Feeling after cs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hr1900

Reaction score
I

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you're honestly more than okay. Not washing hands, counseling, or closing in a few cases will not make you fail. And everyone forgets a few important questions for every patient. A lot of people feel terrible after this exam, and the long wait doesn't help. At the end of the day, no one can tell you if you passed or failed, but it helps to have comparisons. If it makes you feel better, here are my mistakes from a few weeks ago (getting score back on Oct. 10th), and I think mine are pretty bad:

1. Crappy or vague closing on half the cases, didn't know what to say or stumbled
2. Told the patients what I thought they had in some cases (like only one thing and not a differential) which I think you're not supposed to do
3. Told two patients cancer of some sort (not telling specifics) as a possibility (which it was), which freaked one of them out
4. Didn't always tell the patient the correct differential or workup because I would change my mind while writing the note
5. Missed pertinent HPI or ROS in a bunch of cases because I blanked
6. Forgot to ask allergies or forgot to document it in 4 or so cases.
7. Shotgunned some of my physicals (did pieces and parts from the system I was on, never fully complete)
8. Forgot to document some physical exam stuff in my notes, some may have been pertinent
9. Either mis-typed some labs/tests or ordered some invasive tests for some patients
10. Didn't know what the patient had in a couple cases
- one case completely messed up the DDX (all three), literally had no clue
- one or two cases put a very unlikely/wrong diagnosis as my first, but the second and third were (maybe?) okay
- 2-3 other cases my 2nd and/or 3rd diagnosis was either wrong/unlikely, stupid, or I couldn't remember the correct medical term
- not 100% sure of my diagnosis or correct order in a couple of other cases but I backed them up
11. Never used pertinent negatives as my justifications
12. Felt like 6-7 or so of my cases I didn't have anything for physical exam justification because there was nothing
13. Used some non-approved abbreviations in my notes (but easily understandable because they're used often in real life)
14. One patient couldn't hear me well and asked "what?" many times (unrelated to the case, I was speaking too softly)
15. In at least two patients I was so tired or out of it (little sleep the night before) that I completely didn't pay attention to what they told me and repeated the wrong thing over and over to them, one of the patients got pissed.
17. Somewhat poor eye contact in a few cases because I wrote so much
18. Looked up at the clock sometimes to gauge how much time I had (not sure if I did this too much)
19. Some of my challenge answers were awkward or I felt like I didn't answer it well
Probably a lot of other stuff I'm forgetting. But you get the picture, this seems like I messed up A LOT and I'm pretty worried.

What I did do:
1. Counseled whenever i could (there was nothing to counsel on a few cases?)
2. Asked PMH, PSH, FH, SH, Meds consistently for most patients
3. Walked in, shook hands, introduced myself, asked what I could do for them/why they were there, etc
4. Wore gloves for every physical
5. Closed for all of my cases except one, though the closures were weak
6. Showed empathy very well for most of the patients (I think)
7. Always summarized as best as I could

Overall, I felt like the cases were very VAGUE and a lot weren't from FA for me. I'm more worried about the ICE part, but it's very possible my CIS could have taken a hit as well, who knows. If anyone reading who passed or knows someone who passed with similar mistakes can comment, would be great.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think you're honestly more than okay. Not washing hands, counseling, or closing in a few cases will not make you fail. And everyone forgets a few important questions for every patient. A lot of people feel terrible after this exam, and the long wait doesn't help. At the end of the day, no one can tell you if you passed or failed, but it helps to have comparisons. If it makes you feel better, here are my mistakes from a few weeks ago (getting score back on Oct. 10th), and I think mine are pretty bad:

