This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaynestateStudent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting kinda worried about not having a calculator provided to us during the exam, or at least that's what i heard. They say they only provide a basic calculator for only the "quantitative reasonining" section.

How do they expect us to answer questions from general chemistry that require long calculation with only having 75 seconds(per question) to answer those...

Can someone explain how one can move beyond the problem of calculations on the DAT without the need for a calculator

Members don't see this ad.

Estimate. Round to numbers that are easy to work with. Just make sure to remember the direction you rounded when selecting an answer.

It's a multiple choice test. You just need to get close to the correct answer.

Reactions: 4 users
It is actually a blessing in disguise. If they don't provide calculators, they can't ask questions that require complicated calculations. The questions are more conceptual and it is mostly about setting it up properly. I barely used my scratch paper and ended up with a 25.

If you take the 2007 or 2009 DAT you will see what I mean.

나의 XT1575 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was also anxious about this aspect of the exam before I started studying, but it ends up being no big deal. You'll become accustomed to the simple numbers and how to work with them the more you study. Plus, if you're using Kaplan or any other test prep, they'll usually go over techniques for those simple calculations.

Actually, the calculation on DAT exam is so easy that a calculator is not necessary. By the way, it is wise to spend more time in improving your math skill than worrying about the calculator.

Chad's videos will teach how to estimate! Don't worry there's more conceptual questions and the calculation ones are totally doable.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah generally if you have to calculate just estimate, for some of the questions you wouldn't have to calculate as the answer choices wouldn't be the final numbers but instead be like the calculations that you would enter into a calculator if you had one

Most of my gen Chem answers were written out as: (45+2)/60 or something along those lines, so if you know the formula you can just pick it right out, no need to compute

Reactions: 1 users
The calculations are generally really easy. Just remember what formulae you need to use. If you're using bootcamp, find their cheat sheet and memorize it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using SDN mobile