Finishing college within 3 years and taking MCAT during the third year.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pwrliftr

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just to get this out the way- I know that I should take my time and make myself the best applicant possible, but I need help with this situation. Thank you

I’m a freshman bio major on a pre med track.

I was initially planning on finishing college within three years and going straight to med school right after(assuming I got in).

After talking to an advisor(giving me minimal help), I found out that the new MCAT is heavy on biochemistry, and that it is something I should know very well to get a good score(510+ IMO) on the MCAT.

Based on my current pace, I’m taking Bio 1&2 and chem1&2 in my first year. Then taking Orgo 1&2 and physics 1&2 my second year. Lastly my third year will be biochem 1&2.

Now with this path I won’t be able to take all my classes by the spring semester of my 2nd year which is when I should start studying for the MCAT.

I was thinking about doing summer classes, but the 2 main issues are: these prerequisites are already so difficult to take during a full semester, and I want to do summer internships and volunteer.

My second option is to complete college within three years> study and take the MCAT my third year(after taking all my classes, so I’m much better prepared), which means I’m going to med school after a year of graduating> allows me to have a “gap year” to do a masters degree and get more experience in the med field to help my application.

Has anyone successfully done a premed track within three yrs and gone to med school right after? (This is what I’m really trying to do)

Members don't see this ad.

Just to get this out the way- I know that I should take my time and make myself the best applicant possible, but I need help with this situation. Thank you

I’m a freshman bio major on a pre med track.

I was initially planning on finishing college within three years and going straight to med school right after(assuming I got in).

After talking to an advisor(giving me minimal help), I found out that the new MCAT is heavy on biochemistry, and that it is something I should know very well to get a good score(510+ IMO) on the MCAT.

Based on my current pace, I’m taking Bio 1&2 and chem1&2 in my first year. Then taking Orgo 1&2 and physics 1&2 my second year. Lastly my third year will be biochem 1&2.

Now with this path I won’t be able to take all my classes by the spring semester of my 2nd year which is when I should start studying for the MCAT.

I was thinking about doing summer classes, but the 2 main issues are: these prerequisites are already so difficult to take during a full semester, and I want to do summer internships and volunteer.

My second option is to complete college within three years> study and take the MCAT my third year(after taking all my classes, so I’m much better prepared), which means I’m going to med school after a year of graduating> allows me to have a “gap year” to do a masters degree and get more experience in the med field to help my application.

Has anyone successfully done a premed track within three yrs and gone to med school right after? (This is what I’m really trying to do)
Any help would be appreciated, I’m really stuck and would take any advice on the
3 year >med school track

Are you trying to do this because you want to save money or time?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's really tough to graduate in 3 years and to go to med school afterwards. I had the same initial plan as you, graduate in 3 years and take the MCAT second year but I pushed my application cycle back to be more successful. I'm now graduating in 3 and a half years and have a gap semester to relax.

Edit: If you have at least 12/15 things to fill in works & activities, at least 2 years of volunteering with the disadvantaged, significant clinical experience a 3.6 + GPA, and a 510+ MCAT (depending on your state of residence it might be 515+), then I can say don't hold yourself back and feel free to apply. For the vast majority of applicants they'll need at least 3-6 years to get to all of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
1) you havent given any compelling reason why you feel compelled to complete in 3 years
2) while you are asking if people go to medical school after 3 years of college, over 60% of successful applicants have at least 1 gap year
3) not only are hard courses even more intense and compressed in shortened summer term, they are looked down upon by medical schools in several prereqs are taken in this manner
4) with all this course work, attempts at volunteer, internships, when will you have time to prep for MCAT
5) applicants do not get accepted simply because of grades and MCAT, but they have the maturity and experiences to show they have the depth and understanding to enter the profession of medicine
6) instead of deciding of when you want to finish college, fit the MCAT in that, and oh how can I squeeze a required class into that preset time from, why dont you

a) first plan your course schedule
b) then plan your MCAT
c) then figure when to graduate and apply

7) applicants woefully underestimate the time it effort it takes to finish courses, take the MCAT, apply to medical school, all to be done at high level

I am always utterly astounded by supposedly high achieving students who assume a self-imposed timetable for applying, do not understand the process well enough to realize how much time they need to complete finishing prereqs, MCAT prep, and filling out in a highly polished way, the AMCAS Primary Application and 10-25 additional secondary applications, the reality of the chances and competition that getting an acceptee truly is

