For all you science h8rs, How science-heavy is dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bamdental

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all! I am an Anthropology Pre-Dent major who is really struggling with keeping motivation with her science classes. I hate all of my science classes. I would rather take Comp 1 and Comp 2 over and over again than to take Biochem next semester. I am doing alright in my science classes with mostly A's and B's but it still doesn't absolve the fact that I am burnt out.

So my question is, how science heavy is dental school? I know that we will have to take biochem over and some other classes, but is it better than what you have experienced in undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.

It’s basically like 17273832 biology classes at a time not so much chemistry. At least at my school.

Members don't see this ad :)
While I do not love science classes, I do them.

Dental school so far has been all science classes, lots of biochem in each class. Lots of detailed and specific biology and physiology. Even the dental classes are very similar to most biology classes too. While I do these classes, I know that I must have the knowledge base but this information and facts will not be my day to day as a practicing dentist. I may call upon my knowledge but generally, I will be dependent upon my clinical/hand skills.

Reactions: 3 users
1 semester of biochem in undergrad was about 3 weeks in dental school. That's why everyome recommends to not "pre study" during your break before starting dental school.

Reactions: 5 users
I can’t believe this is a legit question.

Reactions: 16 users
I can’t believe this is a legit question.
This is a legit question because I am burnt out. Not everyone has an affinity for science. I wouldn't ask if I didn't have a legitimate question.

Reactions: 4 users
Dental school covers a lot of science in a little amount of time, but its very surface level. My undergrad courses went in way more depth than dental school.

Reactions: 1 users
Dental school covers a lot of science in a little amount of time, but its very surface level. My undergrad courses went in way more depth than dental school.
This gives me a little bit more hope!

Reactions: 1 user
While I do not love science classes, I do them.

Dental school so far has been all science classes, lots of biochem in each class. Lots of detailed and specific biology and physiology. Even the dental classes are very similar to most biology classes too. While I do these classes, I know that I must have the knowledge base but this information and facts will not be my day to day as a practicing dentist. I may call upon my knowledge but generally, I will be dependent upon my clinical/hand skills.
I think. you bring up an intersesting point. Thank you :)

This is a legit question because I am burnt out. Not everyone has an affinity for science. I wouldn't ask if I didn't have a legitimate question.

Then maybe you should reconsider dental school and/or career choice. Because all you get is science classes, 24/7.

Reactions: 6 users
About 25 credits of science per semester. Real fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
Science is a very large part of the first two years of D school. When you look at a D school transcript, ( I have been looking at them for about 2 months now) you see how basic science heavy the first two years are. This is not a field for someone who does not like science.

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly I wouldn't even recommend dentistry if you have a hate of science.

dude, then why even go into the healthcare field.
You need to know how the body works which includes science
In dentistry, you don't just drill teeth and glue on composite. For example, you need to know how bonding and etchant work or your restorations will fail.

thank you , next.

You want us to sugar coat this? Are you looking for people to reassure you you will be fine? If that’s what you want, I can do that!! You only have 10 science classes per semester but everything is good!

Seriously, it’s better to find out now than when you’re in dental school... do your homework.

I understand being burnt out. Especially if you're taking 16+ credits a semester, with the majority of science courses. Dental school is a challenge and you WILL be burnt out, with 26 credits a semester or more. Your first two years are your science courses and the last two years are clinic oriented. But you are a dentist at that point and you are practicing MEDICINE. Hence, you are practicing everything you learned from your science courses; biochemistry, physiology, histology, immunology, anatomy, microbiology, etc. Obviously, it gets tiring to read scientific papers and stuff, but it is what the job entails. If you have trouble now motivating yourself to get through undergrad courses, your time through dental school will be miserable. I really hope you find your calling. Best of luck.

You can find some of the curricula online. I know temples is online at least.

Dental school is science heavy but probably your biggest science obstacle (NBDE Part 1) will no longer exist by the time you get to dental school. Understand though that you will take anatomy, biochem, pathology, pharmacology, microbiology, physio and others in dental school. All at a much greater pace than undergrad.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think it's a legitimate question. Have you been accepted this cycle? If so, where? I was an English pre-dent student and just absolutely despised the science classes. It was extremely hard to do both. But after I graduated, I did an informal post-bacc all in upper level scary science classes. And I loved it!! I think there's something about doing both that makes it less enjoyable. You will be fine.

