Foreign trained dentist in OMS residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EuSiriBrazil

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have questions about residency (OMS) for foreign graduates (no American citizenship or permanent residency).

Anyone know if residency programs discriminate against foreign graduates of American dental schools due to visa problems? Do they consider foreign graduates of American dental schools, but isn't it more difficult to get in if you are a foreigner?

I am foreign trained dentist and PhD in pharmacology, I did part of my PhD at Boston University, I have 90 in NDBE part, I published my tesis in Nature Medicine and I am cordinator of the health department in a NGO in Brazil. What's the odds to get into the residency?

Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

Visa situation aside, your greatest challenge might be satisfying many programs’ dental degree from an ADA accredited institution and US licensure requirements. If you can work those out the VISA situation shouldn't be a problem. However I'm just a lowly dental student, I could be way off on this one...:D

Hi all,

I have questions about residency (OMS) for foreign graduates (no American citizenship or permanent residency).

Anyone know if residency programs discriminate against foreign graduates of American dental schools due to visa problems? Do they consider foreign graduates of American dental schools, but isn't it more difficult to get in if you are a foreigner?

I am foreign trained dentist and PhD in pharmacology, I did part of my PhD at Boston University, I have 90 in NDBE part, I published my tesis in Nature Medicine and I am cordinator of the health department in a NGO in Brazil. What's the odds to get into the residency?

Thank you,

No, I don't think you will be discriminated against for having a foreign dental degree. However, unless you have something outstanding in your resume or a US institutional letter of reference, you will be outside of the committee's radar.

Most US OMFS programs have 4 year spots open for foreign grads. 6-year MD track is only for US citizens/Permanent residents only (medical school regulations). Then again, unless you are eligible for a dental license in any state in the US, the chances of you getting accepted into an OMFS program is close to nil... unless you have some sources/back up/personal connection with the program director.

:sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I don't think you will be discriminated against for having a foreign dental degree. However, unless you have something outstanding in your resume or a US institutional letter of reference, you will be outside of the committee's radar.

Most US OMFS programs have 4 year spots open for foreign grads. 6-year MD track is only for US citizens/Permanent residents only (medical school regulations). Then again, unless you are eligible for a dental license in any state in the US, the chances of you getting accepted into an OMFS program is close to nil... unless you have some sources/back up/personal connection with the program director.

:sleep:

Vandy is probably the only exception. I believe that their 6-year OMFS/MD tract is only available to foreign students. However I'm not sure if thats foreign dental school graduates or non-US citizens/residents that graduated from ADA accredited dental programs.
Also to the op which institution signed off on your PhD? Doing part of your PhD research/coursework at a US instituition might not carry the same weight as actually having the degree conferred by a US program, even if the majority of the work was done elsewhere.

Well the biggest obstacle like it's been said is the DDS/DMD from an accredited schools. I don't know about any program that would overlook this requirement.
Other than that there are 2 main issues. Visa and MD. If you don't have at least permenant residency, the number of programs available to you falls down to about 6. I don't know all of them but for example, Montefiore in NYC, USC and Houston.
Actually, USC might even offer you the MD track. Which brings me to the second point. Dual degree programs (with MD) typically don't accept foreign dentists or dentists who completed international programs in US schools. Maybe in your case the PhD might make a difference. Although if it is not awarded by a US university, I doubt it will convince the medical school to accept you.
One last thing, if you consider the MD track, you should consider this. New laws in the US mandate that H1b visa (that's the one that would allow you to apply for a green card) not be held for more than 6 years. So if you use up all the 6 years in a program, you will have no legal status once you leave the program.
Good Luck