finished my part 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi,
i prefer CBT.becos there were a lot of repetitions when i wrote and i am not sure abt the new format becos i took my exam almost an year ago.
CBT has its own disadvantages but overall i would advice you to take CBT

preetno said:
hi
u ve got a great score......ive read the previous posts ......i want to know wat is best.....cbt or paper exam.....im planning to give in july dis yr...but after reading....want to give cbt......please guide......and someone wrote of new format.......clinical application quest.........need all help

Members don't see this ad.

hi,
i dont have the material.i gave it to my friend.
patelashish1981 said:
hey arvind r u gone sale your kaplan material ,if yes plz let me know the prize and what all things u got.

hi,
BRS(board review series) is like a textbook.to be more specific like kaplan review notes.i got it from my friend.but i am sure you will find it with somebody who is preparing for USMLE.well if you can read the text books nothing like that.but i dont think we will have enough time to read from the text books and later revise.so i would advice you to read from kaplan review notes which covers most of the stuff.
You will have to refer text books for
Anatomy-Head and neck only.rest you can read from kaplan.
dental anat-Wheelers.you need to be perfect with this text.
I never went through the unreleased papers and i am not sure abt it.
But i feel no harm in solving the past papers
I hope i answered most of ur questions.
Arvind
i
ginna said:
hi arvind buddula,
first accept my congratulation's !It's really a wonderful score! I too want to achieve this score so plz guide me if I am on the right direction. I was going thru your post and found very useful but confused in one thing. you have mentioned about the ''BOARD REVIEW SERIES''----Is it a question bank or the papers and from where I can buy this book.I am planning to take exam in the month of may 2005 and I have just finished the half part of dental anatomy.I have the dental decks,asda papers but not the kaplan review .I am mostly reading thru the books so,is it useful to buy the kapllan review book or the text books are enough.One morething are unreleased papers also useful.

ginna

Members don't see this ad :)
hey aravind,I wanna really thank you about this thread, it is really useuful,well I'm having my board exam part 1 tommorow,I'm really nervous,I went through the past exam like 3 times and the decks also 3 times,and I was studying from textbooks,wheelers D.anatomy,, Grants G.anatomy..... I hope this will work... any way wish me luck guys...
I have a question for you... is there any break between each exam?and is there any timer in the pc in front of you?
if u have any advice for me or any tip for tomorrow i will be happy to hear it from you
thanks again
and good luck

bikoberry said:
hey aravind,I wanna really thank you about this thread, it is really useuful,well I'm having my board exam part 1 tommorow,I'm really nervous,I went through the past exam like 3 times and the decks also 3 times,and I was studying from textbooks,wheelers D.anatomy,, Grants G.anatomy..... I hope this will work... any way wish me luck guys...
I have a question for you... is there any break between each exam?and is there any timer in the pc in front of you?
if u have any advice for me or any tip for tomorrow i will be happy to hear it from you
thanks again
and good luck

all the best for your exam .
there is an hour beak between the 2 sections . after the hr is over the next section will automatically begin .
there is a timer on the PC.. so u know exactly how much time u have remaining.
do well..!!
toothie

WHAT PREPARATION DO YOU MAKE IN BIOCHEMISTRY, DON'T YOU THINK IT'S A VERY DIFFICULT SUBJECT. :confused:

hi!
ur scores were coooooooooooool!!!!!
will u let me know is head n neck enough for anat or we need to do whole body as u know we guys do only head n neck...i am just worried if we have to do whole body anat...which book did u reff for micro, biochem, path?
in dental anat do we have to cover all histology from orbans or wheelers is enough?plz reply bye

hi,
not sure how it is now but when i wrote i had a 30 min break after two sections.
first was anat then a 5 min break and then physio biochem.and then 30 min break and then the two other sections.
there will be a timer in the PC so need not worry abt it.you will have a 5 min alert too.
just relax and dont do any silly mistakes.i am sure you are adequately prepared and u willdo well.
Arvind
bikoberry said:
thanks again
and good luck

