Female medical student and feeling like I will be forever alone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waunder22

MS
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a female medical student in her 2nd year, in her early 20s, and observing most of the class becoming either married, engaged, in long term relationships, or pairing up...I am beginning to feel that I may be forever alone and eventually die alone.

I mean I'm not ugly or anything. Seriously. Or obese. Or even fat. Or even unattractive. I dress well, eat well, groom well, exercise, and in general, take care of myself. But I feel, every day, I am getting older and older...and that's not stopping any time soon?

Any other students single and feeling like the odd man out? I've been single for 2 years and seems like that trend will continue. I mean, I don't even want a boyfriend or want to be tied up. But it just feels odd to be single in a pool of pairs.

Med school just sucks in the dating scene.

I guess we can all die alone. Together.

(and no, I am not depressed in any sense.)

The rant of the day. And my very first post.

Members don't see this ad.

I met my now fiancee on a dating website. I suggest you look at them and ditch the pity party. Guys can smell desperation ;)

Relax, you still have a ton of time to find someone.

nothing wrong with remaining single in today's day and age

probably preferable provided you have some close friends you can count on

Members don't see this ad :)
I Agree with the above post, you definitely have plenty of time. Sometimes your next potential partner unexpectedly enters your life, so there's not telling when that special someone might walk into your life. That is what happened with me and my current GF actually. We were both on the track team together for a whole semester. Barely noticed each other. Than one day, in a totally different semester, things just clicked, and we progressed from that into what we are now. Funny how things work.

You definitely have hope, you have a LOT going for you.

I agree that the person you end up being really close to pops into your life almost unexpectedly and things shift around to make room for them. If it makes you feel any better, I'm in a similar situation but a male student. So much of my time is taken up, and I don't really want the extra "responsibility" and stress of maintaining a healthy relationship, even with another medical student who would be on the same page.

But I'm not worried about dying alone (at least not already!). I trust that when I fall for that girl and she falls for me, I won't see it as a responsibility I don't want and things will just happen. This could be well into or even after residency unfortunately..

f you don't want a boyfriend or to be attached to anyone, then yes, you will be alone, lol

Relax, you could always just be a cat lady.

PM me, will sex you

i thought you had that rotation girl.

OP: are you serious? how about we count our blessings and get excited about how we don't have anyone distracting us from an important period of learning? med school is the perfect time to be single! take it easy. look around... if something spectacular shows up, that's awesome. if not... cool. you're gonna be a doctor!

Reactions: 1 user
As a female medical student in her 2nd year, in her early 20s, and observing most of the class becoming either married, engaged, in long term relationships, or pairing up...I am beginning to feel that I may be forever alone and eventually die alone.

I mean I'm not ugly or anything. Seriously. Or obese. Or even fat. Or even unattractive. I dress well, eat well, groom well, exercise, and in general, take care of myself. But I feel, every day, I am getting older and older...and that's not stopping any time soon?

Any other students single and feeling like the odd man out? I've been single for 2 years and seems like that trend will continue. I mean, I don't even want a boyfriend or want to be tied up.. But it just feels odd to be single in a pool of pairs

Med school just sucks in the dating scene.

I guess we can all die alone. Together.

(and no, I am not depressed in any sense.)

The rant of the day. And my very first post.

Seems to me that you are getting exactly what you want

Date a resident. You'll only see each other once a month so you'll have plenty of time to study.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know that feel OP, I'm yet another Foreveralone Indian Virgin . I'm not sure how I've made it to 22 without even kissing anyone.

If I can make it into a selective specialty, I'll be able to get an arranged marriage to a particularly attractive woman though. So I just gotta beast STEP1 with a 250+, and I'm Foreveralone no more.

Tough gauntlet to run though.

Last edited:
So... You want to be alone and you are alone.

Productive post.

I know that feel OP, I'm yet another Foreveralone Indian Virgin . I'm not sure how I've made it to 22 without even kissing anyone.

If I can make it into a selective specialty, I'll be able to get an arranged marriage to a particularly attractive woman though. So I just gotta beast STEP1 with a 250+, and I'm Foreveralone no more.

Tough gauntlet to run though.

I hope to god you are not serious.....

So... You want to be alone and you are alone.

Productive post.

What's up with all the hate? I don't mind being alone NOW but I don't want to be "forever alone." My point was that I'm only getting older and I feel that I don't need a significant other right at this moment, but as a medical student who has to deal with residency, etc etc post graduation...I will never have the chance to find one.

I feel that it's much easier for guys, since guys can get married later with no worries and girls will be all over you once you are a MD anyway. But a girl? To be honest, men all want the younger girls anyway. They don't care whether you are a doctor or not.