1. Crappy or vague closing on half the cases, didn't know what to say or stumbled
2. Told the patients what I thought they had in some cases (like only one thing and not a differential) which I think you're not supposed to do
3. Told two patients cancer of some sort (not telling specifics) as a possibility (which it was), which freaked one of them out
4. Didn't always tell the patient the correct differential or workup because I would change my mind while writing the note
7. Shotgunned some of my physicals (did pieces and parts from the system I was on, never fully complete)
8. Forgot to document some physical exam stuff in my notes, some may have been pertinent
9. Either mis-typed some labs/tests or ordered some invasive tests for some patients
- one or two cases put a very unlikely/wrong diagnosis as my first, but the second and third were (maybe?) okay
- 2-3 other cases my 2nd and/or 3rd diagnosis was either wrong/unlikely, stupid, or I couldn't remember the correct medical term
- not 100% sure of my diagnosis or correct order in a couple of other cases but I backed them up
12. Felt like 6-7 or so of my cases I didn't have anything for physical exam justification because there was nothing
13. Used some non-approved abbreviations in my notes (but easily understandable because they're used often in real life)
14. One patient couldn't hear me well and asked "what?" many times (unrelated to the case, I was speaking too softly)
15. In at least two patients I was so tired or out of it (little sleep the night before) that I completely didn't pay attention to what they told me and repeated the wrong thing over and over to them, one of the patients got pissed.
18. Looked up at the clock sometimes to gauge how much time I had (not sure if I did this too much)
19. Some of my challenge answers were awkward or I felt like I didn't answer it well
Probably a lot of other stuff I'm forgetting. But you get the picture, this seems like I messed up A LOT and I'm pretty worried.

What I did do:
3. Walked in, shook hands, introduced myself, asked what I could do for them/why they were there, etc

Overall, I felt like the cases were very VAGUE and a lot weren't from FA for me. I'm more worried about the ICE part, but it's very possible my CIS could have taken a hit as well, who knows. If anyone reading who passed or knows someone who passed with similar mistakes can comment, would be great.

If you don't mind, where did you take the exam?

What I did do:

I had to login to reply to this. I did every single one of the things you listed and more. Just got my results today and passed! FMG.
Only 3 stars borderline in CIS.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had to login to reply to this. I did every single one of the things you listed and more. Just got my results today and passed! FMG.
Only 3 stars borderline in CIS.

Thank you, that really helps ease my anxiety about it a little bit.

How long does it take to recieve the results?

About 2-3 months. If you take it between July 15th and Sep. 8th the first reporting date is Oct. 10th. Source: USMLE website

What I did do:

Honestly sounds similar to me and others I’ve read/heard (and over the wait period I think I’ve read every CS freak out on here and Reddit lol). I passed today with higher CIS and half borderline half higher stars in ICE

F*** i did not counsel most of the cases. Would that put me at a risk of failure ? Omg, cant wait till 10th of october ,

You need to try to relax or you'll literally drive yourself insane with worry. No one can tell you for sure, but your mistakes don't seem that bad. I don't think you need to counsel in all cases if there isn't anything to counsel. There's no one mistake alone that will make you fail, it's a bunch of mistakes (more than you listed probably) added together that would bring you down. No one knows how they grade. And like I said before, I made way more mistakes. I straight up got the main diagnosis wrong in 4 cases, now that I think about it. The best you can do is try not to worry about it until Oct. 10th. I'm worried too, but there's nothing we can do now.

What I did do:

Had a very similar experience and also worried. Been reading tons of posts and most of them are pretty reassuring. I pretty much BS'ed all my physical exams, I regularly blanked and forgot to do important maneuvers. Question though, for a LOT of the PE, I only did partial exams on the physicals. Like for neuro, I rarely did gait. Will I completely lose points on that? Plus For 2-3 of the cases, there was literally one key maneuver that needed to be done and I didn't do them. My differentials were certainly iffy for a number of them, and I am certain I missed several 2nd or 3rd best ones. I had no idea on 2 cases straight up, and I'm pretty sure I COMPLETELY botched 1 case, like everything about it lol. This wait is gonna be brutal. I'm not concerned about CIS but I am about the ICE. I also wrote acronyms which weren't specific enough like "LFTs or Thyroid function tests" (not on my exam but just an example) and apparently you're supposed to say AST/ALT etc. Gah

Last edited:
I've always been told I have wonderful communication skills, but I nearly failed CIS. We also have OSCEs at our school so I had tons of practice. I think each SP has a secret checklist and you just have to hit all of the points. It's a shame that so many people have to fail it. The other step exams are like a 98% pass rate but they keep making CS more difficult to pass for whatever reason.