Here is my reasoning in outline form of what applicants should prioritize

Applying to Med School means:
*Illuminating your positives
*Minimizing your negatives
*Optimizing your chances with timing
*Reducing your risks
*Efficiency in doing your application
*Being the strongest first time applicant

The MCAT:
*Is weighted as much as GPA
*Should be considered at least a 6 credit course in time and work load
*Will stay with your forever
*Risk should be reduced by having the prereqs completed and sufficient time, energy, and focus to do well on it once

Filing out the Applications:
*is the AMCAS primary and 10-25 supplemental applications
*that need to be coherent, concise and compelling
*completed with high quality and in a highly polished way
*Has lengthy transcript entries, ECs and many, many multiple essays
*Should be considered a nearly full-time job from mid-May thru at least mid August
*Be completed early in the cyclr as to give applicants the most optimal timing

The data on applicants include:
*15 is the average number of applications
*40% with 3.8 GPA or higher dont get an acceptance
*60% with 3.6-3.8 GPA dont get an acceptance
*20% with MCAT 517 or higher dont get acceptance
*nearly 50% of matriculants get a single offer of acceptance
*So nearly 1/2 of acceptees have a 7% acceptance rate
*about 60% of matriculants took a gap year

Therefore in priorities:
*Complete prereqs and focus on GPA before attempting MCAT
*Put nearly 100% time, energy and focus into MCAT for 6-12 weeks or more. Complete the MCAT before starting AMCAS, optimally before the application cycle begins
*Put nearly 100% of time, energy and focus into the actual applications
*Begin application prep weeks or months before they open (Jan of application year)

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Not to derail the thread, but you mentioned summer classes being looked down upon. Can you elaborate on this? I thought schools look at pre reqs after acceptances? @gonnif

Not to derail the thread, but you mentioned summer classes being looked down upon. Can you elaborate on this? I thought schools look at pre reqs after acceptances? @gonnif
It's true that schools look at your classes from an admin perspective to ensure you're fulfilling their prerequisites. But it's also true that schools want to make sure you're well-prepared academically. Taking prerequisites at another college or during the summer can make it look like you're trying to get out of your college's rigorous semester courses. It depends on context of course and is probably less important than GPA, but it's definitely something adcoms consider.

It's true that schools look at your classes from an admin perspective to ensure you're fulfilling their prerequisites. But it's also true that schools want to make sure you're well-prepared academically. Taking prerequisites at another college or during the summer can make it look like you're trying to get out of your college's rigorous semester courses. It depends on context of course and is probably less important than GPA, but it's definitely something adcoms consider.
thanks for the info. I am planning on possibly taking ochem 1 and 2 over the summer, but at the same school I currently attend. Do you think that would look bad? Ochem is not required for my major so thats why I have to schedule it on my own time (summer).

To add,

From an admissions perspective, Adcom will look at where/when/how you did course work

For post-admissions / pre-matriculation, admissions staff will look to see if the prereqs fulfill the requirements

thanks for the info. I am planning on possibly taking ochem 1 and 2 over the summer, but at the same school I currently attend. Do you think that would look bad? Ochem is not required for my major so thats why I have to schedule it on my own time (summer).

Ochem in the summer is the prereq I advise applicants to avoid if possible

Ochem in the summer is the prereq I advise applicants to avoid if possible
I took organic chemistry 1 and 2 in the summer during my postbac. Despite having taken the classes before, it was incredibly difficult to do well and I would 100% not recommend it for students taking it for the first time, it's just too much.

I took organic chemistry 1 and 2 in the summer during my postbac. Despite having taken the classes before, it was incredibly difficult to do well and I would 100% not recommend it for students taking it for the first time, it's just too much.
I wrote the below about taking Organic Chem in Summer

Organic in the summer is high on my not to do list. I did it, repeated it from many years ago and had a good chemistry background. it beat me like an I was egg ready to be scrambled. Didn't help that it started on the monday right after spring term ended I had 3 exams and a comprehensive final in 5 weeks! I found I needed two days (ie whole weekend) to successfully understand a chapter. At 2 to 3 chapters a week it was nearly impossible! Even squeezing in extra studying time as I work from home and even with the professor giving exam problems almost directly out of the book, it was a bitch and a half! I barely got an A- out of it! My experience is best captured by the following blues song I wrote about it

I got 15 weeks of schoolin' but I'm doing it 5!
I said, I got 15 weeks of schoolin' but I'm doing it 5!
I study so much that I feel more dead than alive.

