Final School List– Suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theNDhopeful44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
512 MCAT (130/124/128/130)
3.82 GPA
3.80 sGPA
I can send you my resume upon request (de-identified, of course)
OH resident
Rising Tufts senior

Ohio State
Toledo
Wright St.
NEOMED
Cincinnati
CWRU
CCLCM
Albany
Einstein
NYMC
Cornell
Columbia
SUNY Upstate
Stony Brook
Rochester
Tufts
BU
Harvard (for kicks)
GWU
Georgetown
Rush
Brown
Dartmouth
Emory
Miami
Quinnipiac
Mayo
Creighton
Wake Forest
MCW

Members don't see this ad.

This list seems solid to me! You have a lot of reaches on there but I expect you will get some love from your IS OH schools, which means it's less risky for you to apply to some of those reaches (you'll most likely get into at least one OH school and have that has a strong option).

If you haven't submitted your primary yet you need to do so ASAP. If you have submitted and you're just deciding what schools to add, then go ahead and submit!
Make sure you have the LOR requirements for each of the schools before you apply (I usually use HMS as the "most" LORs you need: 2 science, 1 non-science, all PIs from research).

Good luck!

What are some more solid schools to add to the reaches/what are the reaches you see here? Other than Harvard

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are your current reaches:

Case Western
CCLCM
Einstein
Cornell
Columbia
Rochester
BU
Harvard
Brown
Dartmouth
Emory
Mayo

However, assuming your application is solid, you should see interview invites from several of the Ohio schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's where I think schools fall for you:
Fits:
Ohio State
Toledo
Wright St.
NEOMED
Cincinnati
Albany
NYMC
SUNY Upstate - you're OOS here and they don't accept that many OOS
Stony Brook - you're OOS here and they don't accept that many OOS
GWU
Georgetown
Rush
Quinnipiac
Creighton
Wake Forest
MCW
Tufts

Reaches:
CWRU
CCLCM
Einstein
Cornell
Columbia
Rochester
BU
Harvard
Brown - reach because you didn't go there for undergrad
Dartmouth
Emory
Miami
Mayo

Looks like WedgeDawg and I are on pretty much the same page!

So is my list too top-heavy..?
Yes and no... you have a ton of reaches, but like we said you have very good IS options (and a lot of them) so they are your best shots at an acceptance. Plus, you're more likely to attend the schools that offer IS tuition than a lower-tier private and expensive OOS MD school. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you have a lot of "what if" or "for kicks" schools, but I still think you will land at least one acceptance this cycle given your strong IS options. That said, if you're looking to get rid of some schools, then take them off the "reach" list first.

Can someone suggest some schools to replace some of the reaches with?

Go through MSAR and find a few more OOS friendly schools with an MCAT median around 32 that get <11k apps. Jefferson, Oakland and SLU might be the first few I look at here.

Einstein and MCW Creighton are fine from your list above.
If you dont have solid research experience I might consider cutting Wake but you can keep it if you want it as well.
NYMC Albany and GW arent particularly high yield options but if you want to keep them that's fine.
Rush's average matriculant is at around 800 service and 1800 clinical hours. If you are well off that, another good option to cut.
Tufts might not be the highest yield option for you but you can keep it if you want also.

Ohio is a good state. AT 3.8/32 you should get IIs if the non academic parts of your app are fine. If you can interview decently you should be fine. So really you dont need that many OOS schools. Einstein Tufts MCW and Creighton are solid OOS options from your list above. Pick a few more like them and you should be good to go. In your position, it's fine to have some reaches. I would also think about which schools you know going in you would strongly consider turning down for your state schools and that cheap tuition vs which you know you wont. While it's good to have a few more OOS Plan B type options in case the state schools fall through, you are in a solid enough position you can and should consider which schools you would vs wouldnt turn down your state schools for.

Last edited:
Go through MSAR and find a few more OOS friendly schools with an MCAT median around 32 that get <11k apps. Jefferson, Oakland and SLU might be the first few I look at here.

Einstein and MCW Creighton are fine from your list above.
If you dont have solid research experience I might consider cutting Wake but you can keep it if you want it as well.
NYMC Albany and GW arent particularly high yield options but if you want to keep them that's fine.
Rush's average matriculant is at around 800 service and 1800 clinical hours. If you are well off that, another good option to cut.
Tufts might not be the highest yield option for you but you can keep it if you want also.

Ohio is a good state. AT 3.8/32 you should get IIs if the non academic parts of your app are fine. If you can interview decently you should be fine. So really you dont need that many OOS schools. Einstein Tufts MCW and Creighton are solid OOS options from your list above. Pick a few more like them and you should be good to go. In your position, it's fine to have some reaches. I would also think about which schools you know going in you would strongly consider turning down for your state schools and that cheap tuition vs which you know you wont. While it's good to have a few more OOS Plan B type options in case the state schools fall through, you are in a solid enough position you can and should consider which schools you would vs wouldnt turn down your state schools for.
Okay. So in addition to those few (Einstein etc.) what other OOS programs should I look into?

Okay. So in addition to those few (Einstein etc.) what other OOS programs should I look into?

Refer to my first sentence above, Jefferson Oakland and SLU are probably the first ones I would look at. Go through MSAR using criteria similar to the one I listed to find more potential options