For anyone in need of help with NBDE part 1 + 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maouzk

Dental Mouse!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have recently cleared my NBDE part 2 earlier this year and part 1 late last year. if anyone needs help or has any questions would be happy to answer as best i can.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
I am a foreign trained dentist from India. I am struggling to prepare for NBDE 1. I am not getting study material. And I am confused as to how to start preparing for nbde 1.
I want to apply for MSD or MS or residency programs in USA.

Hey,
I am a foreign trained dentist from India. I am struggling to prepare for NBDE 1. I am not getting study material. And I am confused as to how to start preparing for nbde 1.
I want to apply for MSD or MS or residency programs in USA.

Hi :)
If you think your concepts are good i would suggest you start studying from a concise book such as First Aid for the NBDE part 1 (my personal favorite), Dental Decks are also a good source to study from, but personally i did not find them sufficient and a little haphazard, nevertheless they are a good supplemental material. Last but not least try and solve the ASDA released papers to test yourself, in my exam i noticed that there were many repeat questions or very similar questions to the ones present in the papers. This was my strategy. However, if you feel that your basic concepts are not clear (e.g. if it has been a long time since dental school) then there is no replacement for your text books.

Also if you are planning to apply for a masters/residency program in the US, keep in mind that it is very competitive (especially for foreign trained dentists) and in many cases simply doing NBDE is not enough as most applicants have done NBDE. you should differentiate yourself from other applicants by getting involved in research work, volunteer/social work, update your continuing education profile, etc. Even simply shadowing dentists currently working in the US (particularly in your field of interest) can have a positive impact on your application and shows your interest in pursuing an education in the US.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings, I am preparing for NBDE part 2. Do you have a recommendation on what material to use? Can you please share your experience on how to pass the exam? Thanks a lot.

Greetings, I am preparing for NBDE part 2. Do you have a recommendation on what material to use? Can you please share your experience on how to pass the exam? Thanks a lot.

Well, i primarily used Dental Decks, i read through Mosby's review for the NBDE part 2 (i did start First aid for part 2 but did not like it) and did an ASDA paper. Personally, i did not enjoy reading the review books for part 2 as i felt that they were too superficial for my liking. I much preferred decks when studying for part 2.
Part 2 is clinically focused and i found that my own experience (i was completing my house-job at the time of the exam) was perhaps most beneficial in helping me pass the exam. this was particularly true in regards to the cases on the second day of the exam.
I feel that part 2 is a little easier than part 1 and if you have cleared part 1 then you have nothing to fear :)

Hi I'm from mexico. I want to take NBDE part 1. ON JANUARY. 2016. I study dental decks 2012-2013, first aid and ASDA . I need more materials or only That one. Thanks. Is my first time in this forum.

Hi I'm from mexico. I want to take NBDE part 1. ON JANUARY. 2016. I study dental decks 2012-2013, first aid and ASDA . I need more materials or only That one. Thanks. Is my first time in this forum.

Hello,
As long as your concepts are decent, those are excellent sources to study from and in my opinion you don't need anything else.
Best of luck! :)

Hi guys,
I passed 2 parts early this year and I still have all materials for both part 1 and 2. If anyone is interested in, pls contact me [email protected]
Pls feel free to ask me any questions.

Thanks for help me. How many months usually I need for study well. And pass of test NBDE 1 , Because I work but I study 4 hrs. Every day.

Thanks for help me. How many months usually I need for study well. And pass of test NBDE 1 , Because I work but I study 4 hrs. Every day.

I also used to work and study for the NBDE so i know how difficult it can be. It really depends how comfortable you are with the subject matter. From my own experience and from what i have heard from others, it should take about 3-6 months. It should definitely NOT take more than 6 months if you are regular and committed. So try and aim for between 3-6 months in my opinion.

Hey maouzk, useful thread. Could you tell me where did you find the ASDA papers from? Is there a link?

Thanks!

Well, i primarily used Dental Decks, i read through Mosby's review for the NBDE part 2 (i did start First aid for part 2 but did not like it) and did an ASDA paper. Personally, i did not enjoy reading the review books for part 2 as i felt that they were too superficial for my liking. I much preferred decks when studying for part 2.
Part 2 is clinically focused and i found that my own experience (i was completing my house-job at the time of the exam) was perhaps most beneficial in helping me pass the exam. this was particularly true in regards to the cases on the second day of the exam.
I feel that part 2 is a little easier than part 1 and if you have cleared part 1 then you have nothing to fear :)
maouzk, Thanks you so much for the information! Wish me luck :)

Hi, I did badly on day2's case-based items, would you please give me some advice? Thanks a million.

Hi. Please I want to start preparing for nbde 1. Where can I get study materials and how much do they cost

Hi, I did badly on day2's case-based items, would you please give me some advice? Thanks a million.

Well, day 2 cases can be quite unpredictable, its all about treatment planning therefore there can be quite a bit of variation.
Cases are meant to draw your knowledge from many different subjects. There are many questions related to drugs (pharma), managing medically compromised patients, patients with social issues, poor hygiene (perio), with missing (prostho) or carious teeth (endo/operative), you must know how to accurately read x-rays and identify pigmentation (oral pathology) etc...

Seeing as the spectrum of knowledge being tested is so broad, my advice to you would be to do some introspection. identify which areas you were weak in, which subjects they fall into and revise those subjects/topics. When you do revision, make sure you keep testing yourself with questions and continue to identify your weak areas and focus on improving those.

Hi. Please I want to start preparing for nbde 1. Where can I get study materials and how much do they cost

Personally, i got my materials from a local book store specializing in medical books.
Everything is available online too.
Amazon has most materials, such as Fisrst Aid for the NBDE part 1.
Dental Decks are available on their own website
http://www.dentaldecks.com/Pages/Default.aspx
ASDA released papers can be purchased directly from ASDAs website
http://asdanet.org/store/nbde.aspx