1 semester of biochem in undergrad was about 3 weeks in dental school. That's why everyome recommends to not "pre study" during your break before starting dental school.

Why is pre-study not advised? Sure I may not be breaking new ground, but isn’t it good to solidify the basics?

Why is pre-study not advised? Sure I may not be breaking new ground, but isn’t it good to solidify the basics?
Mainly because that semester long class you will use to pre study will be covered in about 2-3 weeks. The effort may not pay out very well. Plus the depth of material is much different.

At least for most classes

I think it's a legitimate question. Have you been accepted this cycle? If so, where? I was an English pre-dent student and just absolutely despised the science classes. It was extremely hard to do both. But after I graduated, I did an informal post-bacc all in upper level scary science classes. And I loved it!! I think there's something about doing both that makes it less enjoyable. You will be fine.
I am applying next cycle. I am also a non-science major so I appreciate that you understand my struggle. I think you are right in that there may be some struggle of doing both that makes it less enjoyable!! Thank you for understanding

dude, then why even go into the healthcare field.
You need to know how the body works which includes science
In dentistry, you don't just drill teeth and glue on composite. For example, you need to know how bonding and etchant work or your restorations will fail.
because going into the healthcare field is not about the geniuses of science. it's about wanting to help people. I understand that there HAS to be science. what I am asking about deals more about the practicality of how it relates to what I am doing. I hate doing College physics because I am learning about sinusoidal waves , not learning about the forces needed to apply to remove a tooth.
You want us to sugar coat this? Are you looking for people to reassure you you will be fine? If that’s what you want, I can do that!! You only have 10 science classes per semester but everything is good!

Seriously, it’s better to find out now than when you’re in dental school... do your homework.
I don't think you understand my question or where I am coming from. I am not a ******* . I know dental school requires science and obviously if I have made it this far, I understand. I am asking about the balance. Is this science more practical than what I am learning now in undergrad? That' what I am asking. You mean to tell me that everyone in dental school likes science? I don't think so. So if that doesn't apply to you, get the hell out of my thread.

Not a dental student, but I'd assume that dental school is quite science-heavy from what I've been told from practicing dentists and current students.

something to note: I've never met a dentist who said he/she hated science.

So my question is, how science heavy is dental school? I know that we will have to take biochem over and some other classes, but is it better than what you have experienced in undergrad?

keep away from the schools which have joint medical curriculum, I suppose. you would be very miserable there.

Hey y'all! I am an Anthropology Pre-Dent major who is really struggling with keeping motivation with her science classes. I hate all of my science classes. I would rather take Comp 1 and Comp 2 over and over again than to take Biochem next semester. I am doing alright in my science classes with mostly A's and B's but it still doesn't absolve the fact that I am burnt out.

For most schools, basically the first two years of dental school.

because going into the healthcare field is not about the geniuses of science. it's about wanting to help people. I understand that there HAS to be science. what I am asking about deals more about the practicality of how it relates to what I am doing. I hate doing College physics because I am learning about sinusoidal waves , not learning about the forces needed to apply to remove a tooth.

i agree with you on learning physics and other topics that aren't necessarily needed for this profession. But in dental school, I'm assuming we're going to learn the science that is actually needed. I doubt they would want to waste time teaching us how plants grow, ya know?

I don't think you understand my question or where I am coming from. I am not a ******* . I know dental school requires science and obviously if I have made it this far, I understand. I am asking about the balance. Is this science more practical than what I am learning now in undergrad? That' what I am asking. You mean to tell me that everyone in dental school likes science? I don't think so. So if that doesn't apply to you, get the hell out of my thread.
Dentistry is literally a science. You wont be finding science haters in dental school. Best for you to understand that now before you make a career choice you will regret.

i agree with you on learning physics and other topics that aren't necessarily needed for this profession. But in dental school, I'm assuming we're going to learn the science that is actually needed. I doubt they would want to waste time teaching us how plants grow, ya know?
Lol you think we learn relevant stuff in dental school sciences... the boards test otherwise. What 2 arteries supply the skin of the penis? Why do I need to know that as any type of specialty in dental school? Exactly. :laugh:

Lol you think we learn relevant stuff in dental school sciences... the boards test otherwise. What 2 arteries supply the skin of the penis? Why do I need to know that as any type of specialty in dental school? Exactly. :laugh:

wait seriously? LOL

seee, this person understands me!

