For the non-traditional students with Biology degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RuffDay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I graduated with a Biology degree, and know that there are plenty of jobs that are non-biology related (e.g sales consultant, engineering, front office assistant, and etc.)

I was wondering what is a good salary with your biology degree? I have multiple interviews for different types of jobs like sales consultant. I noticed that a lot of the people that were hiring commended me for my GPA and degree that I obtained. However, I am not sure how much should I expect.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This might be too late but I got an alternate teaching certificate and I'm going to teach HS science.

$50k and awesome benefits. Yea, it's sucks having to teach HS kids but no where else are you going to start at $50k.

Reactions: 1 user
This might be too late but I got an alternate teaching certificate and I'm going to teach HS science.

$50k and awesome benefits. Yea, it's sucks having to teach HS kids but no where else are you going to start at $50k.

50K??? I thought the salary for hs teachers were in the 30s!

Members don't see this ad :)
50K??? I thought the salary for hs teachers were in the 30s!

Depends on location. Much smaller towns are high 30s-low 40s. I live in San antonio and it was $46.5k-$51k.

All I needed for an alternative certificate was a 2.5 GPA, take a week long class, and pass the TExES science exam.

I went from no certification to having a $50k teaching position in 3 weeks.

Edit: you can look at your local ISDs salaries on their websites. It's all public knowledge.

Reactions: 2 users
Teachers for STEM subjects are in demand, something I looked into as well.

Also, don't count out internships. I am non-traditional (turning 40 in a few months) and got an internship with a company that does drug research. I started out at 32k but got trained for a position as a site monitor and make 60k in that position. The drawbacks being a lot of travel and, of course, not being in dental school. Yet.

I consider myself at least a little lucky, but there are some decent jobs out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on location. Much smaller towns are high 30s-low 40s. I live in San antonio and it was $46.5k-$51k.

All I needed for an alternative certificate was a 2.5 GPA, take a week long class, and pass the TExES science exam.

I went from no certification to having a $50k teaching position in 3 weeks.

Edit: you can look at your local ISDs salaries on their websites. It's all public knowledge.

Wow I didn't know. I just checked my ISD and of course ours are 30kish.
If you dont mind me asking, didnt you apply this cycle? Or are you just doing gap year?

I am a current Biology major, so I say this without bias, but its basically a useless degree to get a job, unless supplemented with something else like a teaching certificate. You might be lucky enough to get a well paid research job but very unlikely. Its good for a pre-health profession though. But bio is basically useless in those regards.
Hey your welcome

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Wow I didn't know. I just checked my ISD and of course ours are 30kish.
If you dont mind me asking, didnt you apply this cycle? Or are you just doing gap year?

Bummer, you must be from a small town.

I did apply this cycle. I feel I already took enough postbacc classes and I'm about have a child, so I needed income. This way I will at least be doing something science related, hoping that they will let it slide about not taking more classes. Because I know Baylor is annoyingly particular about that.

Hey everyone,

I graduated with a Biology degree, and know that there are plenty of jobs that are non-biology related (e.g sales consultant, engineering, front office assistant, and etc.)

I was wondering what is a good salary with your biology degree? I have multiple interviews for different types of jobs like sales consultant. I noticed that a lot of the people that were hiring commended me for my GPA and degree that I obtained. However, I am not sure how much should I expect.

Thanks

Honestly for most jobs, your degree doesn't matter (unless it's a pre-professional degree like engineering or architecture, etc). Your main goal is to communicate that you're competent, hard working, and have good problem solving skills, which you've undoubtedly developed by taking classes needed to gain a degree in Biology.

What kind of sales consultant job are you talking about? Like working in retail? You should expect $10-$12 per hour with retail... They def don't consider degrees with that. I've worked in sales and it's mostly commission based, so expect a lower base salary. This will definitely depend on the field and your location, but this could range anywhere from $25,000-$50,000 + 2-10% commission. Again, depends on the field and product.