hello,
i read biochem from kaplan and dental decks.and did the past papers well.
yes people say that its tough these days.but biochem was my strong subject.i scored 99 in biochem physio.if ur basics are weak then i would advice you to refer lippincott.
myra1972 said:
WHAT PREPARATION DO YOU MAKE IN BIOCHEMISTRY, DON'T YOU THINK IT'S A VERY DIFFICULT SUBJECT. :confused:

hi,
basically we need to cover the whole body.but should be thorough in head and neck.read chaurasia for head and neck.it is very useful.
for rest read kaplan.they covered other structures well like the heart abdomen and limbs.need not read in depth but read whatever is there in kaplan.
for micro-kaplan
biochem-kaplan
path-kaplan and board review series.
we have to cover wheelers perfectly.orbans -just go through once.its pretty easy and u can finish it very fast.i hope i answered all ur questions.
arvind
nishu said:
hi!
ur scores were coooooooooooool!!!!!
will u let me know is head n neck enough for anat or we need to do whole body as u know we guys do only head n neck...i am just worried if we have to do whole body anat...which book did u reff for micro, biochem, path?
in dental anat do we have to cover all histology from orbans or wheelers is enough?plz reply bye

hi aravind,

your part 1 scores r excellent.congratulations to u.i just cant imagine how much of hard work u must have put in.

excellent job,hats off to u :thumbup:

did u write part 2? if so, how much did u score ?and how did u prepare ,what books,materials did u study etc?ur help is really appreciated.

which school did you join?

thanks in advance.

aravind buddula said:
hi,
not sure how it is now but when i wrote i had a 30 min break after two sections.
first was anat then a 5 min break and then physio biochem.and then 30 min break and then the two other sections.
there will be a timer in the PC so need not worry abt it.you will have a 5 min alert too.
just relax and dont do any silly mistakes.i am sure you are adequately prepared and u willdo well.
Arvind

hi..
i took my exam last month and
im sure there is an hr break now in between the 2 sections . i.e. anat /physio and path/ DA . there isnt any break between anat and physio . the computer timing is combined for the first 200 questions i.e 3.30 hrs. same for second session.
i think they must have changed the timings since u gave the exam.
toothie

Members don't see this ad :)
toothie said:
hi..
i took my exam last month and
im sure there is an hr break now in between the 2 sections . i.e. anat /physio and path/ DA . there isnt any break between anat and physio . the computer timing is combined for the first 200 questions i.e 3.30 hrs. same for second session.
i think they must have changed the timings since u gave the exam.
toothie
Toothie,

For the afternoon session, can you do the dental anatomy first then do the micro/patho? Or if you finish Micro/patho earlier, let's say you still got 20 mins, can you use this 20 mins to do the micro/patho? Because I heard the time for DA is not enough, is that right? Thanks in advance for your reply.

hi,
i wrote my part 2 .i got material from my friend and it was mostly dental decks and past papers.didnt really have time for part 2 as i had to send my scores to TUFTS.
i joined TUFTS which for me is among the best
arvind
shaliraj said:
hi aravind,

your part 1 scores r excellent.congratulations to u.i just cant imagine how much of hard work u must have put in.

excellent job,hats off to u :thumbup:

did u write part 2? if so, how much did u score ?and how did u prepare ,what books,materials did u study etc?ur help is really appreciated.

which school did you join?

thanks in advance.

ying said:
Toothie,

For the afternoon session, can you do the dental anatomy first then do the micro/patho? Or if you finish Micro/patho earlier, let's say you still got 20 mins, can you use this 20 mins to do the micro/patho? Because I heard the time for DA is not enough, is that right? Thanks in advance for your reply.
the time available for anat and physio is combined.i.e. you can go back and forth to the respective subjects within that stipulated amount of time.same applies for micropath and dental anat in the second section.what they mean by saying that there's not enough time for dental anat is because there is a lot of visualization and brain needs to be applied.otherwise its up to you to do dental anat first or micropath.

