Following up after pre-II rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erw1336

Reaction score
This could be inappropriate/futile, but I've heard stories of people appealing rejections and wanted to hear some thoughts. I was recently rejected (pre-interview) from my dream school, which does not come as a surprise since the school is very competitive. I live very close to their campus, and was wondering if it would be appropriate to e-mail admissions something along the lines of "Thank you for thoroughly reviewing my application. I understand that you receive a high volume of applications and are not able to interview every qualified applicant. However, if ever you have a last minute interview cancellation and would be willing to reconsider my application, I would be grateful for the opportunity to fill in during any openings. I am currently residing 10 minutes from campus and could fill in on very short notice."

For some background, my MCAT/GPA are lower than their averages, but within a reasonable range (not as low as their bottom 10% for either on MSAR, around ~bottom 25%). I checked their website, and they do not give any information on appealing. If you think reaching out/appealing post-rejection is reasonable, then what do you think the best way to do so would be? Include why they should reconsider or keep simple with request to fill in if possible? I know adcoms spend countless hours reviewing applications, and I do not want to come off as disrespectful of their time and final decision. Do I accept the rejection and move on, or is it worth reaching out (or both)?

Thanks for the insight!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there is any actual *harm* in reaching out, but it would almost certainly be futile. There is a reason that waitlists exist, and proximity is likely not something that would take you from a rejection to a waitlist spot. I think the healthiest response is to move on.

Reactions: 1 users
With the expectation that you'll get crickets, I would send the email.

Members don't see this ad :)
This could be inappropriate/futile, but I've heard stories of people appealing rejections and wanted to hear some thoughts. I was recently rejected (pre-interview) from my dream school, which does not come as a surprise since the school is very competitive. I live very close to their campus, and was wondering if it would be appropriate to e-mail admissions something along the lines of "Thank you for thoroughly reviewing my application. I understand that you receive a high volume of applications and are not able to interview every qualified applicant. However, if ever you have a last minute interview cancellation and would be willing to reconsider my application, I would be grateful for the opportunity to fill in during any openings. I am currently residing 10 minutes from campus and could fill in on very short notice."

For some background, my MCAT/GPA are lower than their averages, but within a reasonable range (not as low as their bottom 10% for either on MSAR, around ~bottom 25%). I checked their website, and they do not give any information on appealing. If you think reaching out/appealing post-rejection is reasonable, then what do you think the best way to do so would be? Include why they should reconsider or keep simple with request to fill in if possible? I know adcoms spend countless hours reviewing applications, and I do not want to come off as disrespectful of their time and final decision. Do I accept the rejection and move on, or is it worth reaching out (or both)?

Thanks for the insight!
I suggest a better use of your time and energy is improving your app and working on Plan B. Being able to deal with rejection in this process is a sing of maturity. 60% of applicants do not make it into med school.

Reactions: 1 user
However, if ever you have a last minute interview cancellation and would be willing to reconsider my application, I would be grateful for the opportunity to fill in during any openings. I am currently residing 10 minutes from campus and could fill in on very short notice."

Desperation makes a terrible perfume.

Frame this as self-improvement rather than a Hail Mary. Call the admissions office, tell them you were disappointed to be rejected pre-II but would like feedback to strengthen your application for next year (assuming there is a next year). If you're lucky they'll give you something useful now. If you're less lucky they'll defer you to the spring, when feedback delivery is more common. If you're unlucky they'll tell you (nicely) to buzz off.

Reactions: 1 user