Bummer, you must be from a small town.

I did apply this cycle. I feel I already took enough postbacc classes and I'm about have a child, so I needed income. This way I will at least be doing something science related, hoping that they will let it slide about not taking more classes. Because I know Baylor is annoyingly particular about that.

Oh yes..a little less than 20 thousand people. No Starbucks, no chipotle, no chicken fil a....lol

But I see! Congrats on the child! If you have taken so many post bac classes, then it would be pointless to take more that's irrelevant to dentistry. There's only so much you can take. You are still volunteering right? Baylor loves continued volunteering

Honestly for most jobs, your degree doesn't matter (unless it's a pre-professional degree like engineering or architecture, etc). Your main goal is to communicate that you're competent, hard working, and have good problem solving skills, which you've undoubtedly developed by taking classes needed to gain a degree in Biology.

What kind of sales consultant job are you talking about? Like working in retail? You should expect $10-$12 per hour with retail... They def don't consider degrees with that. I've worked in sales and it's mostly commission based, so expect a lower base salary. This will definitely depend on the field and your location, but this could range anywhere from $25,000-$50,000 + 2-10% commission. Again, depends on the field and product.

I have one job interview as a Sale executive for Sears and the other interview as a sale consultant for a garage company. The garage company told me that I will be answering calls, and driving to the client's home. That is where I will be estimating the price to organize their garage using our product. When I received a phone call from the company, they told me I can bring home anywhere from $4,000-$6,000 per month.

I am just wondering how accurate this is. I failed to mention that I do have some experiences in customer service, as I have worked as a front office assistant for another company for 2-3 years.

I have one job interview as a Sale executive for Sears and the other interview as a sale consultant for a garage company. The garage company told me that I will be answering calls, and driving to the client's home. That is where I will be estimating the price to organize their garage using our product. When I received a phone call from the company, they told me I can bring home anywhere from $4,000-$6,000 per month.

I am just wondering how accurate this is. I failed to mention that I do have some experiences in customer service, as I have worked as a front office assistant for another company for 2-3 years.

No bio invovled?

Members don't see this ad :)

Like I said before, sales jobs are typically commission based, so I'm sure $4,000-$6,000 per month is technically possible, but it'll be largely based on how many units you sell. For instance if you only sell one garage system during the month, you'll probably make much less. If you sell fifty, I'm sure you'll make way more. Once you start talking to the company about the pay structure, you should ask questions about commission rate and how others typically perform within their first six months working. Sales isn't for everyone, but I think it's one of those life skills that's really useful to have experienced.

Like I said before, sales jobs are typically commission based, so I'm sure $4,000-$6,000 per month is technically possible, but it'll be largely based on how many units you sell. For instance if you only sell one garage system during the month, you'll probably make much less. If you sell fifty, I'm sure you'll make way more. Once you start talking to the company about the pay structure, you should ask questions about commission rate and how others typically perform within their first six months working. Sales isn't for everyone, but I think it's one of those life skills that's really useful to have experienced.

Thanks. Where do you work at now?

Nope. During the phone call, they respected the fact that I graduated from a prestigious university with a biology degree.

I think you should take the job if offered. IT would make great interview material whIle you wait for an acceptance.

I think you should take the job if offered. IT would make great interview material whIle you wait for an acceptance.

Thanks man! I will be interviewing for the job soon. I am applying to a lot of jobs, but who knew that a biology degree can actually get you a job OUTSIDE of research.

Hey everyone,

Thanks
Same here, I got a temporary teaching certificate. I teach middle school science--couldn't fathom dealing with high schoolers. 48K here.

Good luck on your interview!

Same here, I got a temporary teaching certificate. I teach middle school science--couldn't fathom dealing with high schoolers. 48K here.

Kids are so mean nowadays lol

You could do teach for america...I'm sure you'd def. get into a dental school right after that program.

Funny you say that, I could imagine teaching middle schoolers. Either way, teaching is a great job for our position!