I don't know my mechanisms; reactions are killin' me!
I said, I don't know my mechanisms; reactions are killin' me!
I study so much, my eyes they hardly see.

Alkenes and Alkanes! Alkynes and Alcohols!
Oh there so much to knows but I can't knows it all!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
gonnif, that might be the most perfect description of orgo during the summer I've ever read.

Members don't see this ad :)
gonnif, that might be the most perfect description of orgo during the summer I've ever read.

This school had 3 summer terms so I went from ending Spring term on Friday May 12 to start Ochem the following monday with 5 weeks each of Ochem I, Ochem II and Biochem ending Friday Aug 25 followed with Fall term on Monday Aug 28th. I didnt take any labs but I had classmates who did. Brutal

This school had 3 summer terms so I went from ending Spring term on Friday May 12 to start Ochem the following monday with 5 weeks each of Ochem I, Ochem II and Biochem ending Friday Aug 25 followed with Fall term on Monday Aug 28th. I didnt take any labs but I had classmates who did. Brutal

I am your secret fan. I love the way you talk. People might think you are blunt sometimes, but you remind me of my father.

I mean, dad?

• Haha
I wrote the below about taking Organic Chem in Summer

Organic in the summer is high on my not to do list. I did it, repeated it from many years ago and had a good chemistry background. it beat me like an I was egg ready to be scrambled. Didn't help that it started on the monday right after spring term ended I had 3 exams and a comprehensive final in 5 weeks! I found I needed two days (ie whole weekend) to successfully understand a chapter. At 2 to 3 chapters a week it was nearly impossible! Even squeezing in extra studying time as I work from home and even with the professor giving exam problems almost directly out of the book, it was a bitch and a half! I barely got an A- out of it! My experience is best captured by the following blues song I wrote about it

I got 15 weeks of schoolin' but I'm doing it 5!

I don't know my mechanisms; reactions are killin' me!
I said, I don't know my mechanisms; reactions are killin' me!
I study so much, my eyes they hardly see.

Alkenes and Alkanes! Alkynes and Alcohols!
Oh there so much to knows but I can't knows it all!

so you would recommend not taking It over the summer for the sake of saving my GPA? lol

Are you trying to do this because you want to save money or time?

Time
I think it's really tough to graduate in 3 years and to go to med school afterwards. I had the same initial plan as you, graduate in 3 years and take the MCAT second year but I pushed my application cycle back to be more successful. I'm now graduating in 3 and a half years and have a gap semester to relax.

Edit: If you have at least 12/15 things to fill in works & activities, at least 2 years of volunteering with the disadvantaged, significant clinical experience a 3.6 + GPA, and a 510+ MCAT (depending on your state of residence it might be 515+), then I can say don't hold yourself back and feel free to apply. For the vast majority of applicants they'll need at least 3-6 years to get to all of that.
by doing 3 1/2 years, that still means you have to wait another 1/2 year for med school, right? Technically that’s 4 years total?

Any help would be appreciated, I’m really stuck and would take any advice on the
3 year >med school track
By rushing though this process, you're inviting mistakes that can take additional year(s) to fully fix. The road to medical school requires you to be smart about your decisions, not quick. So take your time to do things right the first time around. Your future self will thank you for it.

Edit: misinterpreted initial post, missed the part about the gap year. I would not recommend getting a masters during the gap year. You won't be able to take full advantage of it since you'll be traveling for interviews, it'll be expensive, and it will not significantly help your applications. There are better (and cheaper) ways to get exposure to the medical field. Just my thoughts

Last edited:
1) you havent given any compelling reason why you feel compelled to complete in 3 years
2) while you are asking if people go to medical school after 3 years of college, over 60% of successful applicants have at least 1 gap year
3) not only are hard courses even more intense and compressed in shortened summer term, they are looked down upon by medical schools in several prereqs are taken in this manner
4) with all this course work, attempts at volunteer, internships, when will you have time to prep for MCAT
5) applicants do not get accepted simply because of grades and MCAT, but they have the maturity and experiences to show they have the depth and understanding to enter the profession of medicine
6) instead of deciding of when you want to finish college, fit the MCAT in that, and oh how can I squeeze a required class into that preset time from, why dont you

b) then plan your MCAT

7) applicants woefully underestimate the time it effort it takes to finish courses, take the MCAT, apply to medical school, all to be done at high level

