Hey all,
I'm new to this forum so forgive me for being late to the party.
Graduated UNF with an undergrad in Exercise Science.
GPA: 3.49 Pre-Req GPA: 3.80 and GRE: 315
So far I've been
-accepted into: FIU, ST. Aug
-waitlisted at: UCF and USF
-waiting to hear from: UF and FGCU
Mainly, I wanted to pick your brains about two things:
1.) Firstly, @Slimbuktu, out of sheer curiosity why don't you like FGCU? It's my first school of choice and I was just wondering why you don't fancy it?
and
2.) Do you think if I haven't heard from FGCU by now, that I can just assume I'm not being considered?
Thanks in advance.
1. FGCU was my top choice at one point because of the enticing price tag, but at my interview I couldn’t shake the feeling that it didn’t seem like the right fit for me. I just didn’t enjoy the faculty or the process as much as I wanted to. But that doesn’t mean it’s not a great fit for you or someone else! I’ll do my best to explain what I didn’t like:
I was a bit peeved by some of the questions they asked. I understand they’re interviewing us and anything they want to ask is fair game, but I have mad beef with those situational questions like “what would you do if your patient ran out of insurance, but you thought they still needed treatment?”. Like what? Aren’t you supposed to teach me that in school? I don’t like those questions, and not just because they can be tough to answer. What are you going to learn about me or my potential fit in your program or my competence as a prospective student from how I answer that? I got a lot of questions like that from FGCU and that bugged me
Also the group thing they had us do where we were supposed to decide together how the water in our apartment broke and what we should do about it seemed like an utterly useless and poorly thought out activity. It felt like an exercise for 7 year olds and it gave me kind of an amateurish vibe, but maybe I’m just being a dick
So then when I got home I was looking around online trying to see if anyone else had a funny feeling about FGCU. I found 2 separate reviews/comments from recent FGCU DPT grads who seemed less than pleased with the program. They’re on SDN if you want to read them. Search FGCU DPT review, and I believe the other is a comment on FGCU vs UCF DPT. I couldn’t find any negative reviews about the other schools I’m considering, but of course that doesn’t mean there aren’t negative opinions about those programs. I imagine there are a few people in every program that aren’t happy with it. And I’d be cautious about letting a negative review or 2 alter my decision too much, but still the comments were hard to ignore
Then at an interview for a different program there was a current DPT student there who told me his decision came down to 2 schools, and FGCU was one of them. Ultimately he decided against FGCU because he also heard some negative things about it. I believe he said that he knew a student there who didn’t like the program or something. But the main thing I remember him saying was that FGCU has a high faculty turnover rate, which is at least mildly disconcerting
So all of those things together made me too hesitant about FGCU to be willing to go there unless it was my only option among the main public schools in Florida. But that certainly doesn’t mean it’s a bad program or a bad fit for everybody! I don’t want to steer you away from FGCU. It was really just a personal feeling that I wouldn’t like it there because I didn’t click with the faculty in the same way that I did at other interviews. But that could easily be foolish intuition. I respect that they at least have an interview process, unlike a few schools I’m still deciding between (which is one reason I’m having so much trouble deciding)
2. Your stats are really good so I imagine you interviewed with FGCU right? If you did then I wouldn’t count it out because lots of students will be changing schools and giving up seats in the next few weeks. I myself am still undecided about where I’ll be going. But if you didn’t interview then it may be too late for FGCU. When I got the call that I was accepted I believe the director said they were about to complete their final round of interviews, and that was mid January