feeling lost, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurern15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

My husband is currently working on his prerequisites in school and this semester has got some unexpected B's in 2 classes. His overall GPA is not great (2.7) due to a year in college straight out of high school that wasn't taken seriously. He is very bright (scored 32 on his ACT) but seems to be having trouble with his confidence.

Anyway, he is near the point of giving up on med school and I am looking for any advice on his behalf on what his next steps should be. He currently has a premed advisor, but this person hasn't proven to be very helpful so far. His original plan was to get his MD, but had also been looking into DO school.

Specifically, I am looking for someone he could meet with who could advise him (I don't know who this type of person would be), advice on when to stop trying, and what other things he could be doing to beef up his application with a lower GPA.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Is he in his sophomore year? if so he has a lot of grades left to factor in. He could still bring it up and retake some of those bad grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
So basically, if he has 30 hrs so far, at a B- avg (2.7), there is still time to bring it up.

Example 1:

30 more hrs at B
60 hrs at A
= 120 hrs total, cGPA 3.43 (doable with a good MCAT)

Example 2:

90 hrs at A

= 120 hrs total, cGPA 3.68

If he goes over 120 hrs and keeps getting A's, it will only go up.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi All,

My husband is currently working on his prerequisites in school and this semester has got some unexpected B's in 2 classes. His overall GPA is not great (2.7) due to a year in college straight out of high school that wasn't taken seriously. He is very bright (scored 32 on his ACT) but seems to be having trouble with his confidence.

Anyway, he is near the point of giving up on med school and I am looking for any advice on his behalf on what his next steps should be. He currently has a premed advisor, but this person hasn't proven to be very helpful so far. His original plan was to get his MD, but had also been looking into DO school.

Specifically, I am looking for someone he could meet with who could advise him (I don't know who this type of person would be), advice on when to stop trying, and what other things he could be doing to beef up his application with a lower GPA.

Thanks in advance.

Where do you live? A good psychologist who specializes in existential issues and has a familiarity with what it takes to become a physician might help greatly. Premed advisors are a mixed bag, as some are awesome and some are no better than work study students. Hope isn't lost but it's only going to get more difficult, so he needs to seriously figure out if this is right for him right now.

Reactions: 1 user
He can get some very good advice right here in this forum. And in the rest of SDN, most people are very helpful (but avoid the angst and neuroticism).

I recommend that your hubby visit his school's learning or education center, to help with learning style, study tips, test taking etc.

Also, suggest a visit to the counseling center to work on the confidence or self-esteem issues.

The fastest path to be a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework and apply DO.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 1 users