I am always utterly astounded by supposedly high achieving students who assume a self-imposed timetable for applying, do not understand the process well enough to realize how much time they need to complete finishing prereqs, MCAT prep, and filling out in a highly polished way, the AMCAS Primary Application and 10-25 additional secondary applications, the reality of the chances and competition that getting an acceptee truly is

*Reducing your risks

The MCAT:
*Risk should be reduced by having the prereqs completed and sufficient time, energy, and focus to do well on it once

*Should be considered a nearly full-time job from mid-May thru at least mid August

Therefore in priorities:
*Put nearly 100% time, energy and focus into MCAT for 6-12 weeks or more. Complete the MCAT before starting AMCAS, optimally before the application cycle begins
*Begin application prep weeks or months before they open (Jan of application year)
1)What if I were to graduate in 3 years, and focus on my gpa.

3)take the MCAT in the spring of the third year, which still means I’ll have a gap year, and I can give more time to studying.

2) during my gap year I can do an MBA(I want to have some sort of business related degree), and other shadowing or things that could help my application be better.

Can you explain what you did, how you did it, and what stage your in right now? Thank you

1)My plan b was to graduate in three years,

2) take MCAT in the spring semester of third year and apply to med school then.

While my application process is happening during my “4th year” which would be a gap year. I can do an MBA(I want to do it)

What do you think?

b) then plan your MCAT

*Reducing your risks

The MCAT:

Therefore in priorities:
I have to say, I really appreciate your no-nonsense advice. This was really solid.

Can you explain what you did, how you did it, and what stage your in right now? Thank you

1)My plan b was to graduate in three years,

2) take MCAT in the spring semester of third year and apply to med school then.

While my application process is happening during my “4th year” which would be a gap year. I can do an MBA(I want to do it)

What do you think?
1) Realistically you could not do an MBA in that "gap year". Good MBA programs scout students who have worked in business and have connections to top programs. You can only build that network if you spend undergrad in the business world leaving no time to pre-reqs. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

2) This is what we would call the traditional student in the past. For those who take 4 years to graduate there would be no gap year. For those who graduate in 3 years there would be a gap year.

By rushing though this process, you're inviting mistakes that can take additional year(s) to fully fix. The road to medical school requires you to be smart about your decisions, not quick. So take your time to do things right the first time around. Your future self will thank you for it.

Edit: misinterpreted initial post, missed the part about the gap year. I would not recommend getting a masters during the gap year. You won't be able to take full advantage of it since you'll be traveling for interviews, it'll be expensive, and it will not significantly help your applications. There are better (and cheaper) ways to get exposure to the medical field. Just my thoughts
I’m planning on staying close to home. Luckily I have 7 new schools within “drivable” distances. I know I should apply to more. But the reason I was thinking of an MBA was because a lot of people I know of took gap years and did an mba then got into me school the next year

I’m planning on staying close to home. Luckily I have 7 new schools within “drivable” distances. I know I should apply to more. But the reason I was thinking of an MBA was because a lot of people I know of took gap years and did an mba then got into me school the next year
It sounds to me as if you are in a rush to accumulate gold stars. Now that I am older (and having done some of that myself), I believe that chasing accomplishments for their own sake is not a prescription for a happy life. Instead, I would think deeply about what it is you want to do and why. If you want to become a doctor, focus on your GPA and your extracurricular activities during your college years. Use your extracurricular activities and volunteer efforts to find your passion and derive satisfaction from serving others. After completing all the prerequisites for the MCAT, sign up for a test date that will give you sufficient time to ensure that you do your level best. Remember, 60% of medical school applicants do not gain acceptance to a single school. Thereafter, and with a little more maturity under your belt, look at medical schools that fit your profile and your interests. Thereafter, apply to those schools, having taken the time to polish your essays and your secondaries. Life is a long, long term venture. Time spent finding out what you love in your youth (not what society holds out as "success") is time well spent.

