Florida Prepharmacy schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PRN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Im a certified tech and am interested in moving to the Miami area from Canada.

Im looking into prepharmacy schools and came across some such as MDC and am wondering how credible community colleges are for prepharmacy courses. Im also having a hard time finding a school that offers the required courses (I found a list of the courses offered on the MDC website but it was pretty general)

Ive been doing a lot of searching on this forum as well as on the internet but still can't seem to find what Im looking for.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

I'm sure you know what you're getting into financially by being an out-of-state resident at Miami-Dade College, so I'll avoid that for now.

How credible CC courses are for pre-pharmacy... Well, let me hit the 2nd part of that first, okay? There are no "pre-pharmacy" classes, just Pharmacy school pre-requisites. The same classes that people take to get degrees in Chemistry, Biology, and many other degree tracks take the same classes we do. Included are Biology, Chemistry, OChem, Calculus, Physics, Micro/Macro Econ, etc. The correct verbiage for this forum is "pre-requisite" or simply PR. It'll help stave off confusion in the future. =]

next, there is always a raging debate on whether CC is "good enough" or "as good as" a university. But, let those people debate all they want. Look at the facts - Pharmacy schools (almost all of them) accept coursework completed at a CC. Some schools are starting to require completion of a 4-year degree prior to matriculation though... but, assuming you're not thinking of applying to one of them, you're in the clear (Although it's impossible to see the future. in 2 years, 100% of schools might require it, but I doubt it).

What you want to do, is go to a school's website and look for a "course articulation". Almost all of them have them listed. If not, you can easily call/email the admissions office and ask if classes from MDC are verified for credit at whatever school you're interested in. Generally speaking, the outlying requirement is that the classes come from a regionally-accredited college or university. If MDC is one, you'll be fine.

My 20 Euro.

It seems most pharmacy schools care a lot more about how you performed in the required courses rather than where you took them. You can't really compare 4-year universities to CC's in general, because they both vary so drastically.

I did my pre-reqs over an 8 year time period in the military, so I've taken classes at a crappy CC, an awesome CC, an awesome private school, and a so-so university. The variability is just so great I don't really think it matters so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from south florida and i took most of my pre-reqs at broward community college... i found them to be really helpful and they have really awesome teachers. i got a pre-pharmacy AA degree and now i have transferred into UCF to complete a BS in biology. i never went to miami-dade bc it was way too far from where i lived (i lived in plantation) so i can't really recommend mdcc. but you should at least check out bcc...it's a good place to start.

My wife went to Pensacola Junior College (PJC) where she met all her pre-reqs for UF COP. She was accepeted into the UF program after 2 years meeting her requirements at PJC. She didn't have a problem once in the COP and has excelled as a pharmacist (hospital setting). Yes, there is a debate in all health professional fields whether CC/JC courses are considered. Some schools come out and say, no. But the others who do accept CC/JC courses, as long as you do well in your courses at the schools you are fine.

I just wanted to say that while I was a student at Miami-Dade College I met my friend who was doing pre-pharmacy. She graduated and was accepted to pharmacy school in West Palm Beach. She is now a Pharmacist. So, that may work for you too.

I just wanted to say that while I was a student at Miami-Dade College I met my friend who was doing pre-pharmacy. She graduated and was accepted to pharmacy school in West Palm Beach. She is now a Pharmacist. So, that may work for you too.

Considering this is over a year old, I am sure the OP is glad to hear this.

I go to Broward College Central Campus now too. I'm not sure about out-of-state to MDC. I've heard getting the right classes is hard to begin with seeing that there are over 100,000 students overall. I'd say go with BC for now since it may be easier to get the pre-req classes since you are applying from Canada (from what I heard MDC is a big hassle).

Oh wow this was a year old... and I forgot to read the latest comment -_-

i'm from south florida and i took most of my pre-reqs at broward community college... I found them to be really helpful and they have really awesome teachers. I got a pre-pharmacy aa degree and now i have transferred into ucf to complete a bs in biology. I never went to miami-dade bc it was way too far from where i lived (i lived in plantation) so i can't really recommend mdcc. But you should at least check out bcc...it's a good place to start.

if you have not gone to mdc, how can you not recommend it???

I dual enrolled at miami dade college, and now, i am at uf! If it wasnt for mdc, i wouldnt be able to excel or keep up with the intensity of uf's courses!

Btw, miami dade college is no longer a community college...

i go to broward college central campus now too. I'm not sure about out-of-state to mdc. I've heard getting the right classes is hard to begin with seeing that there are over 100,000 students overall. I'd say go with bc for now since it may be easier to get the pre-req classes since you are applying from canada (from what i heard mdc is a big hassle).

mdc has 5 campuses! It is not hard at all to sign up for a specific class..

Miami Dade College is not a CC, you can obtain a 4 year degree from there.
There are also 8 campuses, Kendall, InterAmerican, Homestead, North, Hialeah, Medical (downtown), Wolfson (downtown), and West.

I know a bunch of student who take pre-pharmacy courses there (one of them is in my p1 class now).

I took A&P at Miami Dade because UM doesn't offer the series together, and I met another student in my class who was accepted to Nova last year. There were also students taking classes for Dental and Vet school as well.

BTW, Broward College isn't a CC anymore either :p