For those who got into Harvard, Upenn, Columbia...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkim85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 3.7~3.8 GPA
AA:23 TS:26 PA:22

what are my chances??

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'll definitely get into Upenn. Columbia, you'll most likely receive an interview. Harvard, I'm not too sure..

If you are international, slim. Penn maybe. But Columbia and Harvard not looking great. But you will get in somewhere don't worry too much. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are international, slim. Penn maybe. But Columbia and Harvard not looking great. But you will get in somewhere don't worry too much. :thumbup:

Isn't Columbia private ??

I don't know where you guys get your information about International schools and ... But the chance of International student for any of the private school is the same as the American student.

oh you are from canada...so that GPA is not that high for a Canadian applicant...
DAT is really high though so probably UPenn...possibly columbia interview...harvard would be based on your other things...

oh you are from canada...so that GPA is not that high for a Canadian applicant...
DAT is really high though so probably UPenn...possibly columbia interview...harvard would be based on your other things...

How do you know that is not a high GPA for Canadian students ?
Where do you get these information?

I'm from Canada

Ok !! I am from Canada as well but that does not answer my question.
How do you know her GPA is Low for Canadian Applicant ? Did you mean applying to Canadian schools ?

The reason I am asking this is that I have spoken to many private schools in US and they do not care if you are from Canada or NOT. State sponsored universities is something different.

Your test scores appear high enough to maybe get you an interview.

From what I've heard, all those schools are selective enough to look beyond just grades and test scores. Can you give us a little bit more information? like, what makes you stand out, or what extracurriculars have you done?

I don't know how much truth there is to it but I heard that when you are applying to these private schools even though they don't care much about your residential status, they generally compare students that come from the same country. so if the school receives like 100 applicants from Canada, I heard they tend to group these as kind of a separate group and select a few. Since Canadian applicants generally have pretty high GPAs because the way AADSAS calculates GPA kinda makes them inflated, I think you may need a bit higher GPA as a Canadian applicant than US applicants. Of course, I may be totally wrong...but most of my friends who got into US dental schools like UPenn had their GPAs in upper 3.8 to 4.0...............

Just move to US. Problem solved.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how much truth there is to it but I heard that when you are applying to these private schools even though they don't care much about your residential status, they generally compare students that come from the same country. so if the school receives like 100 applicants from Canada, I heard they tend to group these as kind of a separate group and select a few. Since Canadian applicants generally have pretty high GPAs because the way AADSAS calculates GPA kinda makes them inflated, I think you may need a bit higher GPA as a Canadian applicant than US applicants. Of course, I may be totally wrong...but most of my friends who got into US dental schools like UPenn had their GPAs in upper 3.8 to 4.0...............

I don't think there is any truth to this. I have spoken to few private schools and none mentioned anything like that. Plus, it is no where in their sites.

Also, an applicant who has a 3.9 GPA from Canada, can easily get into Canadian schools if he/she has an average of 22 /23 in their DAT and 22+ in their carving.

So why someone with such a high GPA will go to US is beyond me.
Anyway, I be interested to see your source for this information if you find anything like that.

I don't understand what is warranting the "slim" responses. Just from a GPA/DAT standpoint, he/she is statistically above the average matriculated student for Penn/Columbia. Of course it goes without saying that those are just a piece of the pie, but I think the OP is in a good position for interviews.

I have approximately 3000 volunteer hours
more than 2000 research hours and much much more...

However, from last year cycle, I had an impression that many people with high stats get into columbia and Upenn with no problems... I'm not sure about harvard because that school is number 1 d-school in states...

Regarding My GPA... well I screwed up my first year and that brought my GPA down.. However, except my first year I averaged about 3.85 in canadian GPA each year.

I have approximately 3000 volunteer hours
more than 2000 research hours and much much more...

However, from last year cycle, I had an impression that many people with high stats get into columbia and Upenn with no problems... I'm not sure about harvard because that school is number 1 d-school in states...

Regarding My GPA... well I screwed up my first year and that brought my GPA down.. However, except my first year I averaged about 3.85 in canadian GPA each year.

Kim
How come you are not applying to Canadian schools ??!
I know many Canadian schools drop your worst year and 3.85 is quite competitive.

I don't think there is any truth to this. I have spoken to few private schools and none mentioned anything like that. Plus, it is no where in their sites.

Also, an applicant who has a 3.9 GPA from Canada, can easily get into Canadian schools if he/she has an average of 22 /23 in their DAT and 22+ in their carving.

So why someone with such a high GPA will go to US is beyond me.
Anyway, I be interested to see your source for this information if you find anything like that.

haha the thing is, when AADSAS calculates GPA, it's higher than what it would be in Canada.
for example, my Canadian cGPA is only high 3.8 but when AADSAS calculated mine it was close to 4.0

so going to US is advantageous for canadians in many ways...!!! :)

Have you already submitted your application?

lol u make look like us canadians with a 3.5 21/21/20 are screwed

don't be! sorry if I made it sound like that. I also have many friends w/ like 3.5 CANADIAN GPAs with 20+ AA getting into NYU, USC, and UoP

when I said it may not be high, I was talking for THESE (UPenn, columbia, Harvard) schools!!!

why is everyone undermining canadian gpa's?? :(

If you've already applied, isn't it a moot point what others might think of your chances? My suggestion with these posts is always to list your strengths and weaknesses along with your stats. That way we know whether or not you have something legitimate to be worried about. When you just list stats which aren't low, it's pretty obvious that you are asking more for praise than suggestions.

im soooooooooooooooooooooo glad i found this site a full two years before im going to apply. had i done so during my app cycle im 99% sure i would have /wrist while jumping from highest part of the grand canyon. the amount of nonsense and fear mongering that goes on here is laughable. about 5% of the actual posts are useful and can be found almost exclusively in the stickies.

If you've already applied, isn't it a moot point what others might think of your chances? My suggestion with these posts is always to list your strengths and weaknesses along with your stats. That way we know whether or not you have something legitimate to be worried about. When you just list stats which aren't low, it's pretty obvious that you are asking more for praise than suggestions.

+1 Couldn't have said it better myself

im soooooooooooooooooooooo glad i found this site a full two years before im going to apply. had i done so during my app cycle im 99% sure i would have /wrist while jumping from highest part of the grand canyon. the amount of nonsense and fear mongering that goes on here is laughable. about 5% of the actual posts are useful and can be found almost exclusively in the stickies.

If it bothers you so bad, why must you prove yourself correct and just add a bunch more nonsense to the thread?! Thanks for posting, very insightful....

be more fair to me. my per day post average was as high as 15 in july. right now its under 6 and decreasing daily. before long its gonna be like .25 per day. plus, i never said i did not contribute to the nonsense. :)

don't be! sorry if I made it sound like that. I also have many friends w/ like 3.5 CANADIAN GPAs with 20+ AA getting into NYU, USC, and UoP

when I said it may not be high, I was talking for THESE (UPenn, columbia, Harvard) schools!!!

hmm good to hear, i have quite a few friends that got into BU as well, but NYU and UoP are top choices

Guys you never know what will happen.

I know one girl who got accepted to UPenn with 19 DAT and she is Canadian.

But she had 4.0 gpa.

I think D-schools look for something specia (don't know what they are...)l, not just looking at applicants' numbers.