I am your secret fan. I love the way you talk. People might think you are blunt sometimes,

What do you mean some people think me blunt sometimes. Everyone should know I brutally blunt all the time. I like to think of myself as a classic Marine Drill Instructor towering over a cowering recruit, yelling exactly what I think I of them until a puddle forms at their feet. Sometimes I am not that nice

but you remind me of my father. I mean, dad?

I got three ex-wives and four kids (or is it four ex-wives and three kids) so who knows.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
You realize that over 900,000 individual medical school applications will be submitted this year (55,000 applicants averaging 16-17 apps each). With about 150 medical schools getting 5000+ applications but having roughly interview slots for only 1,000, 80% of applicants get rejected pre-interview. Individual medical schools have acceptance rates of below 5% (see MSAR).

So if you dont get into a local medical school, are you planning not to become a doctor? If that is not true than geographic location is secondary issue and isnt a limiting factor. And if you are trying to do it as a weaker student (which graduating in three years will make you), you will need to apply to above average number of schools

1)What if I were to graduate in 3 years, and focus on my gpa.
That would question your social and academic ability to accomplish multiple activities while in school, which is what you face in medical school.

3)take the MCAT in the spring of the third year, which still means I’ll have a gap year, and I can give more time to studying.

You are planning to take heavy spring course load (which you have to do in three years) AND get good grades AND prep for the MCAT which should be considered a 6 credit science class AND take the MCAT all BEFORE you have the extra time.

2) during my gap year I can do an MBA(I want to have some sort of business related degree), and other shadowing or things that could help my application be better.
[/QUOTE]

Taking a graduate degree adds moderate help to a medical school application and presents a large risk. In other words, it can help a little if you complete it but can hurt badly if you do badly. Additional, most applicants woefully underestimate the time it takes to develop, write, and polish AMCAS and 10-25 secondaries.

I advise most traditional applicants to prep for MCAT summer after third year and take it before senior year, certainly no later than January of application year. You need your score back and along with GPA you can target schools. You can then prewrite and polish much of your secondary work before ever submitting primary, allowing you time to develop and link themes across the two. You can then be ready to submit secondaries very early in the cycle

That would question your social and academic ability to accomplish multiple activities while in school, which is what you face in medical school.

You are planning to take heavy spring course load (which you have to do in three years) AND get good grades AND prep for the MCAT which should be considered a 6 credit science class AND take the MCAT all BEFORE you have the extra time.

Taking a graduate degree adds moderate help to a medical school application and presents a large risk. In other words, it can help a little if you complete it but can hurt badly if you do badly. Additional, most applicants woefully underestimate the time it takes to develop, write, and polish AMCAS and 10-25 secondaries.

I advise most traditional applicants to prep for MCAT summer after third year and take it before senior year, certainly no later than January of application year. You need your score back and along with GPA you can target schools. You can then prewrite and polish much of your secondary work before ever submitting primary, allowing you time to develop and link themes across the two. You can then be ready to submit secondaries very early in the cycle
[/QUOTE]
Just to clarify, wouldn’t that mean you’d recommend to take a gap year in all cases? Because if your taking the MCAT in senior year, that means you would most likely start med school one year after graduation. Am I understanding this correctly?

Just to clarify, wouldn’t that mean you’d recommend to take a gap year in all cases? Because if your taking the MCAT in senior year, that means you would most likely start med school one year after graduation. Am I understanding this correctly?
[/QUOTE]
In the perfect world, yes. Under the rule of being the strongest first time applicant, dealing with the many steps in the process, and reducing risk, a gap year is my standard recommendation.

The opposite of this is trying to finish everything in 3 years, especially under misguided belief this will impress adcom. I have met far too many applicants who
1) take an overloaded spring term
AND
2) try to prep and take a spring MCAT
AND
3) try to write and polish AMCAS and secondaries
AND
4) have some intense summer research

The risk of trying to do all that is doing mediocre at one or all. And screws up your chances big time

In the perfect world, yes. Under the rule of being the strongest first time applicant, dealing with the many steps in the process, and reducing risk, a gap year is my standard recommendation.

