First interview is on Tuesday with NYCOM. What should I expect?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littleblackbear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first interview ever is on Tuesday and I am so nervous! I'm not entirely sure how to prepare and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice? I plan on researching the school and making sure I have a great answer for, "Why DO?"

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't apply there so I have no what the school has to offer or what their interview is like but here's some general interview advice that might help. Be cool, be calm and be confident. You got an interview because the school knows that you're academically qualified to be there. Now it's up to you to prove it to the interviewers that you've got the personality and the pizzaz that they think you have. Be confident when you're there, just be wary of being too confident. Know your application (including all activities and experiences). Certain activities can be tied back to medicine, so if you're asked about organization X or activity Y, find a way to do that if there's some sort of drawback. Some activities don't relate to medicine at all and that's fine - don't try to stretch a connection there that doesn't exist. Know your secondary too, sometimes you might get asked a question or two over what you wrote.

Know the big 3 questions asked by almost every DO school: 1) Why medicine? 2) Why DO? 3) Why our school in particular?
For number 1 make sure you have a good answered prepared, but don't have it down too well. You don't want to sound like a robot reading from a script. Find a good balance between a short and sweet response and one that is superfluous.
For number 3 you basically just have to do research on your own. Learn as much about the school as possible. Look up the curriculum, board pass-rates, staff/faculty, special programs, etc. Eventually you'll start to notice certain things that interest that you can use as speaking points.

Last piece of advice that I've got. Smile a lot and show your excitement for being there. The interview doesn't just last the 30 minutes when you're being asked questions by the interviewer. From the second that you walk into the building, you're being watched and judged. Who knows how far having a positive facial expression and overall attitude might help get you in. The interviewer might think that you gave good responses, but he/she might also see you after you leave the room and see that you have a sour look on your face.

If you want more specific advice, I'd definitely check the school thread for NYCOM.

Oh, and good luck on your interview! Hope all goes well!

Reactions: 1 users
My first interview ever is on Tuesday and I am so nervous! I'm not entirely sure how to prepare and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice? I plan on researching the school and making sure I have a great answer for, "Why DO?"

Nycom interview last year was chill. Just you and a doc. Don't be nervous, be knowledgeable about the school and know your motives for pursuing medicine. Otherwise it's just a convo.

Look into DPC at nycom btw.

Members don't see this ad :)

Dont take a person saying "its a chill interview" as a cue to not prepare for it. Understand that "Its chill" probably will mean that they aren't grilling you about your experiences/grades. But you still have to know your stuff. Think about experiences you have had at school and work/volunteering that could serve as talking points because you always want to back yourself up with your own personal experiences. Think of them as a source of credibility. You will not really have time to think while you are in the interview in the heat of the moment, so if you try to collect your thoughts before hand, you will most likely be able to relate some of it to your interviewers. (dont memorize a script though, you will sound fake)

Reactions: 1 user
I would say something along the lines of I feel like being an allopathic physician is a very respectable career choice but I am interested in also learning manipulative medicine which is why I applied to DO schools (maybe word it slightly different)

wait, how did your interview go? what were your impressions of the school?

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I liked the school. It seems they have a lot of resources to help students and everyone was very friendly. Waiting for the interview (although nerve-wracking) was actually pretty fun, because the other candidates were also very friendly, talkative and upbeat. It definitely helped with the nerves. Other school officials dropped by such as the Dean. He asked everyone about their school, major, and where they live, and was kind of insulting when I stated my major (which is a non-Science major).

My interview day was pretty terrible. I arrived at 8:45 AM for an 11:00 AM interview, and was told when I got there that, contrary to the e-mail I received informing me to be there for the morning interviews, I was actually scheduled for the afternoon interview session. They told me that because of the mix-up, I would be interviewed first at 1:00 PM after the campus tour; but that didn't happen. I was one of the last people to be interviewed at roughly 2:30 PM. Needless to say, all the waiting just increased my nervousness.

I was told repeatedly by those in the morning sessions that the interview was "chill", that the interviewers were very friendly, and the interview was a friendly conversation. I unfortunately lucked out on that, lol. My interviewer was a doctor, and he was very distant. The interview honestly felt like an interrogation, and although I walked out feeling like I had bombed it, I still think I answered the questions pretty well. I talked to other people who interviewed with the same person, and another person described the interview as "painful." I definitely thought that was an accurate description of my interview as well.

I liked the school, but probably wouldn't go there because I definitely felt like I should have been treated a bit better (?). Also, it's wayyyyy too expensive. I would only go there if it was the only acceptance I received.

Reactions: 2 users