Finally Osteopathic name change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sonic Wig

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all you who thought changing the name of osteopathic was unfaithful, MD envy or what ever ignorant idea, UHS changes its name to Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences. They changed the name because they felt it reflected a broader version of their mission. It is not unfaithful to the DO profession, it reflects an expanded version of the school. The DO name will soon change to reflect the new broader updated name for what osteopathic medical doctors do and deserve. Go to their website, check it out.

Members don't see this ad.

Sonic Wig said:
The DO name will soon change to reflect the new broader updated name for what osteopathic medical doctors do and deserve. Go to their website, check it out.

Huh? There is currently nothing that I am aware of before the powers that be at the AOA to change the name of the granted degree...Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine....to anything else. Could you site some evidence showing that a name change 'will [happen] soon'?

-Ryan

I don't think a school changing its name is the start for the Osteopathic physicians initials changing...

What would it change to? O.P.? Wouldn't really make a difference anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Clearly, UHS doesn't share your view, if a name change to the school doesn't make a difference in reflecting their expanded mission, I'm sure they would have left it alone. Yes, name change does make a difference, that is why there are people lobbying to expand the name to reflect a less out dated name.

Before it was KCUMB, it was UHS, and before it was UHS it was Kansas city college of osteopathic medicine. KCUMB has a history of name changes.

Besides the "broader mission" is a focus on research, not an attempt to alter the title of D.O. KCUMB is starting a MS and PhD program in biomedical sciences and has recently built a pretty kickass research building. They are also a member of the Kansas City Biomedical research consortium (or something like that) which includes the likes of University of Kansas Med School, University of Missouri - Kansas City med/dental school, and the Stowers institute (which totally KICKS ASS).

All in all it's a great step for a DO school to take. I hope others will follow suit.

something you may also want to know, kcumb still has the ending tag of " -com " ... just like before, and just like all osteopathic schools do. so just because they changed the name of the university, does not mean they changed the name of the degreee.

additionally, the name change to the university itself was long coming from what i understand. there was some confusion for people unfamiliar with the different schools because the names were very similar. so this name sets it apart. additionally, as has been revealed above, the name was to show a broader focus in healthcare. this was something that was in the works for many years, but truely only now is coming to fruition.

D.O. --> B.T.M.D. (better than MD)

Sonic Wig said:
For all you who thought changing the name of osteopathic was unfaithful, MD envy or what ever ignorant idea, UHS changes its name to Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences. They changed the name because they felt it reflected a broader version of their mission. It is not unfaithful to the DO profession, it reflects an expanded version of the school. The DO name will soon change to reflect the new broader updated name for what osteopathic medical doctors do and deserve. Go to their website, check it out.

Name change in school doesn't necesarrily mean they're going to change the degree name...

Sonic Wig said:

Did the voices in your head tell you this?

The school changed the name secretly in october, search for the name on the internet, they changed the name for the better. It's better than University of Health Sciences cause there are 7 schools with that name. At least this way its specific to KC, plus they did it cause they are pushing research like TCOM both sciences and Osteopathic. I like the new name, I came to the school and didn't even know of a plan to change it. Its officially called Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences with 2 schools now, College of Osteopathic Medicine and College of Biosciences which offers a Masters Degree in 2005 and a PhD degree starting 2008. I think the name will give more credit to the professors who do research at our school. At first some people thought they'd change the Degree too, but the prez talked to the class and a majority of our clincians and deans are DO's and very few MDs so it would be impossible to change the degree anyway.

The medical school within the university is still "College of Osteopathic Medicine." The reason the university changed the name was because the university encompasses more than the osteopathic school. It doesn't suggest anything about changing the "osteopathic" name.

if you guys wish to be MD then go to allopathic schools.

When I was in NYCOM, few idiots wanted their DO degree changed to MDO medical doctor of ostepathy...

I was this is ridiculous.....

Why you guys are not grateful
if you got into DO do it DO and do it well.

Besides complaining about some degree issue try to read more, see more patients and try to appreciate that you are a Physician....

And, this is recognized worldwide...there is a famous DO transplant surgeon in Univ of Nebraska..one of greatest and busiest multiorgan transplant centers in the world....and this man is everywhere giving lectures...

I have seen how he lectured in some prestigious medical school abroad like in Japan and he is well respected...

So what is so wrong with you guys all.....

That guy graduated in surgery residency when DOs were still looked down, and look where he is at right now...I don't know even of many MDs who have achieved that much so what is the problem I wonder..

The problem is if you were rejected from MD and you did not want to attend some caribbean school (nothing wrong with caribbean schools in my opinion no offense intended) and you did DO then I think you should be thankful....that you are in a school that will give you an opportunity to become a licensed physician...

let's grow up folks....
Please

From very proud to be an Osteopathic Physician working hard to make a difference in this world....

Sonic Wig said:

...yeah, don't get all misty b/c uhs-COM is now kcumb-COM. They're just adding in a few more programs. And "Kansas City" needed to be in the name.

And KCUMB has great marketing. It's fabulously fabulous, with a broader mission and an exciting dynamic. btw, that's me being facetious!

M.
KCUMB 2006

TCOM did this years ago. They changed their name to The University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth, which includes the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, the PA program, the School of Public Health, and the School of Biomedical Sciences. We have a research division, a huge library, a patient care center, and a hospital. We also just built a new 6 story huge research and public health building and our campus rivals any MD institution in the state other than UTSW.

TCOM is considered to be a very good school...
One of few State sponsored DO schools like Michigan and NJ ones....

But, any school is good if you want to succeed...

I had very students from Ross who matched in great places but they worked hard...I recommended them since they were not lazy.....

I may get burn for saying this but they say NYCOM is the Hopkins of all DO schools...hahahahahaha

I would say I attended JOhns Hopkins School of Osteopathic Medicine....wow coool indeed..