The opposite of this is trying to finish everything in 3 years, especially under misguided belief this will impress adcom. I have met far too many applicants who
1) take an overloaded spring term
AND
2) try to prep and take a spring MCAT
AND
3) try to write and polish AMCAS and secondaries
AND
4) have some intense summer research

The risk of trying to do all that is doing mediocre at one or all. And screws up your chances big time
[/QUOTE]
I really appreciate you answering my questions. You have been WAYYY more helpful then my pre Health advisor. So thank you.

So, let me ask this: what about doing 3 years and graduating(assuming the spring semester of the third year will Have a lighter courseload than the other semesters). Then during my spring semester I study and take the MCAT? Therefore it gives me a gap year because I won’t be able to go to med school until the year after.

During the gap year I can do things to better help my application.

P.s. I would do other things during my summers, such as internship programs, research, volunteer, etc.

How can you possibly have a “lighter” load if you are trying the finish in 3 years? And you still havent told why are you are even trying to so this?

My “job” is to help people to get into medical school and become a. physician. Is your goal to get into medical school or to get into medical school quickly?

@Shaufe I did exactly what you are describing - and I was technically successful, finishing my major & minor in 3 years, no summer classes. I had to work part-time during undergrad so I knew I would be taking a gap year to take the MCAT and get more clinical experience. My first application cycle was...not great. I'm applying again now (I've been out of school for 4 years) and basically the only thing I really regret is coming up with such a strict plan as a freshman and sticking to it at all costs.

It's ok to have a plan. But I'm sensing the same rigidity I had, which I didn't realize was a problem until way too late. So this is really my only advice:

1) The best decision for you at 18, or whatever age you are, might not be the best decision for you at 19, 20, 21... this is not a choice that should only be made once. You need to revisit it periodically and really think critically about whether you are happy about the trajectory you're on. The plan can be changed whenever you want, and it is OK to change it.

2) There will be setbacks you can't anticipate. A huge one for me was my PI, who turned out to be an emotionally abusive bully. Because of my "plan", by the time that became clear, my choices were either a) delay graduation so I could switch labs for my required research or b) suffer one more semester under him, a semester which happened to be jam-packed full of difficult science classes. My decision* to stick to the plan had a huge negative impact on my grades, mental health, and overall well-being during a really crucial semester. This was an extreme example, but there were many, many small unanticipated difficulties that were either caused by said plan, or made worse by it.

I'm not just defining the plan as "graduate in 3 years, yes or no." There's a lot of flexibility even within that framework - summer classes vs none, minor or no minor, harder version of a class vs easier version, choosing extracurriculars, etc etc.

TL;DR: Any college plan should be an active thing that you revisit and reassess through your college career. Changing your mind is not a failure! Being able to critique your choices and be open to change is a great skill I wish I had developed sooner.

EDIT: * I actually can't even call this a decision, because I honestly didn't really consider any of the alternatives seriously

@Shaufe I did exactly what you are describing - and I was technically successful, finishing my major & minor in 3 years, no summer classes. I had to work part-time during undergrad so I knew I would be taking a gap year to take the MCAT and get more clinical experience. My first application cycle was...not great. I'm applying again now (I've been out of school for 4 years) and basically the only thing I really regret is coming up with such a strict plan as a freshman and sticking to it at all costs.

It's ok to have a plan. But I'm sensing the same rigidity I had, which I didn't realize was a problem until way too late. So this is really my only advice:

1) The best decision for you at 18, or whatever age you are, might not be the best decision for you at 19, 20, 21... this is not a choice that should only be made once. You need to revisit it periodically and really think critically about whether you are happy about the trajectory you're on. The plan can be changed whenever you want, and it is OK to change it.

2) There will be setbacks you can't anticipate. A huge one for me was my PI, who turned out to be an emotionally abusive bully. Because of my "plan", by the time that became clear, my choices were either a) delay graduation so I could switch labs for my required research or b) suffer one more semester under him, a semester which happened to be jam-packed full of difficult science classes. My decision* to stick to the plan had a huge negative impact on my grades, mental health, and overall well-being during a really crucial semester. This was an extreme example, but there were many, many small unanticipated difficulties that were either caused by said plan, or made worse by it.

I'm not just defining the plan as "graduate in 3 years, yes or no." There's a lot of flexibility even within that framework - summer classes vs none, minor or no minor, harder version of a class vs easier version, choosing extracurriculars, etc etc.

TL;DR: Any college plan should be an active thing that you revisit and reassess through your college career. Changing your mind is not a failure! Being able to critique your choices and be open to change is a great skill I wish I had developed sooner.

