low value. This school is a top 10 schools, and it is neither Georgetown or Thomas Jefferson who love to see candidates go head over heel with them.
- The day the school will start released results are 03/15, after 04/30, and late June.
- I went to several interviews already but have not heard back from any. Comparing to other schools, this school is definitely my number one choice due to our compatibility.

My question is: Should I send a letter combining updates and expressed interest? And if yes, when should I send this letter?

I am highly interested in the chance of getting a scholarship as, to be honest, as an immigrant (already naturalized) who works multiple delivery jobs, I am hella broke after this application cycle (already used up all my savings). Will the letter of interest make me sound desperate? That if the school sends the acceptance, there is little to no incentive to give scholarship because I already expressed interest/intent?

Maybe I am overthinking, but I do love the school very much and can see myself success there. I want to send the letter of intent only to this school. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Go for it. I don't think it could really hurt anything so if you have a significant update and you truly are interested in going to the school, not to mention you just said they explicitly stated that LOIs are acceptable, send one as soon as you put one together!

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm embarrassed on behalf of this school.
If they asked for it, give it to them.

Is it safe to say that not sending an LOI/thank you/update to this school will be a red flag? And thus offering a reason for adcoms to waitlist/reject applicants post-interview?

I'm also curious whether the quality of these letters will be so finely examined and thus play a major role to being accepted.

I went to my interview at school X (keep anonymous due to privacy) several days ago. Before asking the question, here is a bit of background:
- During the interview orientation, the Dean explicitly said that if any of us interviewee has Letter of Intent/Interest, thank you note, or update letter, please upload to the portal online as these will be review by the whole committee.
- I read many threads and comments on SDN about the value of Letter of Intent/Interest/Update Letter from LizzyM, Goro, Gyngyn, and HomeSkool. The main consensus from SDN is these letters hold low value. This school is a top 10 schools, and it is neither Georgetown or Thomas Jefferson who love to see candidates go head over heel with them.
- The day the school will start released results are 03/15, after 04/30, and late June.
- I went to several interviews already but have not heard back from any. Comparing to other schools, this school is definitely my number one choice due to our compatibility.

My question is: Should I send a letter combining updates and expressed interest? And if yes, when should I send this letter?

I am highly interested in the chance of getting a scholarship as, to be honest, as an immigrant (already naturalized) who works multiple delivery jobs, I am hella broke after this application cycle (already used up all my savings). Will the letter of interest make me sound desperate? That if the school sends the acceptance, there is little to no incentive to give scholarship because I already expressed interest/intent?

Maybe I am overthinking, but I do love the school very much and can see myself success there. I want to send the letter of intent only to this school. What do you think?
Some med schools, like crazy ex-BF's or GF's, are needy....or like to see you grovel.

So make them happy and send them a love letter. You can keep the chocolates.

Reactions: 4 users
Some med schools, like crazy ex-BF's or GF's, are needy....or like to see you grovel.

So make them happy and send them a love letter. You can keep the chocolates.

But why do schools behave this way? It seems irrational. I wonder if they have problems with their yield, as accepted students repeatedly turn them down for other schools. Or maybe adcoms are just unreasonable and like to see applicants worshipping them and their school.

But why do schools behave this way? It seems irrational. I wonder if they have problems with their yield, as accepted students repeatedly turn them down for other schools. Or maybe adcoms are just unreasonable and like to see applicants worshiping them and their school.
I don't think this mindset come from the Adcom...I suspect it comes from the Dean him/herself.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it safe to say that not sending an LOI/thank you/update to this school will be a red flag? And thus offering a reason for adcoms to waitlist/reject applicants post-interview?

I'm also curious whether the quality of these letters will be so finely examined and thus play a major role to being accepted.
Understanding the thinking that produces this type of behavior is beyond my ken.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for the advice! I will send them a letter and keep the chocolate

I am a confused by this bit. Was the Dean indicating that interested applicants should submit letters, or just telling applicants where they should put add-ons?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm just curious - You say it's a top 10 schools, and then say it's not Georgetown or Jefferson, neither of which fall into (my definition) of Top 10. Wondering what you mean by Top 10.

I'm just curious - You say it's a top 10 schools, and then say it's not Georgetown or Jefferson, neither of which fall into (my definition) of Top 10. Wondering what you mean by Top 10.
It’s actually not Top10 but close by this year’s USNews

I think I know which school this is, I had the same experience with explicitly asking for a LOI. You should definitely send them the LOI, I however lost interest in the school due to hiccups on interview day and red flags such as the LOI.

I am a confused by this bit. Was the Dean indicating that interested applicants should submit letters, or just telling applicants where they should put add-ons?
Haha the Dean said that if you have any letter (update/intent/interest) to express how much you love the school or definitely will go to the school, upload it to the portal so the adcom can see it. The Dean just dropped it out there, and did not say should or should not but I guess this is the little nudge for candidates who are serious about the school.

Last edited:
It’s actually not Top10 but close by this year’s USNews
I googled and saw the old ranking (startclass, US News...) :p you are right, the new ranking, the school is currently not in the top ten for 2018. But still, this is my dream school as the resources of the school match with my interest.

Haha the Dean said that if you have any letter (update/intent/interest) to express how much you love the school or definitely will go to the school, upload it to the portal so the adcom can see it. The Dean just dropped it out there, and did not say should or should not but I guess this is the little nudge for candidates who are serious about the school.

I think it's more likely that the Dean was just attempting to herd applicants into not wasting his staff's time.