Final School Decisions!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
randersen said:
Most have already converted over. The difference is 2 or 3 yrs. 2 yr surgical residents will not be able to sit for the rear foot board certification. That is a big deal to most students.

Can I ask you if you are pre-med/student/resident/doc?

Actually, I took the time to do a little study this morning at the CASR 2006 Program Summary Chart and put some numbers into Excel. Had to go through 15 pages of it, but the results were interesting. I tried to reproduce a chart here. Hopefully it will look OK, but I had to spread it over three rows. "No. Places" means number of institutions. "Total Positions" includes the total number approved, but in some cases the number funded is different. "Avg No." means average number of positions per institution. For residencies like RPR/PSR12, where there were 2 of each at a particular residency (2 each RPR and PSR12) they were simply counted together. Keep in mind that in the case of an institution with PPMR residecy slots, often there were several PPMR slots and fewer PSR12 or PSR 24 positions at the same institution. Those were counted separately. So, one could argue that the total number is slightly inflated. All that aside, the 2006 residencies look like this:

PM&S24 PM&S36 RPR RPR/PSR12 RPR/PSR24
Total Positions 63 125 18 25 33
No. Places 28 59 5 14 17
Avg No. 2.3 2.1 3.6 1.8 1.9

RPR/PSR24+ PSR24+ PPMR/PSR12 PPMR/PSR24 POR
Total Positions 15 53 12 11 7
No. Places 6 26 7 5 2
Avg No. 2.5 2 1.7 2.2 3.5

POR/PSR12 PSR24 PSR12 PPMR Totals
Total Positions 1 56 25 59 503
No. Places 1 30 10 16 226
Avg No. 1 1.9 2.5 3. 2.2

You can see that the largest number of institutions (and individual residencies) are PM&S 36, but at an average of only about two positions per residency they make up a small total number. Of the 503 total positions, only 188 have actually converted to the new model for 2006. However, if you include PSR24+ and PSR24 (which assume an "intern" year) in the "3-Year" category, 293 of 503 (58%) of the current residencies are basically 3-Year surgical residencies. Obviously, the model will change somewhat, but it would make sense for most of the 24 and 24+ residencies to convert to PM&S36.

Members don't see this ad.

I spoke in August with a member of the APMA board. The predicted number of residency slots after the conversion is complete is as follows:

PM&S-36: 360
PM&S-24: 160

Since there was a question about residency programs interview process, I want to bring up another issue. If you know what area where you would like to do your residency program training and there is a podiatry school in that area, it might not be bad idea to consider going to the podiatry school in the same city. The reason why I say that is that podiatry students from that school may do rotations with that residency program and would give those students a "slight" advantage in getting into that residency program. For example, DMU students do rotation at Broadlawns Podiatry Residency Program. Hence, it would make sense that the DMU students that rotated through Broadlawns will have a slightly better chance since the attendings at Broadlawns already know the students. This is also true for various residency programs in Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco / Oakland, Miami, Cleveland, New York / Northern NJ. This does NOT mean that it applies to all of the programs in those areas. Again, I said that this would only "slightly" increase your chances with that residency program because there are many other factors that the residency program may be evaluating besides the time that the student spent at that hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, I've heard the same...very good thing to keep in mind.

dpmgrad said:
Since there was a question about residency programs interview process, I want to bring up another issue. If you know what area where you would like to do your residency program and there is a podiatry school in that area, it might not be bad idea to consider going to the podiatry school in the same city. The reason why I say that is that podiatry students from that school may do rotations with that residency program and would give you a "slight" advantage in getting into that residency program. For example, DMU students do rotation at Broadlawns Podiatry Residency Program. Hence, it would make sense that the DMU students that rotated through Broadlawns will have a slightly better chance since the attendings at Broadlawns already know the students. This is also true for various residency programs in Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco / Oakland, Miami, Cleveland, New York / Northern NJ. This does NOT mean that it applies to all of the programs in those areas. Again, I said that this would only "slightly" increase your chances with that residency program because there are many other factors that the residency program may be evaluating besides the time that the student spent at that hospital.

"All I am saying is that you may have to work harder on your own at one school to get the education of another."

That is no lie!!!!!!!

You don't want to do podiatry as a self-taught rubber stamped education.

Go where they TEACH.

Are you saying you know of somewhere where "they dont teach?" Which schools fall into this category?

whiskers said:
"All I am saying is that you may have to work harder on your own at one school to get the education of another."

That is no lie!!!!!!!

You don't want to do podiatry as a self-taught rubber stamped education.

Go where they TEACH.

I once taught my dog to eat a steak.

It was really pretty easy, so I decided to try to teach it English using the same method I used to teach it to eat the steak.

Needless to say, we're still practicing for our big debut; but it's grammar has really improved.

Right, well thanks..neat story, but doesnt explain your claim that some schools dont actually teach. Anything to back up your statement?

whiskers said:
I once taught my dog to eat a steak.

It was really pretty easy, so I decided to try to teach it English using the same method I used to teach it to eat the steak.

Needless to say, we're still practicing for our big debut. But it's grammar has really improved.
:) :)

You can't see the irony in my post relating to the rest of the thread?

Context....."my school is better than your school because ________."

Be true to your school!

Maybe I should have added a "you" to the end of teach..... So here it is.....

"Go where they TEACH (you).

Back to my "neat" story, my dog really needs more work, any suggestions?