In hindsight, I think waiting for the results of CS was harder than Step 1 or CK. I feel for you all. I had to wait 8 weeks and it was brutal. Unfortunately, nothing you can do except wait and know that the odds are in your favor. Good luck to you all

Last edited:
Had a very similar experience and also worried. Been reading tons of posts and most of them are pretty reassuring. I pretty much BS'ed all my physical exams, I regularly blanked and forgot to do important maneuvers. Question though, for a LOT of the PE, I only did partial exams on the physicals. Like for neuro, I rarely did gait. Will I completely lose points on that? Plus For 2-3 of the cases, there was literally one key maneuver that needed to be done and I didn't do them. My differentials were certainly iffy for a number of them, and I am certain I missed several 2nd or 3rd best ones. I had no idea on 2 cases straight up, and I'm pretty sure I COMPLETELY botched 1 case, like everything about it lol. This wait is gonna be brutal. I'm not concerned about CIS but I am about the ICE. I also wrote acronyms which weren't specific enough like "LFTs or Thyroid function tests" (not on my exam but just an example) and apparently you're supposed to say AST/ALT etc. Gah

Yeah I feel you. In the moment it's hard to ask all the right questions (I know I missed a lot of pertinent ROS questions on EACH case, sometimes missing entire blocks of questions to rule things in or out) and do the right physical maneuvers. I also don't think I elicited a challenge question in a good amount of cases. It goes on and on (as I wrote above). I don't think you'd miss significant points for missing pieces and parts of the neuro exam. I think we'll be okay, people make a lot of mistakes and still pass. I messed something up on every case so if I can pass, I know you can haha. It's easy to beat yourself up but the best thing to do for now is to wait and focus on other stuff (ERAS, personal statement, letters of rec, step 2 ck if you haven't taken it yet, etc).

Can you guys all share what resources you used to prepare for CS? I know practicing with a study partner is essential but I mean in terms of books/notes?

Thanks

Can you guys all share what resources you used to prepare for CS? I know practicing with a study partner is essential but I mean in terms of books/notes?

Thanks

First Aid is all you need for this exam. If you need to brush up on physical exams, I highly recommend using Geeky Meds on YouTube. It’s a great source which runs through all of the physical exams you would need to know for the exam.

I would highly recommend going through the book two times. I made sure the first pass was with writing notes, not just doing the history taking. This put into perspective my timing and also validated if I was correctly writing the notes. Last but not least, don’t not forget to go through the mini-cases 2-3 times. Those prepare you for any situation that may come your way.

So, all in all, first aid is king here. Best of luck!

First Aid is all you need for this exam. If you need to brush up on physical exams, I highly recommend using Geeky Meds on YouTube. It’s a great source which runs through all of the physical exams you would need to know for the exam.

I would highly recommend going through the book two times. I made sure the first pass was with writing notes, not just doing the history taking. This put into perspective my timing and also validated if I was correctly writing the notes. Last but not least, don’t not forget to go through the mini-cases 2-3 times. Those prepare you for any situation that may come your way.

So, all in all, first aid is king here. Best of luck!

Thank you very much for the detailed reply! Good Luck to you too in your career :)

Ive taken the cs exam 2 daya ago.i think am gonna fail . I am an IMG with very high scores on step 1 and ck , but i was just so nervous during cs . I ran out of time during my first encounter so i could not explain the plan , dx or couel.him . I forgot to wash my hands durin one encounter but then i realized that , so i just stopped the PE , washed my hands , then examined the SP. Unfortunately i was doing the CV exam above the gawn at first . I forgot obgyn and illicit drug use hx in about 3 encounters . I did not counsel 2 -3 SP concerning smoking , alcohol . I always asked about the occupational but i was too nervous so that i forgot writing them down on the PN during every encounter. I was f*** too nervous to find the water cups so a SP could drink some water. Forgot to do some PE maveuvers like tactile fermitus when i should have done them . Any help?
It looks that u did well!!! I am in the same boat as you are. I messed my encounters and still we have to wait oct 10th

How did your test go for you?

What I did do:

Did you end up passing?

Status
Not open for further replies.