aravind buddula said:
hi,
i wrote my part 2 .i got material from my friend and it was mostly dental decks and past papers.didnt really have time for part 2 as i had to send my scores to TUFTS.
i joined TUFTS which for me is among the best
arvind
congrats aravind i know i read somewhere that your scores were fanatastic.congratulations.i've a question for youi.i scored 89% in my part 1.tufts says that they accept people only with scores above 90.but someone on the forum has mentioned that she knows someone who got in to tufts with part 1score less that 90.what do you say.does that mean that you can't apply if the score is less or will they accept the application.plus did you have to take a clinical exam???thanx!!!!!!!!

can I have a sheet of paper and pencil? is it possible? for the CBT part 1

hi,
they prefer people with score above 90 but i am sure they do consider applications with scores around 90.may be if you have good part 2 scores they might consider you.there is no clinical exam in tufts.try to get a good part 2 score.i am postive that they will call you for interview.
blacktooth said:
congrats aravind i know i read somewhere that your scores were fanatastic.congratulations.i've a question for youi.i scored 89% in my part 1.tufts says that they accept people only with scores above 90.but someone on the forum has mentioned that she knows someone who got in to tufts with part 1score less that 90.what do you say.does that mean that you can't apply if the score is less or will they accept the application.plus did you have to take a clinical exam???thanx!!!!!!!!

bikoberry said:
can I have a sheet of paper and pencil? is it possible? for the CBT part 1
yes they will give you and after finishing your test you'll have to return it

aravind buddula said:
hi,
i prefer CBT.becos there were a lot of repetitions when i wrote and i am not sure abt the new format becos i took my exam almost an year ago.
CBT has its own disadvantages but overall i would advice you to take CBT
thanks for reply....ill give cbt

preetno said:
thanks for reply....ill give cbt

my personal experiance with CBT is there wernt any repeats from old papers except for about 10-12 questions in anat.

toothie said:
my personal experiance with CBT is there wernt any repeats from old papers except for about 10-12 questions in anat.

Oh really :mad:
and what was ur score?
what's about the dental deck?
is all the questions are new,, u haven't seen them before? :scared:

hi aravind,

could u post ur part 2 scores please?

thanks for ur response.

bikoberry said:
Oh really :mad:
and what was ur score?
what's about the dental deck?
is all the questions are new,, u haven't seen them before? :scared:

my score was 94.
i found all questions to be new.
there were no direct questions from the decks or even from the explanations behind the card.
the topics may have been similar but the questions were twisted that u had to know ure subject in order to answer. i personally felt , path / micro questions were very tough. esp micro .
the basic thing is u need to know ure subject . know ure matter.
if u dont know a particular topic.. read in detail ferom text.
whether CBT or PBT doesnt matter , as long as u know ure subject ulll do well.
toothie

ying said:
Toothie,

ure right the time for DA is not adequate cause one is tired by teh end of the exam and u have to use my mind while solving the occlusion questions.
the drawback of CBT is that we cant do the DA section first unless u skip all 100 path / micro questions complete DA and then come back to path . i thought that would be a waste of time skipping each question so i quickly answered whatever i knew in path / micro , took about an hour . completed the DA/ occlusion . took my time and then came back and solved the 20 odd questions that i had marked in path / micro plus had time to revise all 200 questions again. but there are people who take the pains to skip all 100 questions do DA and then come back to Path / micro.
toothie

Hello Aravind,
Congrats on getting such a gud score. Ur tips were really helpful. Can u plz suggest me if i shud join the kaplan coaching for NBD I preparation or else the material from kaplan is sufficient. And regarding the text books for the basic sciences & dental anatomy, plz let me know which r the best to follow. Can i mail u if i require some more details regarding the NBD exam preparation. I wish u all the best in ur future endeavours :thumbup:

Regards

hello,
i would suggest you to read kaplan material instead of joining the course.but make sure you have all the material.
for anat-read chaurasia
dental anat-wheelers
for all other subjects kaplan material is enough.incase you are weak in biochem read lippincott.its an excellent text.
for physio and path read Board review series(BRS).it is very helpful
i dont mind you sending mails.all the best for your exam.
rekhamadhuri said:
Hello Aravind,
Congrats on getting such a gud score. Ur tips were really helpful. Can u plz suggest me if i shud join the kaplan coaching for NBD I preparation or else the material from kaplan is sufficient. And regarding the text books for the basic sciences & dental anatomy, plz let me know which r the best to follow. Can i mail u if i require some more details regarding the NBD exam preparation. I wish u all the best in ur future endeavours :thumbup:

Regards

toothie said:
my score was 94.
i found all questions to be new.
there were no direct questions from the decks or even from the explanations behind the card.
the topics may have been similar but the questions were twisted that u had to know ure subject in order to answer. i personally felt , path / micro questions were very tough. esp micro .
the basic thing is u need to know ure subject . know ure matter.
if u dont know a particular topic.. read in detail ferom text.
whether CBT or PBT doesnt matter , as long as u know ure subject ulll do well.
toothie

U r Absolutely Right.... I took the CBT part 1 yesterday,all the questions was new for me,, the anatomy and physiology was very tough very strange questions !!! :mad:
the micro/path were 20% only repeated questions.. and d.anatomy wasn't too bad...
How long does it take to know the result?
good luck to every one...

bikoberry said:
U r Absolutely Right.... I took the CBT part 1 yesterday,all the questions was new for me,, the anatomy and physiology was very tough very strange questions !!! :mad:
the micro/path were 20% only repeated questions.. and d.anatomy wasn't too bad...
How long does it take to know the result?
good luck to every one...

You get the result in 2-3 weeks. :thumbup:

rahmed

hi arvind
congratulations to u. i m doing my 2nd BDS from nagpur, india and i m planning to give it this year after my 2nd year. i want to know wat type of prerparation do i need to crack this part 1 exam? how much did u studied for it?
pls help me . i m eagerly waiting for ur reply.
my mail id is [email protected]

hi arvind
i want to know about getting visa. i m doing my 2nd year bds from india and i want give part 1 exam after me 2nd yr exam. when can i give the exam?is there any specific date or time for giving the exam? how can i get visa?
waiting for ur reply

hi arvind
congraets on ur great score..hope u got admitted to ur chosen school by now?
Is the Past papers & ASDA released question papers diffierent??? I thought they both are the same..
I am not sure if its a silly question..
Thanks
MS77

hi,
they are the same.all the best
ms77 said:
hi arvind
congraets on ur great score..hope u got admitted to ur chosen school by now?
Is the Past papers & ASDA released question papers diffierent??? I thought they both are the same..
I am not sure if its a silly question..
Thanks
MS77

hello,
you are not eligible to write the exam until ur done with ur final year and ur internship.
so u have a lot of time.almost three years for u to write ur part1.
may be it would be appropriate if you plan things in your final year.
mohitjain said:
hi arvind
i want to know about getting visa. i m doing my 2nd year bds from india and i want give part 1 exam after me 2nd yr exam. when can i give the exam?is there any specific date or time for giving the exam? how can i get visa?
waiting for ur reply

aravind buddula said:
hi ,
i had taken my part 1 in april and got 98.
anat-98
physio biochem-99
micro path -99
dental anat-94
people who wish to know the details can write to me.
right now i am having my end sem exams.will be free to answer from tomorrow.
arvind
hey arvind ....marvellous score......how did u achieve it .......let us know some study tips ........what all did u study other then kaplan and decks ......
do let us know ...........
bye ,sj

aravind buddula said:
hello,
i would suggest you to read kaplan material instead of joining the course.but make sure you have all the material.
for anat-read chaurasia
dental anat-wheelers
for all other subjects kaplan material is enough.incase you are weak in biochem read lippincott.its an excellent text.
for physio and path read Board review series(BRS).it is very helpful
i dont mind you sending mails.all the best for your exam.

Hi Aravind,
Thanq very much for the info. Can u tell me wat r BRS series, as i dont have any idea regarding them. & regarding the kaplan material can v buy it through the kaplan or through the students who have already completed their exam. Can u plz tell me as to how long did u take for the whole procedure that is from the starting, i mean preparation of all the documents for the exam till u gave it. And can u tell wat r the required or the essential information ( Documents ) that v need to collect from India to apply for the NBD part I exam procedure. All this seems so confusing, so kindly let me know.