EDIT: * I actually can't even call this a decision, because I honestly didn't really consider any of the alternatives seriously
Thank you for the help, so right now you’re 4 years out of school meaning that 4 years ago you graduated from undergraduate school?
And because of rushing, you’re stuck so far behind?

Also I’m not really stuck on this path per say, I’m just trying to soak in as much info as I can from others who have been in the same situation as me. Currently i don’t know anyone, in person, who can help me answer these questions. At the end of the day I’m trying to get into med school, just trying to “plan” ahead so I have an idea as to what’s going on and how to achieve my goal

How can you possibly have a “lighter” load if you are trying the finish in 3 years? And you still havent told why are you are even trying to so this?

My “job” is to help people to get into medical school and become a. physician. Is your goal to get into medical school or to get into medical school quickly?
1) as to why I’m finishing early, that’s something I would rather not share. Explaining through text would make it sound off and weird.

2)my ultimate goal is to get into med school.
Of course, as you can tell, I would like to get in quickly.

And because of rushing, you’re stuck so far behind?

Lol I don't think I'm far behind at all. Especially considering going to med school straight out of undergrad is increasingly uncommon. But I definitely felt that way when I graduated, and I think it was an unhealthy mindset. Going to med school should not be your sole goal in life. Say that one of my goals in life was to have kids. Am I considered "behind" because I didn't have kids as soon as possible? It's not like I've been doing nothing since graduation - there are lots of other things I want to do in my lifetime and it is much easier to do some of them now and wait to apply.

1) as to why I’m finishing early, that’s something I would rather not share. Explaining through text would make it sound off and weird.

2)my ultimate goal is to get into med school.
Of course, as you can tell, I would like to get in quickly.
That's my point: you cant express why you want this and you, self-admittedly, say it would sound weird. How are you going to explain this in an application or interview if you cant even mentioned it to us. And if your goal is to apply to medical school quickly, please let me know if you get head out from where ever it is stuck so you can focus on the goal on becoming a doctor and not this nonsense

That's my point: you cant express why you want this and you, self-admittedly, say it would sound weird. How are you going to explain this in an application or interview if you cant even mentioned it to us. And if your goal is to apply to medical school quickly, please let me know if you get head out from where ever it is stuck so you can focus on the goal on becoming a doctor and not this nonsense
Never thought of it like that.

Just want to know:

what are your thoughts on combined and/or accelerated programs such as 6-7 yrs BS/MD programs?

I’m only asking to know what your say is on it

Never thought of it like that.

Just want to know:

what are your thoughts on combined and/or accelerated programs such as 6-7 yrs BS/MD programs?

I’m only asking to know what your say is on it

Personally, I am not a fan of them only because I feel most entering college freshman do not have enough life experience for making the decision to become a doctor. However, most of the rest of the educational world works on direct entry into medicine so obviously it produces doctors. It should be noted that someone entering a 6/7 year combined program isnt faced with the same external requirements for volunteering, service, nor are they faced with courses outside of their major for the program as a regular college student is. Lastly, students in combined bachelor’s-MD programs had the highest overall attrition rate (4.8%).

I posted this on another similar thread so I might as well post here too. srry if I'm late to the game:
I graduated in three years also and I'm in my gap year right now, and taking a gap year was the best decision I've ever made. I originally wanted to go straight into med school, but tbh I didn't realize how much I needed this year to just prepare for this next part of my life & it's done me so well. You're going to change as a person a lot over the course of college, and chances are your priorities will change too. I know that committees aren't supposed to look down on applicants because of age, but maturity is very important when they make their decisions so tbh it plays a factor. Not only that, but college and life before medical school will be some of the most care-free years of your life, so savor it. You also would be the same age and in the same spot as your classmates who are graduating in 4 years and aren't taking a gap year, so this wouldn't put you behind at all. I was basically in your exact situation except I decided to a gap year, feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

What do you mean some people think me blunt sometimes. Everyone should know I brutally blunt all the time. I like to think of myself as a classic Marine Drill Instructor towering over a cowering recruit, yelling exactly what I think I of them until a puddle forms at their feet. Sometimes I am not that nice

I got three ex-wives and four kids (or is it four ex-wives and three kids) so who knows.
You should be nicer to women.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.