Lol

Alright...irony is fine -but the thread isnt really about not being true to "your" school - its just opinions about how the school's differ...as my intention for the thread was to gather that info and see how diff people viewed the schools before I made my "final decision." I dont think one should have to teach themselves podiatry - but no school will require one to do so...thus, its a matter of what fits your own personality and will best suit the individual's learning styles. Ok, maybe we are arguing the same point? hmmm..anyway, good luck with your dog

whiskers said:
You can't see the irony in my post relating to the rest of the thread?

Context....."my school is better than your school because ________."

Be true to your school!

Maybe I should have added a "you" to the end of teach..... So here it is.....

"Go where they TEACH (you).

Back to my "neat" story, my dog really needs more work, any suggestions?

Lol

runnersfeet said:
Ok, maybe we are arguing the same point? hmmm..anyway, good luck with your dog

I don't think you two were arguing the same point at all. "Whiskers" is still arguing about the death of podiatry because of old tests floating around podiatry schools from a thread some time back. I don't think there was any sincerity in his post. Ignore it.

I agree, he (it) has a few screws missing - I think he (it) may be a bit bitter about life....and who chooses "Whiskers" as a screen name anyway? haha

scpod said:
I don't think you two were arguing the same point at all. "Whiskers" is still arguing about the death of podiatry because of old tests floating around podiatry schools from a thread some time back. I don't think there was any sincerity in his post. Ignore it.

"Have you recently attended all 8 pod schools? no? Catch the net weirdo - nobody likes your advice..its plain odd and annoying."

It may be annoying and irritating to those who are are already "in" and like a good challenge..... Hehe...

Instead, my advice is better suited for the gaggle pod wannabes who are trying to make a very difficult decision that will impact their entire future.

It may be difficult to face this single reality; those pod wannabes will be paying big money for an education and maybe, just maybe, they should have very high expectations not only for themselves but also for their selected educational institution and the profession in general?????

It is my hope that they will consider how serious they are about their own academics and select a school that will give them the appropriate personal challenge so that they will do welll both on the boards and ultimately be the most competent PROFESSIONAL that they can be.

There could be nothing more professionally rewarding in my opinion than knowing that you are resepected not because you are a doctor, but because you really know your $#%^ from every angle, inside and out.... And that doesn't and shouldn't come free.

Plus it doesn't hurt when the rest of the profession is viewed in the same way.

One final thought....

Face it, patients are more informed than ever and a great many can spot a hack.

What could be worse than to have a diabetic patient who researched his or her disease, learned a little biochem, histology, microbiology etc and was astounded by what the "doc" just didn't know???

Being a net weirdo?

lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
runnersfeet where have you decided on going, if you don't go to scpm then a seat will open up, i am thinking about going to scpm or tuspm.

I am very near deciding on AZPOD - driving out there next week to check it out for a final time before I commit. Are the seats at Scholl filling quickly? Have you been offered a spot there and temple? I love Scholl - but for me, AZPOD is slightly better. I will definitely write in when I make my decision:)

ppormansdoormd said:
runnersfeet where have you decided on going, if you don't go to scpm then a seat will open up, i am thinking about going to scpm or tuspm.

runnersfeet said:
I am very near deciding on AZPOD - driving out there next week to check it out for a final time before I commit. Are the seats at Scholl filling quickly? Have you been offered a spot there and temple? I love Scholl - but for me, AZPOD is slightly better. I will definitely write in when I make my decision:)

well, i have an interview at temple on 01/09, i am waiting to hear from scholl next week, i will probably withdraw my application from nycpm, i am thinking about going to either temple or scholl if they accept, i am waiting to receive interview information from ocpm which will probably come on monday, the problem is i am going on vacation from 12/26 to 01/10 to new jersey, so if scholl calls me i won't be home but a couple of my family members will but i am definitely considering going there. ocpm is closest to my home in michigan so that's always a possibility. i have also been waitlisted at the michigan state university college of osteopathic medicine. that is my number #1 choice. if they accept me there is a very good chance i will go there, although podiatry is something i am very interested in. so i will have to make tough decisions it seems like.

I just thought I would update and tell you all that I have now commited to AZPOD! I am very excited! I went out there last week to check it out again confirm my previous thoughts. It definitely fits me and is perfect for what I want. I love the faculty, campus, and their mentality out there! Let me know if anyone else has commited to AZPOD - I know their class for next year is mostly full now!

ppormansdoormd said:
well, i have an interview at temple on 01/09, i am waiting to hear from scholl next week, i will probably withdraw my application from nycpm, i am thinking about going to either temple or scholl if they accept, i am waiting to receive interview information from ocpm which will probably come on monday, the problem is i am going on vacation from 12/26 to 01/10 to new jersey, so if scholl calls me i won't be home but a couple of my family members will but i am definitely considering going there. ocpm is closest to my home in michigan so that's always a possibility. i have also been waitlisted at the michigan state university college of osteopathic medicine. that is my number #1 choice. if they accept me there is a very good chance i will go there, although podiatry is something i am very interested in. so i will have to make tough decisions it seems like.

Congrats, and good luck it is definitely a good school.

Congratulations to both runnersfeet and gsrimport on their decision to enroll in the AZPOD school. I wish both of you the best of luck. Remember, if you work hard, do your best at school, and learn as much as you can, you will be able to obtain whatever residency program you want.

Thanks! Im very excited!

psionic_blast said:
Congrats, and good luck it is definitely a good school.

Thanks! I have definitely felt assured of that from reputable residency directors, many of whom I would love to work for in the future. Im very much looking forward to starting school!

dpmgrad said:
Congratulations to both runnersfeet and gsrimport on their decision to enroll in the AZPOD school. I wish both of you the best of luck. Remember, if you work hard, do your best at school, and learn as much as you can, you will be able to obtain whatever residency program you want.