Quantcast

first time post

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rocknrobyn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

This is my first post and I am hoping you guys can help me out with a few questions. I have been thinking about a career in osteopathic medicine for about 8 months. I am really, really interested and have done a ton of research, but there are still some things I am unsure of. I graduated school (undergrad) in 1999 with a non-science degree. Later, I decided I wanted to become a nurse and began taking science courses at a community school before I could be accepted. Now, I am seriously thinking that being a D.O is more for me. I would have 5 more science classes to take if I decide this is the right path for me, but am wondering if this is something you guys think is even possible? My GPA is currently only a 3.1 but my grades have improved significantly since I have gone back to school. I worry that this type of GPA would make it impossible from the beginning. I do know that the rest of my science courses should be taken at a 4 year school. Has anyone heard of people with this type of GPA that have been accepted? If so, do your MCAT scores need to be well above the average?

Also, I am wondering if one can receive enough loan money to cover the entire cost of medical school? (I would not have any money from other sources.) If possible, how hard is it to pay back this money? I just don't want to be in debt my whole life!!!

Thank you so much for your repsonses! If you have any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it!

bgreet

Dopefish Lives!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sure its possible to get into med school in your situation, however you still have a ways to go to get to the application process. 5 more science courses is a bit, and you still have to take your mcats, not to mention attaining letters of recomendation. Basically what I'm trying to say is its going to be a large commitment. A 3.1 gpa with 5 more courses left to go has the opportunity of going up quite a bit, especially being that your core science grades are looked at with more scrutiny than your other courses.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You can get into a DO school with those grades. Just make sure your MCAT is 27 or higher, you have good ECs, and solid LORs. Apply early and to a lot of DO schools.

You can pay for school with all loans. You will get 38K in Stafford loans with a combination of subsidized and unsubsidized, and the rest in private loans to make up any more cash you need.

If you go this way, you will probably be 250K in debt. This can be paid back over a 10 year period with payments of about $2000 a month if you live modestly. You can also pay it over a 20 year period if you want with smaller monthly payments.

Willie B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You should be able to get into a DO school with those numbers. Did you retake any classes? The reason that I ask is that ACOMAS only uses the last grade that you obtained in a class to compute your GPA. You will still need to do well in the classes that you have left to take, which should also bring up you GPA.

Also, I believe that one or two DO school will give you advanced credit for some of your nursing classes (VCOM comes to mind here). I don't know the exact specifics of this, so you should check with the individual schools.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.