Regards

If you go through the previous threads you'll be able to gather all the information you've asked for. All these topics have been discussed in detail . You can use the search engine.

aravind buddula said:
hi ,
i had taken my part 1 in april and got 98.
anat-98
physio biochem-99
micro path -99
dental anat-94
people who wish to know the details can write to me.
right now i am having my end sem exams.will be free to answer from tomorrow.
arvind
hi,Arvind.I took my part 1 in dec n got 94 .Which school r u in . I am trying for admission in UPEN.Good luck
sunita

hi,
got admission in tufts.will be joining in april
Sunita Kaul said:
hi,Arvind.I took my part 1 in dec n got 94 .Which school r u in . I am trying for admission in UPEN.Good luck
sunita

anyone plz answer this q.delicate membrane covering the crown of a newly errupted tooth is called? :confused:

kal_nag said:
anyone plz answer this q.delicate membrane covering the crown of a newly errupted tooth is called? :confused:

The membrane is called Nasmyth Membrane.. :D :D

Thanks

aravind buddula said:
hi,

Congratulations. :cool:

rahmed

aravind buddula said:
hi,
hi arvind,
gr8 score.i got a 91.do u think it'll b good enough to get admission? :confused: what was ur part2 score?which do u think is the best program 2 apply 4?good job & congrats again. :thumbup:

Hi Aravind,
Congratulations!Thats a fabulous score..
Iam also from HYD..but did my bds from b'lore..
Ur score is very inspiring!!
iam giving my part 1 in april .
could u suggest me some tips.

Roja

aravind buddula said:
hello,
you are not eligible to write the exam until ur done with ur final year and ur internship.
so u have a lot of time.almost three years for u to write ur part1.
may be it would be appropriate if you plan things in your final year.

hi,
should be good enough.well u can apply for BU,UPENN,UCSF,UCLA,UOP.if you are planning on taking stpe 2 then u can apply for TUFTS,LOMALINDA,UPITT.
most of the programs are good.it all depends on ur interest.
i am sure u have good chance in BU and if you have good clinical skills then u can get in any of the west coast schools.
All the best
balldan said:
hi arvind,
gr8 score.i got a 91.do u think it'll b good enough to get admission? :confused: what was ur part2 score?which do u think is the best program 2 apply 4?good job & congrats again. :thumbup:

hi,
if you go thru this thread it will answer most of ur questions.key is to revise and make sure u do decks and ASDA papers before u go for the exam.
dentb'lore said:
Hi Aravind,
Congratulations!Thats a fabulous score..
Iam also from HYD..but did my bds from b'lore..
Ur score is very inspiring!!
iam giving my part 1 in april .
could u suggest me some tips.

Roja

hi arvind,
Thanks! for clearing and giving the information.Could u plz once more guide me in bio chem. do I have to remember the formulla's of amino acids and as u gave the CBT , are there any qestions ?

ginna

hi,
nope.they dont ask you formulas of amino acids.but u have to remember which are acidic basic neutral and stuff.i mean acidophilic basophilic and basic structure of protein.
ginna said:
hi arvind,
Thanks! for clearing and giving the information.Could u plz once more guide me in bio chem. do I have to remember the formulla's of amino acids and as u gave the CBT , are there any qestions ?

ginna

aravind buddula said:
hi,
should be good enough.well u can apply for BU,UPENN,UCSF,UCLA,UOP.if you are planning on taking stpe 2 then u can apply for TUFTS,LOMALINDA,UPITT.
most of the programs are good.it all depends on ur interest.
i am sure u have good chance in BU and if you have good clinical skills then u can get in any of the west coast schools.
All the best
hi again,
thanx 4 the suggestion.could u give me a few tips on how to go about part2 prepn.im planning to giv it by the end of march.not much time left.i have the decks & relesed papers .what else needs to b refered?thanx in advance :)