How has no one asked for pics yet?

I feel that it's much easier for guys, since guys can get married later with no worries and girls will be all over you once you are a MD anyway. But a girl? To be honest, men all want the younger girls anyway. They don't care whether you are a doctor or not.

Not true for a lot of men. Try to get those thoughts out of your mind.

Srsly though, we should lay off on the OP. We're supposed to be future doctors, not trolls.

(not to minimod)

What's up with all the hate? I don't mind being alone NOW but I don't want to be "forever alone." My point was that I'm only getting older and I feel that I don't need a significant other right at this moment, but as a medical student who has to deal with residency, etc etc post graduation...I will never have the chance to find one.

Not really.

Maybe if you become a rich orthopedist, then a certain type of girl will be all over you...but it has nothing to do with the MD and everything to do with your bank account.

Not really.

Maybe if you become a rich orthopedist, then a certain type of girl will be all over you...but it has nothing to do with the MD and everything to do with your bank account.

Dude, chicks dig physicians. That's why that execrable show called "Grey's Anatomy" is somehow STILL on the air.

Dude, chicks dig physicians. That's why that execrable show called "Grey's Anatomy" is somehow STILL on the air.

meh, I think it's more the bank account/stability than the MD title itself. Of course, many cultures elevate physicians to rock star status, but I don't think that is the norm.

Maybe there is a "Grey's Anatomy" effect though. Too many people think that all doctors go around running to code blues while The Fray is playing in the background.

meh, I think it's more the bank account/stability than the MD title itself. Of course, many cultures elevate physicians to rock star status, but I don't think that is the norm.

Maybe there is a "Grey's Anatomy" effect though. Too many people think that all doctors go around running to code blues while The Fray is playing in the background.

Yeah, in India a physician is the "God Profession," as some people call it.

Unfortunately, we're not in India anymore.

Srsly tho, how the hell is a man or a woman supposed to find time to date in med school?

Not hating, my post was a little douchey though sorry about that. Seriously You'll be fine... An attractive, smart, female doctor.. Men should be lining up when you're ready.

Srsly tho, how the hell is a man or a woman supposed to find time to date in med school?

Just start M1?

You will get better managing your time and hence have more free time. Everyone does.

Hell...I even went on dates during by surgery rotation when I was waking up at 4:45am and taking overnight call.

ever notice how the guys on Greys Anatomy are hotter than the female doctors? chicks dig hot doctors.

There's a few married people in my class. They are generally well below-average in looks and a couple of them have asian mail order brides.

Seriously girls go for the classic "good looking guy"... been talking to this girl for quite awhile now, things are going well... In comes the 6'4", built, good looking dude.. Woop, game over for me.. level up for him. It's bull****!

So if you're one of the girls then I don't feel bad for you one bit!

Yeah, because if it was reversed and a Megan Fox gave you a wink you'd stay focused on your freckled cutie with an overbite and clever wordplay. pfft. girls are human too. next.

bish please

you can go out there and easily get a great husband

what you can't get is a great husband who also has the equivalent or greater social status than you

Not sure if srs.

Completely serious. I don't think I have encountered any good looking ambitious people who have gotten married in their 20s.

The mail order brides/internet based marriages are no joke. Lots of pasty pink faced white Australian males do it.

A girl posting about being single on the internet?

See you at 50 pages brohams

at least now i work like a horse and four years ago I thought workaholism was a myth.

This thread....is hilarious. Sexual frustration is off the charts.

If you want to have a relationship and get married someday, I'm sure you will.

Although what annoys me is the male/female double standard. A male would never worry about stuff like that. Because he's a DOCTOR and who isn't attracted to a male doc, right?

lol did anyone imagine a bald indian dude crying himself to sleep thinking he was gonna be drowning in chicks when he graduates?

Not bald, but I too am Forever Alone.

The Indian dudes in this thread will know what we mean. To American women, Indian doctors are 4s. To Indian women we're 10s, haha.

On another note, there aren't too many married people in my class, but they're around.

The Indian dudes in this thread will know what we mean. To American women, Indian doctors are 4s. To Indian women we're 10s, haha.

On another note, there aren't too many married people in my class, but they're around.

Maybe you should move to India after residency? There is like a billion people over there, gotta be some wife material there...

What are American doctors to Indian women? :naughty:

Sad, but true my fellow brethren.

Lucky for me my Indian gf looks good by international standards. :naughty:

And before you ask, fark off JP, you ain't gettin no pics. :laugh:

this your minivan OP?

Crazy-Cat-Lady1.jpg