A lot of it seems completely irrelevant still but at least in my curriculum they’ll throw in a few dental relationships to keep it not so boring. I’m not a huge science fan but you aren’t going to be calculating the velocity of a ball shot a x degrees blah blah blah.

A lot of it seems completely irrelevant still but at least in my curriculum they’ll throw in a few dental relationships to keep it not so boring. I’m not a huge science fan but you aren’t going to be calculating the velocity of a ball shot a x degrees blah blah blah.

Most are relevant. For some specialties like Endodontics or periodontics measurements and accuracy is very important. Use of high speed or low speed handpicks, etc. But its really the concepts of those courses that you can apply in dentistry imo.

Well yeah I mean physics is how life works it’s all relevant, that doesn’t mean you have to sit down and do a math problem with the kinematic equations

Dental school is science heavy but probably your biggest science obstacle (NBDE Part 1) will no longer exist by the time you get to dental school. Understand though that you will take anatomy, biochem, pathology, pharmacology, microbiology, physio and others in dental school. All at a much greater pace than undergrad.

Although Part 1 will be gone soon, I can assure you that the INBDE will be quite science heavy, and since it will be given in fourth year, will require an intense review of courses from the first two years.

It's mostly anatomy in the first year plus some physio, biochem and lab work. Breadth over depth as it is very fast-paced. I don't think too many people here, including me, like the sciences but it's something we must endure to get that license.

In the second year, you take actual dental courses like oral path, anesthesia, perio, etc. No more basic sciences.

It might be hard if you're gunning for that A and OMFS/ortho, but for most people who want to be GPs, you just have to study a reasonable amount to pass. It's actually less stressful than my post-bac years when I had to maintain a decent GPA.

Last edited:
First year dental student here...our professors try their best to show how whatever we're learning in our didactic science courses links back to dentistry, but most of the time a lot of it seems pretty irrelevant and we're honestly just memorizing it to get decent scores on the exams. We literally just covered all of microbio that would've taken an entire semester to cover in undergrad in less than a week. We covered biochem and other physiological processes like blood clotting and related disorders the same way.

And those are just two examples--you have to be able to understand and memorize everything science related in a short time period.

Like you, I also hated physics and so far haven't seen any of it in d school lol. I also hated organic chemistry and it hasn't yet come up either. But I did love the biology courses and that's why I have found dental school to be okay so far!

Dental school is two completely different things rolled into one:

1. the hand skills part. You will be graded on how well you can carve a tooth out of wax, cut a crown prep, etc.
- If you like working with your hands and are good at it, this can be the fun part.
- If you like working with your hands but aren't naturally good at it, this will be the challenging/humbling part, but you can take comfort in the fact that it's professionally somewhat relevant skills you're learning and with patience you will get really good at it.
- If you don't like working with your hands, this part is going to suck, and maybe medical school has your name on it.

2. the didactic part. You will be graded on your ability to memorize vast amounts of often-useless information and recall it for innumerable multiple choice tests. Then you will frantically cram it all again for Board exams.
- If you hate college science classes, this part is going to suck but you'll survive and it's mostly done after D2 year.
- If you liked college science, this part may save your GPA when you get destroyed on your tooth waxing practical.

Is dental school science heavy? Here's a rough list of science classes you'll be taking and how many hrs they were for me...
-Biochem (6 hrs)
-Micro (3 hrs)
-General Histology (3 hrs)
-Oral Histology (3 hrs)
-Embryology (1 hr)
-Gross Anatomy (4 hrs)
-Physiology (6/8? hrs)
-Head and Neck Anatomy (4 hrs)
-Immunology (4 hrs)
-General pathology (everyone hates this one) (5 hrs)
-Oral pathology (everyone really hates this one) (4 hrs)
-Pharmacology (4 hrs)

Of course then you have the application courses that build upon these basic ones. You will be taking more clinical based oral path classes and of course anesthesia which will be a flash back to head and neck anatomy.

So in short, yeah, dental school is science heavy.

Last edited: