Forbes puts Anesthesiology as #1 highest paid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surfer

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The most recent issue of Forbes Magazine ranks the top 25 and worst 25 paid jobs in America.

The #1 highest paid job in America was Anesthesiology. Here's what I don't get... it says the AVERAGE salary for an anesthesiologist in America is $184,000. That seems low to me, but I'm just an intern so what do I know?

What do you guys think? Anybody else read the article?

Members don't see this ad.

The most recent issue of Forbes Magazine ranks the top 25 and worst 25 paid jobs in America.

The #1 highest paid job in America was Anesthesiology. Here's what I don't get... it says the AVERAGE salary for an anesthesiologist in America is $184,000. That seems low to me, but I'm just an intern so what do I know?

What do you guys think? Anybody else read the article?

When a stock is rated by EVERYONE as a 'Buy' and "can't lose" bet that is when you SELL.

Please do some research on average salary as this has been discussed before.

Blade

chill out blade. i'm not asking how much people make. i'm asking what people think about the article.

Members don't see this ad :)
Surfer,

I was being sarcastic in my previous post. The average CRNA makes around $135,000 plus full benefit package (W-2) for 40 hours a week. Since the average Anesthesiologist works about 50 hours a week this means that a CRNA would earn about $200,000 plus full benefit package working those hours. Thus, $184,000 does not represent accurate information unless it is pertains to CRNA income.

I wonder how many NURSING fields pay $200,000 plus benefits ($50,000 benefit package) for 50 hours per week? I bet you could count the number on one finger.

Blade

Surfer,

I was being sarcastic in my previous post. The average CRNA makes around $135,000 plus full benefit package (W-2) for 40 hours a week. Since the average Anesthesiologist works about 50 hours a week this means that a CRNA would earn about $200,000 plus full benefit package working those hours. Thus, $184,000 does not represent accurate information unless it is pertains to CRNA income.

I wonder how many NURSING fields pay $200,000 plus benefits ($50,000 benefit package) for 50 hours per week? I bet you could count the number on one finger.

Blade

Even the CRNAs are that good off? Holy crap. Maybe I should do anesthesiology then. :smuggrin:

Even the CRNAs are that good off? Holy crap. Maybe I should do anesthesiology then. :smuggrin:

Yes, the CRNA's are that "good off." I quoted AVERAGE CRNA pay which means there are thousands of CRNA's earning significantly more money than that. Those who work solo easily earn in the Mid 200's/low 300's plus benefits. Those who work like a Resident:laugh: earn in the Mid 200's working for a Group in the ACT model.

A Nurse with a BSN who has experience in the PACU, ER or Intensive Care can not find a better financial deal in the field of Nursing than going on to CRNA school.

Blade

A Nurse with a BSN who has experience in the PACU, ER or Intensive Care can not find a better financial deal in the field of Nursing than going on to CRNA school.

Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised that you turned yet another thread about anesthesiology into a thread about CRNA's/midlevels/etc.

Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised that you turned yet another thread about anesthesiology into a thread about CRNA's/midlevels/etc.

That is how you choose to read it. Another way to view it is if the pay for a CRNA is that high then the pay for an Anesthesiologist (currently) is even higher.

Blade

That is how you choose to read it. Another way to view it is if the pay for a CRNA is that high then the pay for an Anesthesiologist (currently) is even higher.

Blade

Maybe if we make more CRNAs they will have to compete with each other for jobs and salaries will drop right back where they belong. Maybe this will happen BEFORE they gain independence, and BEFORE we lose our high paying private reimbursements.

In the meantime, the fight continues. By the way, I started some **** at Columbia. We're organizing. AANA, watch your back!

:)

Maybe if we make more CRNAs they will have to compete with each other for jobs and salaries will drop right back where they belong. Maybe this will happen BEFORE they gain independence, and BEFORE we lose our high paying private reimbursements.

In the meantime, the fight continues. By the way, I started some **** at Columbia. We're organizing. AANA, watch your back!

:)

There you go bro. I plan on the same. I need to be a bit careful of bridge burning since I'm still a med student, but even still.......

Blade

I'm so impressed that your can turn everything into fighting against CRNA.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyway, I envy the good paying for anesthesiologists and CRNAs in USA. We also work about 50~60 hours a week, but as present, it's impossible for us to earn so much, actually, less than 1/10 of yours.:rolleyes::mad:

I'm so impressed that your can turn everything into fighting against CRNA.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyway, I envy the good paying for anesthesiologists and CRNAs in USA. We also work about 50~60 hours a week, but as present, it's impossible for us to earn so much, actually, less than 1/10 of yours.:rolleyes::mad:

I guess it's all relative. As long as China continues to allow conditions such as those in this video to remain, you shouldn't expect a large increase in compensation in MANY sectors of your labor market. It's kinda hard to ask the boss for a raise when a 1000 other dudes are willing to do THIS....

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2ca_1179747718

Just wait till Hillary gets a hold of our healthcare system.

How come that thing does not mention radiologists, orthopods, or neurosurgeons? I call BS or political agenda. How come it does not mention CRNA's, either? I'm sure they make more than the average pediatrician.

Just wait till Hillary gets a hold of our healthcare system.

I always hear this. I don't think that any candidate has a real plan for healthcare beyond saying they will reform it. Things probably need to change, in what way I don't know and neither do politicians for that matter. I know residents and students who have gone to school in England and from what they tell me, government run healthcare is not up to par...something along the lines of the less than ten neurologists in Ireland. These are neurologists who participate in the NHS or whatever they call it. One intern said that for Rad Onc treatment people have to travel about five hours. That doesn't sound too good does it, my mom received radiation treatment for metastatic breast cancer and five hours of travel is not something you want to have to deal with. Also, I think the insurance companies would have something to say about this supposed new national health care. I think they are turning a little bit of a profit with the way things are. All in all I'm just tired of hearing about this "wait till Hillary takes over".

On a separate note I have been reading this forum frequently and will be applying to anesthesiology in the fall. Only two more days of third year left.

I think you misunderstood me. If Hillary has a crack at the system....it WONT be good. She doesnt say much about change in healthcare because her complete failure in the early 90's when her hubby was in charge will be brought up.

I doubt she will win....or praying she doesnt.

I hope she doesn't win as well. I don't think that any politician is going to be able to make sweeping changes as they claim. It's always the same, they say whatever to be elected and then very rarely is any effective action taken. I don't think the people in this country understand how healthcare works in Europe. I don't claim to either, but people see free healthcare and automatically assume it's the way to go. I don't believe it is.

It's interesting to hear about how medicine works in other countries. I've spoken with many physicians from Canada and Europe. From my limited understanding the quality of care is OK but you have to wait a LONG time to get anything done as far as elective procedures, imaging, etc. Also, they don't have near the legal threat from the lawyers that we do here.